grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  3:51:42 PM  Show Profile
My day started full of purpose and joy. The bottle kids and Opal had a great morning eating in the back yard grass - having a go at a great day. I put everyone up for their morning nap and I went to work on the outside chores and then inside to get started on fiber. By noon I went to go give the kids their bottles and as I walked to the barn I found Opal dead by the door. I could not believe it. She was perfect not more then two hours before.

I picked her up to make sure she was gone but I could also tell by her mother (Olivia) behavior and calling. The bottle kids where frantic and wanted me to pick them up. I sat in the barn holding Opal and in turn holding the bottle kids. Finally after about an hour I left the barn. I checked her over and could not find any signs of a problem.. It was hard to see thru the tears but I continued on. I then placed my Wee One Opal in a sheet and headed to bury her in the forest.

I have been doing this farm for 15 years now and have had to say goodbye to many a four legged family member but I must admit the passing of first Sugar, then Ebony and now Opal has but this gal over the edge. I am thankful for the 4 months I had this sweet soul with me, her kindness to the bottle kids, her giving her mother a reason to stand up and walk on a broken leg and her daily yelling to be first out of the barn but I just think this was the last straw...

Forgive me for pouring this all out but I know you ladies here would understand. Would you say a prayer for my sweet Opal and swift journey to a better place. I wished I could have had you here longer but thank you for the time I got.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  4:23:21 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I can feel your pain right now. I am so sorry. I will be praying for you. I don't have much time right now but I will come back and check on you. Sending many many hugs your way.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  5:32:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh Grace!
My heart is hurting for you. I will certainly say a couple of prayers for you and Opal.
Hugs to all of you.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  6:00:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kris and Marly - just when I thought this day could not suck any worse I thought I would go outside and walk the places Opal ate just incase with all the rain I wanted to make sure there was not an issue. I got half why out there and without warning a huge hail storm came out of the clouds... I ran as fast as I could, aches and bruises will be showing very soon. We had a half hour of larger then quarter size hail and tons of rain. So now I took pictures which will post on the blog later tonight or tomorrow (dial up takes forever) and to make sure that if this storm created more damage I would have proof.. Now I have to dig out the pipes in the fields to help with the standing water. I have not found all the hens and I could not get the llamas back into a pasture with a barn so I will sit with them and check them over.

This day just SUCKS, BIG TIME!!!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  6:31:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh no, Grace! I'm so sorry! That IS a horrible day! I'll say a prayer for you tonight. :(

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  6:34:09 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry Grace. Some days are just huge dark places that you wish you could pretend never happened. There is always light somewhere. Perhaps the hail was mirroring your anguish and now (unfortunately) you have a bruised body to mirror your bruised heart. Sometimes it Just Isn't Fair...!!! As Anne of Green Gables said "It was a real Jonah Day!!" Know you are in my heart and in my prayers. I am sending you light and love and support that you will make it through this. There really isn't any choice is there? Some days all we can do is put one foot in front of the other and let the tears fall as we do what we must. It's never easy, but somehow we manage to do it anyway. Let us know about the hens and the Llamas. I am sure we are all pulling for you. I wish I was closer. Just remember that Opal may not be there in body but she most certainly is in spirit. Nothing ever truly passes away, only transforms from our physical sight to our spiritual one. But you are definately right - This day really sucked big time.....now even though you can't see it through the tears see it through your spirit, your heart. The heart and the love for your 4 legged family will get you going. When everything is finally finished - that's when you get to collapse and finally let it all go. Light and love my friend.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  6:35:57 PM  Show Profile
Too much sadness. I'm praying the hens and llamas are OK, there is no more damage to your property and that your bruises won't be bad. I think I'll ask that you get an extra helping of his love tomorrow too.
Thinking about you.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  8:34:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much ladies for such loving words - I really am hating this day. After writing I decided to go out and get to work on clearing the drainage pipes so the water would flow into the pond and stop flooding the girls pasture. While doing that I was looking for the hen and as I stood knee high in water with a metal shovel the heavens opened up and the hail came back. I sprinted into the chicken coop, wet and battered but the hen did follow me. So us wet, scared hens sat in the coop for about a half hour or so with lightening and buckets of rain pouring down. The llama's still would not come in but they did lean up against the house which gave them some protection. When the rain stopped I closed up the coop and checked on everyone again. Needles to say everyone was scared and glad to see me. We are presently under a Tornado Warning so I will make a bed in the recliner chair in the basement just in case. Moved a few more supplies down their and will be hoping for a better day tomorrow.

