countryteacher
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Deanna
Jameson Missouri
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  12:47:21 PM  Show Profile
I have been picking blackberries. They grow wild around here. Is anyone else picking blackberries? What all do you do with them?
I make pies and jam. I freeze all the extras for later pie making.

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  2:15:24 PM  Show Profile
Hey Deanna. I had some blackberries given to me. I hate picking them and actually don't like them much except for jelly. So that's what I have been doing today. I just made 14 1/2 pints of jelly. I have enough juice to amke another batch but ran out of pectin. So I will just put it in the fridge til I can get more. I also bought a bunch of peaches and made 5 half pints of peach-blueberry freezer jam. Yum! Can't wait ti try it. So I think we might have enough jelly to last awhile.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  2:59:24 PM  Show Profile
Make juice out of them if you have enough. It is almost as good for you as elderberry

Michele
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  3:16:28 PM  Show Profile
I love blackberries. They are quite expensive to buy though so I have never made a pie with them. You are so lucky to be able to have such a bountiful crop of them! Enjoy everything you make or bake with them.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  6:39:24 PM  Show Profile
No blackberries yet, not until August for me. I am just getting raspberries and blackcaps...the brambles are a pain, but the berries are so worth it!

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  7:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
We are heading back to our farm this weekend. Blackberries grow wild along the levies, ditches, and driveways. I can't wait to see if they are ready! With the extra rain we had here, they should be even better than years past!!
I make pies, cobblers, and jellies with them, freeze them, and fell in love with putting them on a serving of sugar free frozen yogart when I was pregnant with my last DS. I got gestational diabetes, but if I only ate a few, I could get away with it. Now I love to eat them on ice cream sundies, or make a blackberry compote!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

countryteacher
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Deanna
Jameson Missouri
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  10:23:14 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Kristin, you have really been busy making all that jam:) So far I have only had pie. Peach-blueberry sounds like an interesting combination I would like to try.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic It's berry pickin' time! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page