Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 socialization for homeschooling/distance learning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic socialization for homeschooling/distance learning Next Topic
Page: of 2

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  05:10:42 AM  Show Profile
As I wrote in a previous post, my husband and I are very seriously looking into switching our daughters to homeschooling or distance learning in the next few years. We are leaning more towards a distance learning program because our state and district make homeschooling parents go through a lot of paperwork and scrutiny (I've seen the guidelines and they really look as if they are meant to discourage homeschooling altogether, which is sad and unfair).

When I mention our interest in this to people, they have a lot of negative responses, chief among them that if we do this, my girls will have no friends and will become sad, depressed, lonely, maladjusted and anti-social if we do this. Has anyone who has homeschooled or distance learned found this to be the case?

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  07:38:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, my son has been homeschooled all his life (well, he did go to a private preschool), and our home is always filled with other kids! He also attends church, participates in youth group, works with his dad on side jobs, takes golf and guitar lessons, and we take him to all sorts of wonderful places like museums, historical sites, etc. Whenever he is out and about he is constantly meeting new people, making new friends... He is anything but sad, depressed, lonely, maladjusted and anti-social. He's one of the most well-rounded, well-grounded, intelligent, funny, conversational and mature kids I've ever known. There are also a LOT of homeschool associations out there where your children can participate in group activities - both social AND educational. My sister-in-law and her kids meet with their homeschool association once a week. We had the priviledge of joining them once, and it was a fabulous experience.

Don't let the paperwork scare you. Remember: Your portfolio is your scrapbook of all your children's achievements. The required paperwork are necessary formalities, but once you do your first set, the following years won't be as scarey or difficult. We have a wonderful private evaluator who also has produced an amazing book to help guide her homeschooling families to prepare their portfolio. Our school district's evaluator is always extremely impressed with our portfolio, and always says he wishes he could use it as an example for his other homeschooling families. Of course, for legal reasons, he cannot, nor would I provide that. But I would be happy to direct you to her book, if you are interested. I'm not sure what your legal requirements are in your school district, but it might help. Also, keep in mind that some of the documents you'll provide in your first year are documents that you'll be able to photocopy and update in future years (i.e. your educational criteria, any necessary forms, birth certificates, etc.). Once you get going, it won't be so bad.

When we first decided to homeschool, Suzanne, my dad and his wife were absolutely horrible and unsupportive. My aunt had been a teacher and designed part of the curriculum for the state I grew up in, and she was very vocal about her reservations as well. But once they saw the portfolio, the results of required testing, and saw how great our son was doing compared to the other children in their lives who attend public school, I received quite a few apologies and accolades for my decision. I have also been told by our public school evaluator on several occasions that our son is receiving a superior education at home than he would have received at public school. So, please, don't let your people shoot you down or burst your bubble. You have to be willing to meet the commitments, and it does require a LOT of time, energy and dedication on your part, but in the end, it is totally worth it.

As an aside, our son is entering high school this fall. When discussing our options and giving him opportunity to choose: public school, private school, homeschool OR on-line education, he chose homeschool. Further, when discussing these possibilities with his private evaluator, her main concern was about the on-line education. She feels that it is to much "read and respond," instead of encouraging deep, critical thinking. Her description made me think of the term "fast food education." I know, however, there are a LOT of WONDERFUL on-line programs out there that include personal instruction and a lot of interaction with other students - it's not just cookie cutter Q&A. It just takes time to sort through what you want and what you feel would be best and most challenging - without being exasperating - for your kids.

Stay strong. If your heart is pulling you in a certain direction, do all the research you can. You will find the perfect fit for you and your family. You can do this! And you will be brilliant! And your girls with thrive!

Good luck, and big hugs of encouragement -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  08:02:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the encouragement, Nini. I have been so discouraged with those around me calling us nuts or borderline negligent parents for looking into homeschooling/distance learning. My sister-in-law, who I am very close to, is a teacher and, unfortunately, she doesn't support this idea, either. Then there are those who say, "That's too much work for you, you'll never be able to do it."

