jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  09:13:28 AM  Show Profile
My outdoorsy husband is also a chemist by training, UAF Fairbanks, permafrost engineer father so he's kinda smart. He also did environmental air studies. WELL, I'm the queen of candles, love candles. I chat up the other evening, saying, oh gosh, we should probably use soybean candles instead......... his reply.

Soot is soot. He's filtered it, analyzed it, blah blah blah. The guy did his thesis on that stuff you get from temperature inversions! Explains sheets of carbon chains in great detail to me, the final word is, soot is soot, it's what you breathe in second hand smoke, it's what you breathe when you don't carefully open your wood stove door without venting it first. It's what you get when you burn candles, ANY kind of candles. Of course it helps when you don't quite add all the other stuff, and car exhaust and all that other stuff has alot of nasty chemicals in but it's still something you should not fill your lungs with on a daily basis. It's what causes lung cancer amongst other things.

We have some nice long dark days here in the winter, so this news was a little saddening to me. So, as much as I love candles, I may crack the door a bit more and cut back a bit, cuz soot is soot.

labfun in alaska
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum14.html

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  09:19:39 AM  Show Profile
My drafty old house probably helps in that regard. I love scented candles..especially in the fall and winter. I have been thinking about cutting back some too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  09:22:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the good info...
I have a child with asthma...I shouldn't be burning them at all. I thought a soy-based candle with a cotton wick was better, guess not.
I appreciate it..
Kate
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  12:29:36 PM  Show Profile
I also heard recently that some scented candles are actually very toxic when burned and will even kill household pet birds. Anyone else heard anything about this? I tend to be the sceptic unless I can prove things, but this has caught my attention.

Di
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  12:31:58 PM  Show Profile
YES, candles should not be burned around birds, have heard that many times.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  1:04:50 PM  Show Profile
I love my candles too, so this news is indeed disheartening. However, I will counter with the less measurable, less scientific aspects of pure enjoyment.. the joy one receives from having candles lit from time to time. The calming effects they have on the mind and body...I don't know how to apply standard deviations to such matters but I contend that there is a balance somewhere..Still, when I light my candles I will do so knowing fully the hazards and the benefits!
Here's to candle-light
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  3:05:38 PM  Show Profile
What about pure beeswax cancles, with cotton wicks? I haven't used them but I want to start using then. They are supposed to have a beautiful smell. But I think moderation in everything is a good Idea!

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  3:33:03 PM  Show Profile
How sad. I love candles. And the smellier the better! I will just have to crack a window.
Karin
Go to Top of Page

Clockwood
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Carol
Buffalo NY
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  5:20:11 PM  Show Profile
Soot maybe soot...But you have to have something for light when the power goes out....
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  10:42:03 AM  Show Profile
If you love scented candles but don't want the soot then try one of those candle warmer plates. You get the scent but no flame. I have one and it works great. I like soy candles just because soy is a natural product -- but soot is soot.

I choose faith not fear.

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  10:59:05 AM  Show Profile
those warmer plates are really nice, I used to go through so many candles, but our homes are built so tight here, you know cold weather in Alaska we tend to rebreathe alot of the air. We have some lanterns for power outage instead of burning candles, It's very dark in the winter and we live on edge of the Chugach away from any city lights. Those oil vases with wicks are wonderful!! Another way to enjoy candles is by placing them in your fireplace so that the smoke actually vents up the chimney. If you group them, they are very pretty.

My husband told me his thesis was actually on Ice Fog particulates. I stand corrected. You should have heard the lecture on carbon chains!! I'm a nurse so we have quite the discussions!

I didn't mean to sound Preachy about candles, I definitely love them, but I think I burned them a little too much! I just think it's important to think about what you pour down the drain and into the air. We have a well, and so our water is our water, the air that we breathe is clean. It's just about caring about yourself, your family and the environment.

labfun in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  1:20:24 PM  Show Profile
I have one of those warmer plates (someone got it for me one Christmas) and I love using it with candles that have wicks that have fallen down in the wax..now I will remember to use it for other candles too. I especially love cinnamon scented candles and they go so well in the kitchen!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  1:25:42 PM  Show Profile
I make all my own candles from Soy Wax, Essential oil, and hemp wicks.I do not add any color or additives.
Also a candle that gives off alot of soot does not have the correct proportion of ingredients (Wick,wax,scent,color,additive)

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  08:24:02 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
Jo's husband is so right! Soot is Soot! Some soot is worse then others by what is in the particulates, BUT all soot is bad for you to breath. I used to be a chemist in an environmental lab.

Ladies, look at your family tree....if your ansestors happened to live long lives then you probably will, too. Take for instance my husbands Great-grandmother, she passed away less then a year ago at the age of 105. For over 40 years of her life she lived without electricity. Imagine the soot she inhaled compared to us.

Burn the candles and don't worry so much.

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  10:15:08 AM  Show Profile
Kim, my husband's grandfather just passed away at 105, I think he'll make it that far too, he's a total nut when it comes to environmental stuff. I told him he's going to have to probably go through a couple more wives to make it that far! I have a penchant for chocolate and everything else to boot!

oh ps the farmed salmon guys, it's for Paul. All alaskans don't like the farmed salmon thing, they infest the other fish that are natural runs with sea lice, PLUS they're really ugly and nasty things raised in nets too close together.

"friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon"
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  12:54:30 PM  Show Profile
I have a dear friend, age 48, who has lung cancer. She'd never smoked and neither has anyone in her house. I am a true believer in living a good healthy life, but life is short...and I really hope ya'll dance! Susan
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  10:24:34 AM  Show Profile
I love burning candles, and in the autumn I burn them almost daily. For years every time I would burn a candle I'd get a sore throat and two years ago it got really bad. Comes out it's from artificially scented candles. I never associated my sore throat with the candles but after I got rid of them the problem went away. I can still burn candles but only soy or beeswax candles fragranced with natural essential oils.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  10:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That makes total sense to me, Kathy. Some of those artificial scents I don't think are really meant to be burned- and who knows what happens to the chemicals when they burn?! It makes me a bit nervous so I only have natural candles now. I actually really love the smell of beeswax candles. It's so clean and warm at the same time!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Candles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page