Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Today's grocery bill... I'm really mad!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Today's grocery bill... I'm really mad! Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  9:46:52 PM  Show Profile
Okay, so today my son and I went to the grocery store. I bought six half-gallons of organic milk (the two brands available don't come in gallon containers, and the store brand still doesn't taste right and makes me get headaches, so this is a weekly expense I've reconciled to incur), two gallons of store brand organic milk (for making mozzarella - I can't drink it due to the aforementioned reasons, but it's probably better for cheesemaking than "regular" milk, so I'm giving it a shot), two gallons of store brand orange juice, a block of cheddar cheese (on "sale"), two small store brand containers of feta cheese (on "sale"), two jars of parmesan cheese (on "sale"), and two containers of organic yogurt, and a small bunch of bananas...

Grand total?

I still can't believe this...

$71.97!!!

I didn't even buy meat!!! Doesn't this seem high to you, too??? I double- and triple-checked the receipt to be sure there wasn't a mistake. My husband is going to flip when I show it to him!

I realize the organic choices we make have caused our grocery bill to rise, but THIS? This is insane! And prices are expected to continue to escalate? We're just a family of three! How do larger families cope with this!? And I can't switch back to regular milk - it makes me sick! LITERALLY!

This is just not right!!! Just not right!!! There has to be a better way!!!

I honestly would LOVE to have a goat or cow (not to mention a sheep and some chickens to boot) but we're not allowed to have any "farm animals or livestock" in the city. What is a small city farmgirl to do? This is just... just... NUTS!

Okay... well... I'm done ranting. I just really needed to get that off my shoulders...

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  10:46:52 PM  Show Profile
Nini,

Blame it on gas prices. Don't they call it the trickle-down effect? It costs more to ship stuff and the grocery stores are tacking on that added expense--making the consumer pay for it.

I shake my head in disbelief at the incredible cost of EVERYTHING. How do people manage?? Young couples with babies and elderly people on fixed incomes...the unemployed?

Once again, it's all about the all mighty dollar-

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  04:56:18 AM  Show Profile
Nini~ You are right - that sounds insane! With food prices (along with everything else) getting higher and higher something has got to give.

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  05:07:06 AM  Show Profile
It's not just gas prices, but grain prices too. Here in Oklahoma, the Agrinet said that our wheat production this year is just 10% of normal. There is no corn either. And Arkansas lost its rice crop due to flooding. PLUS 40% of what corn IS produced is required to go into ethenol, so that makes corn even more scarce. Grains are the feed that feed the cows that give the milk to make the cheese and yogurt and bottled milk (and build the house that Jack built). Add that to the price of shipping and it's just going to get worse. I don't know what people are going to do because I read an article yesterday that said that D.C. is aiming for gas prices to go even higher to force people not to use fossil fuels. If that happens and we have another season like this one with the drought, the sky's the limit for prices on food.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  05:10:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It IS crazy! We have cut out milk consumption because of crazy prices like that! We buy two gallons of milk every two weeks and only Nora gets to drink most of it. Sometimes we will have a bowl of cereal for Doug and I but mainly we don't. I buy english muffins and have farm fresh eggs delivered every week instead.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  05:53:40 AM  Show Profile
Alee, did you know that you can make your own English Muffins for cheap? A picture tutorial is at the blog: http://www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog/?p=2427 Once you've had the homemade, you'll never buy another one!! :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9384 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9384 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  06:08:41 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link Mary Beth. I make my own bread and have been looking for recipes for rolls, muffins, etc. Have you ever tried to make them with whole wheat? I grind mine fresh each time I bake. I think I might have some pastry wheat though. I wonder if I could use that? It's what I use for baked goods.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 09 2011 06:10:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9384 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9384 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  06:13:50 AM  Show Profile
Nini, I hear you. We only have two of us pretty much now and I never walk out with less than a 100$ grocery bill. I do buy organic milk,and yogurt but everything is high not just organic. Just a shame that we keep paying and paying. And there are no jobs so I don't know where they expect us to get the money to pay with.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 09 2011 06:14:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  06:45:56 AM  Show Profile
You know what else is insane expensive right now....bacon! $5.99 a pack! Forget it! I was so craving a bacon, turkey, and avocado sandwich yesterday, and with bacon so expensive and avocados $1.59 A PIECE I had to forgo it. So sad.

I am lucky that we get to shop on base at out commissary, prices are a little more reasonable. That coupled with Aldi cutes down our costs quite a bit. But you are right, trying to go organic on a budget it so difficult. I intend on doing a massive amount of cannning this summer, but there are still those things you HAVE to buy that are just so hard to afford right now.