I am leaning more towards distance learning because it is considered being enrolled in private school in our district (at least that's what I've been told, but I am trying to get that I writing from our superintendent before we make any decisions) and I would like to be free of our district/state confines. However, even with distance learning, my plan is to supplement it with my own additional curriculum and activities not required by the program.

Have you heard anything about the distance learning programs offered by Oak Meadow or Laurel Springs? The names have come up again and again in my research, and the info they sent me looks good, but I have yet to track down anyone who has used either or knows someone who did.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  08:16:28 AM  Show Profile
Look up the website for 'Home School Legal Defense Association' or HSLDA. It's a .org website. They have all the legal info for every state and membership with them is absolutely priceless!

Most school officials and even the truancy officers don't have a clue about homeschool law. They will tell you all sorts of things that are untrue. They will have you fill out illegal paperwork so they can send the child services out to you and all sorts of things. I've been through it all. HSLDA has handled all the situations for me and kept my family safe.

My girls love bein homeschooled as it lets them pursue any subject or topic that catches their interest to it's end, instead of bein cut short by the teacher! It's so freeing and easy. It allows your children to be themselves and they are happier for it.

Also, keep in mind that home schooled people make up less than 1% of the country's prison population, which means that they are filled with 'perfectly socialized' people. Plus, when in your adult life, outside of a school reunion, are you ever gonna be in a large group of people all the same age as you? Home schooled children get regular socialization in the world with all ages and are better able to be comfortable with mixed groups later in life.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  08:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
We love homeschooling. I have had to cut back on things because my daughter is involved in too much.

Ohio is known to be hard about this. I agree that you should talk to HSDL first. I got all I needed to know from them. They have the laws. It isn't up to your local district. It is up to the state laws. Don't give your local district anything but a letter of intent.

You will love it and your kids will grow up happy and health.

You can also check out The Homeschool Lounge. It is a website that has a forum that people will help you with all your questions.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  8:13:46 PM  Show Profile
Definitely try it, Suzanne. If anyone official gives you grief, tell them you have a legal advisor they'll have to direct their enquiries to..i.e. HSLDA.

When people tell you they won't be socialized. Answer them, "to what, drugs, gangs, peer pressure, bullies, too many kids, sexual harassment, etc."

Every homeschooled kid I've seen seems more mature and self-confident. I only wish I had the patience to do it myself. I've tried just little work books and DD absolutely refuses. I've also had no luck in finding a local homeschool group. I think it would work better if I could.

Be patient with yourself. Fill out the paperwork at a comfortable pace. It doesn't HAVE to be done by the beginning of the school year. You should legally be able to withdraw your kids from public school at any time.

Most important, it's not permanent. I know a lot of parents take it one year or semester at a time. The stories I hear sound wonderful, though. They spend the day at the zoo or days researching one topic and covering it from all angles, from math to literature, etc. There's lots of creative time and it's self-paced.

Don't sell yourself short. You'll never know till you try.

Julie

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  10:08:05 PM  Show Profile
Also the statics show that home schooled children are usually the leaders in their jobs and communities. They can usually socialize with a variety of ages not just their own! And many other things. Also you may want to find your local home school co-op. (do a google) You can go on some of their field trips and fund raisers with out joining just to see how adjusted the children are in them, and if you would like it. I have went on some of them here, you pay more for the field trip but still get a discount for going with the group (just not the discount you would get if you were a member) and you get to see the parents and children a few times or as many times as you need before joining. At least that's what I have found here. I found I really love the home school co-op I found here, and there is more then one to choose from. But, the one I've been doing things with has a HUGE group, and it's been extremely fun going on their field trips, they have had stations all set up where different parents are teaching/reading/doing different things with the kids as you go along in the field trip and my girls loved it, and I could just go and go with the flow and not have to worry about a Cirr the co-op had more then enough stations of learning set up for the whole day! lol haha And my kids came home with a ton of stuff! (seeds, potted flowers-they planted, two or three arts and crafts they did, etc, and my dd wanted to keep going back to the story time! lol)

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  05:35:33 AM  Show Profile
The more I think about homeschooling or distance learning, the more I know I want to do it, and the more nervous I become.