I thank you again ladies for letting me share with you - I know you have all lost sweet wee ones and so you can relate. It also for some reason brought back the memories of my Step Father who has passed so many, many years ago - Opal's smile reminded me of my fathers and he would have loved to have seen my farm but he passed two years before I purchased this place. He would have been thrilled - he was a real outdoors man... Gave me my love for the outdoors.

Night ladies I am heading to the basement - see you tomorrow - God willing...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  04:51:40 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I am still praying for you. I so hope all is well there this morning and that you will go outside and see a beautiful sunrise and remember all the good days you have on that farm. Please let us know how you are this morning.

Hugs, Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  05:18:05 AM  Show Profile
Morning Ladies

As I spent most of the evening sleeping in a chair in the basement I will be working on getting this body standing straight. I made a big pot of coffee this morning and will be putting one foot in front of another this morning. Everyone around Colorado will be cleaning up this morning and those in the burn areas and dealing with sides of mountains coming down so we all have big work to do today. Llama's are still not coming in but came thru without much harm. We are expected more storms late this afternoon so we will do the best we can.

I will load the pictures this morning and post on the blog by who know's how long it will take for the computer to read them but I will get on it.

You could hear early this morning the frogs who now have a nice big pond so see someone is happy for the weather. Stay safe ladies and again thank you for letting me post.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  06:04:27 AM  Show Profile
Grace,

I wish I was there to give you a hug. No one around here understands my deep love for my two pets. I just lost one of my cats, and the only other girl in my home a few months ago. I still miss her so very much. So now I have a doggie and one other kitty. My pets are my heart, they give love and an understanding ear. I can always hug them and give them a kiss on their little wet noses. They are my fur babies. I would have a whole farm if I could! Even though if I mention doing just that, everyone looks at me as if I have truly gone and lost my mind. I just learned that we can have chickens where I live, so they are next! Know that you are thought of. That is one of the things I so love about this site. There are so many that think like me and I don't feel like I am such a freaky odd ball.

Hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

Edited by - Marcy on Jul 14 2011 06:07:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  06:52:24 AM  Show Profile
Just know that this Freaky Odd Ball is right there with you... This morning Olivia (the mother of Opal) is not looking at me at all... It breaks my heart but I know she is feeling the loss of her wee one. Folks do not give animals credit for feeling but I have seen over the years the heartache they go thru - some more then others but none the less they do feel and display greif...

How exciting about the chickens - my hens look like drowned rats with all this rain - giving them a treat this morning - frozen blueberries.
Can't make up for the horrible weather but it is a bright spot for them.

Hugs and many thanks Marcy for your kind words.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  07:05:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so sorry to hear that Opal passed away! *hugs* My heart is with you!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  07:10:38 AM  Show Profile
They do feel the loss! I've seen it in dogs, cats and horses. My mare was the saddest. She lost her foal and was desolate for weeks. I was only a child and it was one of the saddest things I ever saw. It was my first time to observe grief in any creature including humans. It had a huge impact on me. That is where I learned that just being present is the best you can do for someone so deeply affected by grief.
Know that I am there, present with you in your grief Grace. Can you feel my hand on your shoulder? No, your left shoulder. That is God's hand on your right.
Hugs on you Sister.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  07:36:44 AM  Show Profile
well what a sad thing to have happen. it breaks my heart to hear such things. i hope you are better today. its all been said except i send my love and hugs to you. so very sad grace. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  11:10:43 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I'm so sorry to hear about Opal. What a tragedy. I wonder if the coming storm didn't have an affect on her. I know that horses will sometimes colic right after or before a bad storm. I lost my first horse who was in his senior years right after a freaky morning storm that came out of nowhere many years ago. He was perfectly fine right before the storm. Then the heavens opened up and a summer storm blew through that lasted only a few minutes. Just as we were preparing to leave for work I saw him laying in the pasture, rolling and groaning. That was it for Apache.
I'm certain the animals feel the changes in the weather more than we humans. How much I don't know, but it sounds like your storm was strong enough that their special senses just might have triggered something in Opal. That is just a big, useless guess at this point.

Hugs to you and your critters.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  11:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Love you so much Grace and will be praying for you both.
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

"Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  12:18:54 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much ladies - Alee I know you understand my connection as you have shared with me before of yours.