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  06:46:23 AM  Show Profile
I completely understand and agree with you, girls. We try to buy local as much as possible, but even here our local options are quite limited. My main problem is that I have yet to find ANY local organic milk, which really blows my mind. I always check to see where our food comes from and try my best to support local farmers (any local producer of goods, really), not only to help boost the local economy, but also because I know the food is fresher and healthier for not having traveled thousands of miles by truck.

Then the ethanol thing drives me nuts. First of all, why on earth are they requiring a food product to fuel our vehicles? I am infuriated by the government's mandate. Putting food in our vehicles instead of our plates, especially when there are such serious shortages - oh my word!!! Are they daft? (I know gas is expensive, but what ever happened to conservation, carpooling and less trips to the market?) As soon as all the local pumps were switched over to include ethanol in the mix, my van's check engine light came on. The parts store ran a diagnostic, but they already knew the part that was affected even before the test was run (name escapes me at the moment - DH is sleeping, or I'd ask). They said it's the ethanol that's doing it. Add another expense to add to the now long-growing list!

And what, exactly, are they planning to do about people who cannot afford to convert their vehicles in order to stop using fossil fuels? Good gravy... They DO know people are seriously suffering financially, right???? <sigh> They can offer us all the tax breaks and rebates in the world, but if people don't have the money to do these things to begin with, what good are the breaks and rebates going to do us?

It's funny you say that, Alee, because we don't drink nearly as much milk as we used to, either. We used to go through twice what I purchased yesterday in a week (growing boy and friends), but since the prices have been climbing, I rarely ever drink milk - mostly water. My guys have cut back, too, but I still make sure our son gets what he needs. The milk I bought may last us about two weeks, if we're careful, where we used to go through it in a matter of days. Like you, we've stopped the cereal in the morning, too. Lately I've been making homemade muffins with fresh local fruit. I've also been buying English muffins and bagels relatively inexpensively at Costco, but I've been feeling kind of guilty about the chemicals in the flour. Mary Beth - I just printed out your recipe - THANK YOU!!! BLESS YOU!!! I think I can do that!!! There is also a nice, easy bagel recipe in my bread book I'm going to try. I make virtually everything else now, why not these foods, as well! The thing is, though, I don't feel these breads are very nutritional, and I really want to have more homemade granola in our diet. I had read in a book to mix reconstituted dry powdered milk and water with our store bought milk to make it go further... I wonder, though, what kind of chemicals we're dealing with in the dry powdered milk? That worries me... Do any of you know anything about that???

I guess we just all really need to hunker down and do the best we can. I always try to keep in mind local is always healthier and less expensive - and SO much better when you can buy organic! Thankfully there are plenty of farmers markets around for us to choose from until my garden produce, which is looking really great this year kicks in. Still, though, I worry. We've survived hardships in this country in the past, I'm sure we'll survive this, too. I just still can't get over that bill yesterday, though. I told my husband and, surprisingly, he didn't even bat an eye. He said we just need to keep plugging along and doing the best we can.

Hugs to you all - I am so glad to have you, my sisters!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 09 2011 06:49:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  06:54:17 AM  Show Profile
Denise, because English Muffins use yeast, you would want to use a hard white wheat that has a higher gluten content, but you could try the soft white pastry flour and add gluten, I suppose. We grind our wheat too, but I always use "store-bought" for many of the blog photos because so many people don't grind their own wheat and ask if they can use all purpose. I do use whole wheat (hard white Prairie Gold berries) to do my muffins, however, I have found that I have to sift and sift before measuring. That adds air and takes out some of the wheat germ that makes the dough heavy. I then store the germ in the frig for use on salads or to make Cream of Wheat. Store bought flour is presifted. You have to sift your home ground flour before baking like in the old days!!

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  07:04:36 AM  Show Profile
Nini, prices are very high right now, especially for organic items. We did get milk goats, but do not have any in milk just yet. We buy organic milk when it's marked down. Otherwise we cannot afford it.

Can you barter with a local farmer/farmgirl, for such items as milk?

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  07:20:21 AM  Show Profile
Nini, I can't stand the powdered milk that is in the boxes at the store. HOWEVER, a friend of mine gave me some powdered milk that she got from Walton Feeds (www.waltonfeed.com) It can be bought in increments up to 50 lbs which makes 63 gallons. I made some, put it in the frig and couldn't believe how good it tasted. My hubby actually liked it and he's PICKY!!