It's like before I had my first daughter nine years ago and I told everyone around me I intended to breastfeed exclusively and on demand. My own mother, grandmother and aunt were horrified and also told me that breastfeeding was too much of a commitment for me and only "weirdos and hippies" (their words, CERTAINLY NOT MINE!) nursed their babies. So, I breastfed my daughter when no one was around, in secret like I was doing something wrong and bottle fed her formula in front of other people. By the time I got to the birth of my second daughter, I refused to listen to anyone about their opinions on this and exclusively breastfed her - anywhere I chose! I have done that with all my other daughters subsequently.

I just worry that I won't be able to do the homeschooling/distance learning because it is so against the grain in our area. Sometimes being a mom is just nerve-racking!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  07:21:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh that's so funny - I had a similar experience when I decided to breastfeed AND use cloth diapers. I thought my mother would pass out! LOL! But all went just fine, just like it did with you! :)

As far as name calling - "sticks and stones," girlfriend! Some people just never learn...

I love Julie's response to the socialization question! You GO girl!!!

You can do this, Suzanne. You can't let other people decide what is best for you and your children, because YOU and YOUR HUSBAND are the only ones who know what's best. :)

You are SO right, too - trying to make the best decisions for our children can be extremely stressful. You just have to "use your bean," as my Grandma would say, and follow your heart. When love is the key deciding factor, you really can't go wrong! :)

Hang in there - whatever decision you and your husband make for your girls, it will be the best one, because you love them more and know them better than anyone else in the whole world. Conformity does not equal love. Doing what's best for your children is love. :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 15 2011 07:55:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

kcmiller
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Kaye
Muscatine IA
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  10:28:55 AM  Show Profile
What great comments and advice Ladies! This is such a wonderful group. Suzanne, we have been homeschooling for 3 years now-2kids-one boy, one girl. While they are still young-we too have had to pull back on the social side ourselves, once you get into I am sure you will find the same thing.
We have also lived in one very homeschool friendly state and one that is more of a challenge. We are still loving it though and still committed to sticking it out. It brings us great joy in so many ways, it makes the whole going against the grain part seem so trivial to me!
Do your research, definitely check out HSLDA and any other support groups that might be in your area. You will find your way!

Kaye

**How can I keep from singing?**

http://4kacademy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  3:56:51 PM  Show Profile
Well I think the best thing to do when you are going against the grain of the people around you, is find people to surround yourself with that have like mindedness.

For instance thank goodness MY family is pro-breastfeeding, however, my inlaws not so much. My MIL both children have went on and on about me not being able to nurse properly saying the most bizzare things I ever heard-my nipples were too large and would choke the children, etc. Ok...yeah the human race didn't make it this long cause their mothers nips were too large and they were choking! UHG! lol haha How stupid! Any way, I started going to La Leche League and boy being around those women sure helped. I never really cared what others thought really and still did what I wanted, but at the same time was nice to have a support group of other mom's who felt the same way as me.

Same for homeschooling, most in my LLL group also like homeschooling and do homeschooling and I get a lot of advice and help from them. Then like I said I did a google and found my local home school co-op (most places have them you just probably don't know about them because you're not in that circle, so look for your own town's local one!) and start going! Again surround yourself with others who will be doing the same thing. I think it will help you a lot.

Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  5:46:30 PM  Show Profile
LLL changed a lot of my thinking. They are a wonderful group and I encourage all the pregnany women I know to search out their local chapters.

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  6:59:36 PM  Show Profile
Me too Liz! they have been hugely helpful for me. I sure wish I had started going like 6 years ago!

Go to Top of Page

Hope Floats
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Texas
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  10:19:10 AM  Show Profile
Several if not all of our forefathers were home schooled. My daughter has better social skills than most adults I know. I've been around several public schooled children who are withdrawn due to peer pressure. My daughter is a polite, well adjusted, creative, independent, responsible young lady and social goddess! We LOVE Homeschooling!
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  09:21:17 AM  Show Profile
We have been homeschooling since our big boys who are now 32 were 13 yo. Our three youngest are now 13, 15 today, and 16. The children participate in after school sports and other community activites. Our youngest son is very social. He makes new friends at any activity he attends. Our daughter has no time for the girls her age. she believes they are too screechy and into drama. She is cautious when dealing with new group situations. she has no problem chatting it up with adults. Our 16 year old has a lot of acquaintances. He is quite handsome and often has flocks of girls after him. He will talk to them but he has no interest right now in dating. He did that and I think was disappointed by the drama and the time it took to be a showpiece for a vapid girl.

