Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 What's the best way to dry herbs?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic What's the best way to dry herbs? Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  05:25:10 AM  Show Profile
I don't have a huge herb garden---just basil, lemon thyme, dill, and rosemary...and these are pretty small by comparison to some I have seen.
Generally, I pick as I use it, but what is a good way to dry them? Simple hanging? Do they get "dusty" from hanging about? I do have a dehydrator---would that work? TIA

Just a Brooklyn, NY gal trying to figure out this country thing after 12+ years in the woods of NE PA! Wife of my HS sweetie going on 23 years and mom to the amazing four ages 19(g), 17(s), 14(s), 13(s)!
Donna
Sister # 3062
http://restingunderthepinetree.blogspot.com/

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  05:40:24 AM  Show Profile
If I had a dehydrator I would definitely give it a try. Right now I just bundle mine and tie the end of the bundle inside the top of a paper bag and let them sit (I also don't have anywhere to hang them that wouldn't be in the way).I've also put some in the fridge in paper bags and they dried out after a little while.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  07:02:46 AM  Show Profile
Before my husband made me a dehydrator I use to put the herbs on a cookie sheet in the oven at its lowest setting... with the door cracked...with the ceiling fan on low overhead. It did not take long but it took all the color out and I am sure some of the taste. I have 2 long haired animals so hanging them somewhere is out of the question but I have done it before with and without a cheese cloth covering. I love drying my herbs in the dehydrator. It takes longer but the color stays with the herb and there is a certain freshness to them as well. Good Luck!

Farmgirl Sister #918

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  10:31:43 AM  Show Profile
Well, I guess I will be pulling the dehydrator out...besides keeping the freshness in I can imagine the house will smell lovely :0)!

Just a Brooklyn, NY gal trying to figure out this country thing after 12+ years in the woods of NE PA! Wife of my HS sweetie going on 23 years and mom to the amazing four ages 19(g), 17(s), 14(s), 13(s)!
Donna
Sister # 3062
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  12:56:35 PM  Show Profile
I did some rosemary that way last week, the house smelled deeeeelicious!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Camismommy
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Tracy
West Glocester RI
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  5:47:32 PM  Show Profile
I hang most of mine. I bundle them up, enclose in a paper bag and hang for about two weeks. I do use my oven to dry them as well sometimes. I make an oregano/basil mix that I just use the oven for and it turns out great.

Tracy

Proud Farmgirl Sister #2883!

http://tracyleeslittlejourney.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Fannie
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

North Huntingdon PA
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  03:00:28 AM  Show Profile
When do you know it is time to start drying the herbs? This is all new to me. My Dill and Basil are really taking off. I want to do it right.

Fannie
Farm Girl #2746
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  06:55:43 AM  Show Profile
I just picked some major lemon verbena and lemon balm. I use flat baskets, spread the herbs out and let them air dry in the house. Every once in a while I rotate the herbs and when they are completely dry I zip lock them in freezer bags,put them away in a nice dark cupboard and use them in my Lemon Verbena soap and Lemon Balm Citrus soap!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  08:58:47 AM  Show Profile
I'm splitting up what I dry and what I freeze in the freezer. It's a tough call but I'm rotating between using fresh for cooking now, chopping and putting in ice cube trays with water in the freezer then transferring to a freezer bag and drying in the dehydrator. I will find out this winter what I personally like to use best, but I do know a few times last winter I just wish so bad I had some fresh herbs but I wasn't paying $5 for a few wilted sprigs at the grocer!!! We shall see!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  09:24:22 AM  Show Profile
I live in a desert area with very little rain, so I dry mine outside. Out in my garden area, behind the shop, I have a large drying table (4 legs and a screen top) as well as shelves with pegs hanging on a wall. Some herbs I dry horizontally on the table, covered with a thin white sheet, and some I hang upside down from the pegs. If thunderstorms are forecast, I move them into the greenhouse. It worked well last year. We are having more storms this year, and I have a job now, so I worry a thunderstorm might blow up while I am stuck at work, but so far so good.

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  08:44:36 AM  Show Profile
Well, desert dry won't work here since as it's been SO hot but thick as pea soup these days I can only imagine how it has been further south !
My dill is not doing so well...not sure why!
My Basil turned a bit yellow (too dry? too wet??) but is getting better! Thyme and Rosemary are doing well...looking forward to using that but the weather has been so icky I barely want to DO much more than turn on the AC and read ! of course, I have a bazillion things that interfere, but oh well, I'll miss the summer when it's gone!

Krystal---I know what you mean! The local stores have pretty slim pickings over the cooler months when it comes to herbs. Even parsley was kind of yellow and smaller bunches last year. I cannot understand why I neglected to plant parsley???!
Thanks for all these ideas! Hopefully I will get pictures of my attempts to post!

Donna
Sister # 3062
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlermom
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Melissa
Logan AL
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  9:13:34 PM  Show Profile
I've found the best way to dry most herbs is a brown paper bag! I've used a dehydrator and it works fine but, paper bags are cheaper! Just don't overstuff the bag. It takes cayenne pepper over a month and lemon balm 1-3 weeks. When you dry herbs they should retain most of their orginal color and smell. I just bought a pound of dried lemon balm online and it was very bad quality. It was brown and had almost no smell at all. I learned the paper bag technique from a James Duke herb book. It works very well!
Melissa
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  2:54:32 PM  Show Profile
Just saw this and another use for those pesky plastic bags when drying outdoors is to use them over the paper bag as a raincoat with the open out after a lose wrap around the longest stem sticking out.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Joyous
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Kerry
Caldwell Idaho
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  06:39:36 AM  Show Profile
I'm very new to this site and hope I didn't miss what I'll add. I have a large herb garden, and additionally grow many flowers and have additional herbs growing in other beds. In order to keep up during growing season, it's easiest for me to dry my herbs in the microwave. I place them on a paper plate, each batch then on a paper towel. Start with 1 minute, and then additionally in 30 second increments. Lay out the herbs across the paper towel, somewhat loosely, and watch because they'll dry quickly. I've dried everything this way, and it's quick and super easy. I've found that chopping or cutting herbs prior to drying can be helpful, particular with the herbs that are more difficult to chop after drying. Otherwise, I'll just dry them nearly whole or in 'pieces.' I have tried every other drying method, but this is so easy and allows me to keep up and organized. Even though we've had snow within the past week, we have herbs coming up nicely already. Best to all!

"The harder you work, the luckier you get." Family motto
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic What's the best way to dry herbs? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page