I feel that I can be a good judge of powdered milk as I have been a powdered milk taster from wayyyyy back! :-) The story: My parents decided that they just couldn't afford all the milk that we 4 girls were drinking. They mixed up powdered milk and put it into milk bottles (the bottles were glass then). We took one taste on our cereal and went, "ewwwwwwww". Dad said that there was no way we could tell the difference. Right. So he then tried mixing it half powdered and half real without telling us. I balked at the first taste. THEN he decided to prove to me that I couldn't tell the difference and filled 4 glasses with milk - some regular milk, some 1/2reg and 1/2 powdered and some full powdered milk mixture. I picked every single one out to what it was. My parents gave up at that point and we went back to buying milk. :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  07:30:46 AM  Show Profile
Nini-It really doesn't suprise me that you paid those prices. Here organic milk is 6.00 a gallon and the reason I don't buy it is because it is ultra-pasturized, which means it won't work for cheese or yogurt making. There are a few things you could think about, like making your own yogurt. Have you thought about joining a warehouse store like costco or sam's club? If you were to do that you could buy a large piece of parmesian and grate it yourself, which would probably equal 12-15 jars of parmsian for the same price. I have found that I don't really shop a regular grocery store anymore except for fresh fruit and veggies and a few misc items, most of what we eat comes from what we have grown ourselves or bought and canned.

And GIRLS- DRINK YOUR MILK!!!! Do not skimp because it is too expensive, your body needs the calcium and it is always better to get it from foods rather than a pill!!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  07:33:16 AM  Show Profile
I agree with all of the above. Keep in mind that "they" who makes the policies and regulations, don't have to worry about their income level. "They" can vote themselves a raise in pay. Then there are "THEY" higher up. "They" are litterally trying to break us. Could write more than you want to read about that. Just keep it in mind next November.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  07:51:28 AM  Show Profile
Ladies I have been have this talk with so many others and there does not seem to be clear answers. I have cut back on purchasing foods that come from large factory farms, purchased food with the least amount of packaging from the health food stores, reduced the amount of meat consumption to only locally grown grass fed animals and raise my own organic eggs but do not right now have any extra time to do my gardens that for years we ate from. With it just being me I can make choice that only effect me but I admit I walk into a food store and take more time to find something worth eating and pay more for it then the cheap crappy foods. Remember if it is too expensive to eat healthy folks will be force to eat the crap and we are back to factory food and giving our money to the drug companies to fight the effect of crappy food.

There is no easy answers but having these talks sharing ideas and hanging strong will help. Your right about the govn't just giving them money (our money) when they want it and forget about those of us that they represent. We really need to become loud and powerful about this - it is our lives they are messing with but the masses who do not read MJ are more concerned about the lastest reality show and what they can purchase at Kohl's at 70% off that they really do not need.

Be Strong Ladies - together we can come out ahead. I am hopping over to get the recipe - thanks for sharing...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  08:09:36 AM  Show Profile
Lillian - yes, I do have memberships to both. You're SO right on!!! My preferred is Costco, but it's at least an hour's drive away due to traffic, so Sam's is a decent substitute. You make an excellent point about the cheese! I had worried that because we don't use that much parm that it would go entirely moldy before we consume it, though... Mary Beth: I know we can "can" cheddar - what about parmesan? You're my expert! ;)

I also have been eye-ing a yogurt maker online, just not sure which I should really go with at this point. I hadn't found the organic milk by the gallon that wasn't ultra-pasteurized until yesterday, so I'm going to do the taste test when I make the mozzarella... Either way, that's going to be what I use for the cheese and yogurt for sure! The ultra-pasteurized by the gallon (store brand) doesn't taste any better than the regular non-organic milk, and they both have a really "hard" taste to them - similar to non-organic milk, almost metallic-y or chemical-tasting, so I'm not too sure just how "organic" the store brand is, you know? The organic at Costco is the same. I did find organic milk at Sam's yesterday, but it has additives and is ultra-pasteurized, so I didn't even go there. It's frustrating because I honestly think we can't always trust the labels. The difference is in the taste - and the side effects I feel afterwards, you know? The price? Well, I paid $3.69 for each half gallon (on "sale"), and $5.99 per full gallon... That's a huge difference. But for peace of mind, I'll pay for the half gallons until I can find a local farmer, you know?

You're right about drinking the milk, Lillian - I was thinking about that as I was typing earlier. I'm in my mid-forties and probably shouldn't be skimping on the calcium. I do, however, eat a fair amount of yogurt, so I'm hoping - for now - that helps me!

Grace - you're SO right about the drug companies and food... Gives a whole new meaning to the term "food chain," huh?