Socialization or the ability of homeschool children to perform in an acceptable way for the people who do not approve is bunk. Our children need to be polite and know how to speak up for themselves and make relationships based on teir needs not on some nebulous adult.

The difference in our state between homschool children and private school children is that public school sports and afterschool activities are not accedssible to cihldren who are enrolled in a private school but are accessible to homeschool children.

I have never used a private school curriculum but I think it would be far more restrictive in what your child ha available to learn. I think it would be more stressful becasue you as the mother would still need to answer to an outside source about what your child is learning and how fast or slow he/she is learning. Right now we only have to answer to me and I am pretty hard on myself if the children are not progressing at a rate I find acceptable. On the other hand if he/she is not making progress I have the chance to look for a different way to teach the same concept that might be better for my child.

I guess if you are thinking of a private school you need to think about how your children learn and read how the curriculum is presented and see if it fits your child's learning style.

We use a catalog put out by Rainbowresource.com. They have both secular and religious programs. The catalog is more than 1300 pages long. I do not know of a more complete listing of what is out there. There are plenty of sites online as well.

Homeschooling does take more time than sending your child to school but there are far more positives and your children are only young once. For the detractors there are plenty of sites availiable to help if you do not know something.

Homeschooling is far more than notebooks. Our daughter who is a very reluctant reader read a book on Forensic anthropology for her science last year and loved it. Get hold of this catalog mentioned above and do your research.

Good luck

Holly

Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  7:47:15 PM  Show Profile
We started homeschooling last year for our 10, 8, and 6 year old kids. . .I am amazed at the social-ization they have!! Too much at times! There are so many opportunities for them to meet/get together with others. The socialization is with kids of different ages, not just their age-peers which is more natural I think.

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  05:53:25 AM  Show Profile
I would have to echo the women here in saying that once you get into homeschooling, you'll be amazed at the "social" opportunities you have, and you'll probably find out you have to back down from a lot of them! I remember when we first started homeschooling and were talking to my mom about all the different things we could do, she commented, "Why do they call it HOMEschooling? It sounds like you could almost never be HOME!" In MN there is a neat website which is basically a place where homeschoolers can post about co-ops, social groups, field trip opportunities, etc...so you're always in the loop about what's going on and what's available.

I still have to laugh about the socialization question. LOL. We always get that one too. But the best story I have was we were out with the kids buying our fishing licenses and the boys struck up this conversation with the lady who worked there. They were 6 and 7 at the time, I think. The woman said to me as I came up to pay "Can I ask a question? Do you homeschool?" And I answered that yes we did. She said "I can tell. I think your kids could talk to anyone!" Turns out her sister homeschooled too and she told me the major thing she had seen between her sisters kids and others was that her sisters kids would talk to anyone of any age. I find that my kids don't search out kids their own age when they are in a group of kids...or even NOT in a group. If we are out and about and there is a four year old there, the kids will talk and play with the four year old. If there is a 13 year old, the kids will talk and hang out with the 13 year old. They don't think anything of it because they don't have the experience of only being with kids their exact age all day.

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  06:14:15 AM  Show Profile
I have to say a BIG thank you to everyone who has been offering me support and encouragement on this topic and sharing their experiences with me.