Connie I once had a cria llama that passed and I witnessed the most incredible way llama's show their grief. The immediate mother of the dead cria along with all her bloodline sat around the cria and hummed. They sat there till the sun went down and then came the next group of bloodlines who where next in line of power.They each in turn walked over to the baby touched noses with it and then went to the mother and touched her nose. Then they sat and hummed for many hours and this continued thru the night with each bloodline. The mother never left the baby while this went on till sunrise. I sat out there all night too and just was amazed at the feelings of love and sadness. When I felt it was time to take the baby I touched heads with the Mother until I felt she understood it was time. I have witnessed this three times on this farm since that first passing - amazing. So I understand Connie that if we have the honor to be included in their world it is magical and much like our own grief.

Thank you so much Sherrye I know you have been thru this too and it is in sharing this with folks who understand that I heal.

Paula I have experienced that too with the weather - that is why I worried so also for the bottle kids - I thought maybe they would be the one's most effected by the weather. Then I checked on the mother Olivia all night between storms to make sure she did not go over the edge.

Hannah I was so sad to hear you had a loss recently too - my heart is with you - love and light to the little one.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  12:48:33 PM  Show Profile
That is incredible Grace. I have heard that elephants stand over their dead as well. It must have been amazing and sad to be part of that. I'll always believe that mammals have more "feeling" than most folks understand. Grief may not mean the same thing it means to us but they still grieve.
My dog of a life time is in his last days I am afraid. I am so feeling your grief as I anticipate mine.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  12:55:45 PM  Show Profile
I too witnessed something similar when my wether, Chisolm passed. After we buried him, all the other sheep went and laid down on top of his grave. They stayed there for several hours. I have never seen them lay there again since.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  1:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Grace. :) The loss of a little one is so hard.
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

"Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  2:31:46 PM  Show Profile
This thread is bringing me to tears! :( I'm so sorry.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  8:41:27 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I am sending a prayer for you and all the souls you look after. I hope you get some restful sleep tonight to help repair your body and spirit. Your love for your life and livestock comes thru so loud and clearly that I have found myself admiring you and your resilience time and again. I tip my hat to you farmgirl and thank you for the beautiful stories you share.

marianne
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  04:32:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh Grace, I am so sorry. I feel your pain. I hope you are begining to have a better week. atahe loss of our beloved pets is sometimes feels best when we can share.

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  06:00:56 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies - not much sleep another storm and the frog's - hundreds all singing so loud that it kept the whole farm up. Glad they are enjoying the continual rain.

Connie I am so sorry that soon you will be without your life pal - I am sitting at the same door with my Kasha and I know that that day will fracture me above all the other losses. She is my heart and soul but I find more time to be with her just in case. I will be there for you Connie - as best I can with the distance between us.

Hannah Hugs and prayers still coming your way.
Sheri we had sheep do that too but I was so amazed at the groupings and non verbal mourning they displayed. I did have our first ewe loss a baby after about having three years of no complications. Her mourning was so profound that I thought she was going to die. She would not eat, drink and just made this low sound. I had the vet out, several other long time breeders and they all said to put her down. I just could not - after everyone left I sat with her for almost a day and her and I cried and mourned the loss. It finally hit me, I got up and brought in the ram who was a very kind soul. Everyone told me it was a bad idea. The he would go after her or the other babies but instead he came and sat with us, his head on her her shoulder as she had her head in my lap. He made a sound I have never heard again. For hours he made that sound and it seemed to calm her and me as well. Then after about 6 hours he stood up, she stood up and they walked out of the barn side by side. After that she was fine and the following year she spent every waking moment loving on her newest baby. Learned a lot that year about the misconceptions folks have about rams...

Update on Olivia - she had a rough patch around 6 pm crying and trying to get out of their side of the barn - we where in another storm and I worried for her but the bottle kids ran around her and got her mind on them and that seemed to quite her down a bit. I will give her some Rescue Rememdy again today for her mind and spirit. We are going thru a lot of that around here.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  07:28:43 AM  Show Profile
Reading all these stories is so amazing to me. I know animals suffer just like we do. I know they miss their babies. It's so sad. I took the 3 wethers up the road to their new home and poor Sandy is grieving. I have to remember to be patient with her. She is a Nubian and VERY loud right now. She misses her boys. Abby is ok because I kept her girl. But she misses her boy too, I know. I also have a Rat Terrier who just turned 14 the 7th of July. her twin sister died in Jan. She is so deaf but she still hears thunder and wants to come in. She's like a very old lady right now.

Grace, I am still thinking of you. You have been through so much these past few months. I am praying for a sunny happy day on the farm for you.

Hugs, Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Mystery of Opal's Passing Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page