Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  08:18:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
After stepping outside to check on the general state of things...My thought for the morning is that it is a gift to be able to grow your own food. I love watching my food grow from seed, to sprout, to bloom and finally harvest. It is a wonderful feeling to be so connected to each item and to have that honest link to our food. I am grateful.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  08:45:34 AM  Show Profile
I agree. I am also grateful to be able to share the process with my almost three year old granddaughter. She put the bean seeds in the ground this year and has been fascinated with their growth. She will go with me to pick this evening and I can't wait to see her face when she picks the first one. Watching her eat them will be fun too. I think she thinks they will look like the seeds she planted so I am excited to show her the seeds we collect from them at the end of the season. We have had fun with herbs, smelling them and taking them to the kitchen to cook with. When we are out she will point to a plant and say "Yia Yia can we eat that one?" I am grateful she will grow up connected to the process.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  09:03:51 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I totally agree. I am canning green beans right now with another canner full at the ready. Bright red ripe tomatoes ready to be made into tomato sauce. A garden that is growing so fast right now I can see it. I know sometimes I get aggravated at the animals or at other little things around here, but I too am grateful for the privelage of living in such a beautiful spot of the earth. I went to 4 other farms just this morning. A hay farm to see about getting hay for the winter, a dairy to see about getting a calf to raise on all this goat milk I am getting, and the farm where I am getting my little goat Penelope Jane. I am bartering my soap and cheese making for her. And another farm to get a guy to come bushhog my pasture. There is so much out here and I am so happy to be here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  09:31:50 AM  Show Profile
I just fond it so gratifying to be able to walk outside and get fresh herbs or salad greens (because we have had a rotten growing season and that is all we have so far...boo). Especially when it is things I planted from seed, it just makes my heart happy!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  09:40:47 AM  Show Profile
I agree, too. And what's so cool is when these city boys of mine and my son's city boy friends see me picking my produce from the garden, I hear cheers of, "Yeah! Woo-HOOO!" Although...then come the suggestions... For instance, this morning the boys asked, "Can you make us zucchini bread today? Are you going to make us pickles, too?" LOL!!! It's so nice, though, that they appreciate all the goodness. They think I'm amazing... I just pray they'll hold onto that image... ;)

Ohhh... I feel so bad for those who don't garden, or who haven't benefitted from the wisdom of MJF and the Farmgirl Sisterhood. :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 12 2011 09:41:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  12:15:58 PM  Show Profile
I agree wholeheartedly. it is such a feeling of accomplishment. Even my "failures" I learn from. The garden is the best classroom in the world!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  12:20:28 PM  Show Profile
I agree too! And even though the drought we're having stunted my gardens' production and finally burned it up, there is always next year and I am already looking ahead and planning!

Caron

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  6:36:11 PM  Show Profile
My garden is almost a total loss but I'm still holding out hope for the sweet potatoes. And even though the tomatoes burned up, the lettuce looks great. I bought okra today. I figure if I can't grow it I can at least can it. That's still a very good skill to have.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  10:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I agree too!! I canned tons of zucchini relish today. To go out and harvest peppers, onions, zucchini, and get to can, eat, and enjoy it all from a few seeds earlier this season... Or to walk out in the morning, and see how much everything has changed and grown overnight!! I was so excited yesterday morning, to walk along one of the paths in the garden, and see two tiny watermelon, smaller than a pea, but already has the darker stripes down it. So cute!!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  08:20:33 AM  Show Profile
Alee, totally agree we are blessed to be able to have our gardens. I'm sure many of you may have read about the woman in Oak Park, MI, two cities away from me where they're trying to put a woman in jail for growing a garden in her front yard. It makes me feel even more blessed for the one I have. I know in Warren there was talk they were going to try to tax gardens for the food they were producing. Thankfully that didn't go anywhere. My garden is flourishing! My cukes are producing and we've had our first harvest. My roma tomatoes are growing and I can't wait for them to ripen so I can make some fresh marinara sauce. I'm making myself hungery LOL

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  6:27:00 PM  Show Profile
{{{hug}}}

Yes indeedy.
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  06:06:38 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree. Before we bought this old farm, my garden was one tomato plant and one pepper plant, growing in my flower bed. I've always grown herbs but never in a million years expected to get this far with a vegetable garden, fruit garden and farm animals.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltin_kate
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Kate
Marlboro NY
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  07:05:26 AM  Show Profile
Yeah! Amen to all of the above Sisters!!

Kate
Farmgirl Sister #862
http://www.wildwomanglamgirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  11:22:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies
I totally agree with each of you. Now, I don't grow the veggies myself but my DH does. I think they are just beautiful and a blessing from God. My DH's favorite thing to grow is corn. Before planting season began for us, my Hubby asked God to bless his corn that he would have enough to share with our neighbors and those in need. Well, he has picked about 850 ears(so far). That may not be much to some but we have shared with our 2 DD and we froze 450 ears. I love my part of canning and freezing. Oh the taste of fresh corn on Thanksgiving. The rest he has given away. Ain't God good?
Donna

Donna Farmgirl Sister #1487

Wheather therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  11:48:51 AM  Show Profile
You are so right, Alee!! I guess, since my garden has burned up to crispy critters in this drought, I'll have to think of some other things to be thankful for as well. I have decided that I am thankful for what the Lord has given me and that I don't need to compare myself with anyone else or resent others who have more or "do it better". :-) I thank God that He has blessed them in His way and that He has given me the understanding that I am to use His gifts to help those who have less than me. I am only responsible for how I handle what God has given me and He is responsible for everybody else!! I hope that all Americans can realize this and that the resentment against other Americans and American companies will stop. We are all in this together!! Just phylosophizing!!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  2:16:04 PM  Show Profile
Love my garden - every single tomato, pepper, chili and herb plant. Love to pick things and eat them when they are so fresh you can taste the sunshine in them. I'm so sorry for everyone who' garden or farm suffered in the drought. I pray for rain for all of you!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic My thought for the morning Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page