Unfortunately, we need to rearrange some things in our lives in order for us to be in a position to homeschool, so it can't happen before next Fall. However, the more I have read everyone's comments and stories, the more I realize how much I really want to do this with my girls. I think I worry a lot about "failing" my daughters in some way by homeschooling them - as if I won't be smart enough or strong enough to succeed at it for them. But, it's as if the idea of homeschooling them keeps "calling" to me, and if I don't at least TRY it and answer that "call" and see what happens I'll regret it.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  06:51:47 AM  Show Profile
We love homeschooling. My son has friends, he's not depressed or sad and he does well in social situations. He knows how to behave and he has (and uses) good manners. Now we did attempt the public school bit a couple of times and THAT is when he was sad, crying and depressed! He complained that he couldn't concentrate in school due to other kids not behaving, he was tired of hearing his teacher yelling at the class because kids wouldn't listen, etc. He is much happier and healthier since we went back to homeschooling and we intend to continue homeschool. I have gotten locks of crap from people around here (some relatives and some not) about socialization, and friends and all that. I just ignore it. My son is happy with homeschool, he is happy with the friends he has and he isn't lacking for anything that I can tell. Besides that, he is alot like me in that he doesn't really care for large social gatherings so he does much better with his small group of friends. He isn't being pushed into doing anything because it is required by school, he eats a healthy lunch every day, he can take small breaks when he needs to. He has no distractions with his work (other than when he is just not in the mood but we can work around that!) We do take field trips sometimes (not as often as I'd like since I work outside the home), we go to local demonstrations (such as the Colonial Days, and re-enactments, etc), we do sometimes attend public workshops that are fun and educational and I do count this towards his schoolwork. He is socializing at these events and he is learning not to mention having a good time. You can try searching on Yahoo Groups for homeschool groups in your area. And with the socialization question--do you really want your children to learn how to socialize and behave from adults or children their own age (and we know how most children behave anymore...come to think of it adults don't seem to be too much better for the most part!). Anyway if it is something you really want to do, then do it and ignore those who would try to discourage you.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  08:22:57 AM  Show Profile
I really am so impressed with how supportive everyone is here and so bolstered by everyone sharing their positive homeschooling experiences.

As you can all imagine, I have prayed about this issue and meditated a lot on it and have practically turned myself into knots over it.

But, Rachel, I was thinking of the quote you have in your posting signature and I think I do have to stop asking for spiritual guidance on this if I am unwilling to follow the answers I think I am getting (which is, I think we are really being lead to homeschooling and I haven't been listening or trusting that!). I think I need to be brave and follow our hearts on this (my husband is totally in favor of it) and take that leap of faith. Maybe it won't work out, who knows?

Now I can go ahead and make our plans and arrangements and change some things in order for us to pursue it next year (Fall 2012). I wish it could be this year, but for many reasons, and in order to give it the best chance of success, we have to wait.

It's so nice, though, to have all of you cheering us on!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Edited by - LuckyMommyof5 on Jul 31 2011 08:27:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  08:25:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I homeschooled my youngest son. I started when he was 10. When he turned 16 he want to go to high school and oh how I wanted to keep him home. He was so far advanced for his age. But I gave in. We belonged to a great homeschool group and he played alot of community sports and got together with the homeschool group once a month. My son learned how to do things that other children his age would have never learned in a public school. One of the most important things that he had was biblical teaching. I bought all his books from a Christian based company. Everything we did had GOD included in it. It was a great time for both of us. He is 30 now and he says those were some of the happiest days of his life. And he thanked me. Do as your heart leads you to do...you can't go wrong..

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  6:47:48 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne, you could do mini-lessons for now. Sort of dip your toe in the water. Maybe once a month do an outing as you think you would do in homeschooling. It can be good practice for when you are ready to try full time.

Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  05:16:08 AM  Show Profile
That's a great idea. I think we are going to try the homeschooling next year. We have to try! I think it will be a great adventure for our family and if it proves unsuccessful, we'll revisit the issue. I just feel too drawn to it to not give it a chance.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  05:23:32 AM  Show Profile
Yah! Good luck! And remember, it's obvious from the posts here that there are lots of farmgirls here to help you out if you have any questions! :0)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  9:24:18 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone started a homeschool activity thread on here? Maybe list a subject/theme and everyone who wants to participate can trade ideas for a week and talk about how it went. I think there are several of us on here who want to try homeschooling but could use a helping hand to get the feel of it. I'd be happy to try this.

Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  05:17:47 AM  Show Profile
That's a great idea. You know, I was wondering if there is a way to have a forum added to the Farmgirl Connection. If there were an entire Homeschooling Forum on here we could post lots of different topics, questions, concerns, etc. There seem to be a lot of us Farmgirls interested.

And, I've started a list of what we need to get done and arrange so we can start homeschooling our girls in Fall 2012. We're very excited!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic socialization for homeschooling/distance learning Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page