Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic paw licking Next Topic  

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  07:15:22 AM  Show Profile
I have a dashund mix who since we moved from the apartment to the house has taken to licking her front paws, some days a lot, the vet says she has an allergy and to give her Benadryl. I do but it doesn't seem to help all that much. I am not a doggy expert and I wondered if maybe some of you with more doggy experience would have any suggestions. I'm concerned that now it might be just a habit with her.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  07:52:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would check between her paws to see if the skin is raw. She might have a hot spot. Did you have the carpets cleaned after you moved it? She may be allergic to a cleaning chemical that was used prior to move in. If this is the case the allergy would just keep aggravating her skin unless rinsed or re-cleaned. Also if the allergy has made her skin sore it might take as long as 2 weeks on a solid benedryl routine to help her skin heal.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  08:02:54 AM  Show Profile
Our vet told us that when our girl does that it could also be a sign that she's stressed or anxious about something. Unbeknownst to us, we had a pregnant cat living under our back deck at the time. When the babies were born, the mother abandoned them - we have no idea why. Our girl didn't harm them at all, but made sure to alert us to them. A friend came and took them to her house (her cat adopted them), and after that, our girl stopped licking incessantly at her paws. I am pretty sure the vet told us to put alum powder on her paws to dissuade her from licking them raw, but we never needed to try. When he told us to do so, I was also worried it would get into her eyes or cause an infection on the raw areas, so I was really happy the situation resolved itself. Maybe there's something going on in your girl's life that you're unaware of that is stressing her out, too? Dogs are really sensitive creatures, God love them! Good luck, Patricia - I hope this helps a little. Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  08:17:28 AM  Show Profile
I know the pre mixed floor cleaners like swiffer make lots of animals lick their paws. Same with carpet cleaners like Alee said. Our sweet Angus burned his belly on carpet cleaner once and cannot tolerate swiffer cleaner. You would never know it to look at him but his mom was a Dashund.
I would wash her paws, clean a floor really well with vinegar and water, limit her to that area for a while and see if she stops.
Keep a close eye on the condition of her paws. I'm sure you know they can lick them raw in a very short amount of time!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic paw licking Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page