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 09 2011 08:11:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  08:31:16 AM  Show Profile
Just thought I would throw a website out there to you all that I have really loved. They only deliver West of the Mississippi, but I so enjoy their foods. Lots of organics and the prices are reasonable. We love sunflower seeds on our salads and in our bread and I get 5 lbs shelled for $11. You can buy either in bulk or separate, but you get a big discount for bulk. I have been tailoring my grocery budget to include $100 from www.azurestandard.com each month and I buy items in bulk and then package them for later use. It's like having a grocery store in my house. They have fresh/frozen fruits and veggies too and they are lovely. I am saving a bunch on groceries. You might check them out.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  10:02:19 AM  Show Profile
I don't find powdered milk that cheap.

However, if it is a route you are thinking of.

It is very important to buy name brands (when speaking of flavor, and texture) I will swear you won't be able to tell the difference if you buy the correct brands!

Brands that are good are for sure Carnation, and also there is one they sell at comisaries on base, comes in a can and starts with S, kind of like similac but different name.....I can't think of it now. Also I don't know if it's still sold where I am now, but before I left Kansas (I lived in NYC for 10 years and just moved back here less then a year ago) there was a local farmer who sold powdered milk that was delicious! He started out by giving out samples at the state fair. At the time I didn't know about brands being different, nor did I know about the second tip I'm going to give on it, so had no idea powdered milk could taste so good. He would deliver it to your house on a regular basis-you chose how often-weekly, monthly, etc. I am going to the fair this year, again this has been over 10 years ago so I don't know if he is still here or will be at the fair this year or not, but if so I will try to remember to post his name and brand it is sooooo good.

Second tip, most people let their powdered milk go bad! Yes, powdered milk goes BAD! It goes rancid when you leave it out in your cabinets! When you bring powdered milk home you should store it in your fridge or freezer depending on how fast you plan on going through it. Leaving it in your cabinet will ensure it goes rancid and will have a "weird" taste! Usually rancid powdered milk is off white to almost yellow in color, instead of BRIGHT white!

I started using recipes about 8 or so years ago that called for a lot of powdered milk. Even for making pudding! And I used to hate powdered milk in such things as pudding, sure I would go with it for things like bread or cake but pudding, and as fresh like on cereal no way, unless it was that farmers I mentioned before. So I was skeptical! But, the lady who made all these recipes explained the above-stick with name brands, store in freezer, don't let go rancid. When she mentioned the rancid, I immediately knew that was part of my problem before most the powdered milk I had had before was rancid-distinctive flavor and color! I went out and bought the Carnation as she suggested and started storing in the fridge and freezer! A world of difference. Also what the lady brought out is you can make some recipes more thick, rich and lush by using good powdered milk, as you use more milk and less liquid!

However, more recently for approximately 3 years or so give or take a year, Carnation has been moving around where production is, and it's been very hit and miss, and mainly miss to find Carnation till the last few months on any store shelves. So ensued my search of a replacement brand, and that's when I found the one on base that was not bad, and in fact, I find of like a bit better cause it's texture is even finer then Carnation. (not chunky like a lot of the off brands, which makes such a difference!). I also went ahead in those years that Carnation was not to be found and tried the off brand in desperation and ICK ICK ICK! Ended up just throwing it away it was so awful!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  10:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We eat a lot of brocolli and other greens that have tons of calcium in them. If you do have to reduce your milk intake- eat calcium rich veggies and make sure you are eatting foods rich in vitamin D and calcium together.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  11:22:14 AM  Show Profile
Nini, have you checked things like craigslist classifieds to see if you can connect with someone who has excess milk from their family cow? The legal language in my neck of the woods is "not for human consumption"-- even though all parties are aware that that same gallon of cream will be butter and yogurt by the next day.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  3:21:52 PM  Show Profile
Nini- If you have a food saver you can cut up the cheese into portions you will use and seal in the food saver. It will last forever in the fridge or freezer this way. It's now just me and the hubby, so a wedge of parmesian lasts us a year. Also Bob's Red Mill has powdered milk and it is pretty good.
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  9:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
My husband used to be an over the road truck driver. On top of everything you girls have mentioned our food crops and cotton crops are sent overseas. If it does come back to us in some form we have to pay higher prices as a result. I try to buy local and american, but it's getting harder and harder. I'm now making my own baking mix and tortilla chips in addition to homemade just about everything else. Even with that our grocery bill is as high as when our kids were still at home.

A.J.

Work is love made visable. ~ TKahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  9:08:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Ms. Lilly I didn't know that about Bob's Red Mill I will be looking for it and buy it next time!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

689 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
689 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  05:37:25 AM  Show Profile
Ms Lilly is right, buy your cheese at the bulk store. We keep ours in mason jars in our freezer way in the back. Opened "current" jars go on the door of the freezer for easy access. They taste great, even after a few months. This we only do with parmesan, asiago, romano, and organic garlic cheddar.

Nini, sorry to hear about the grocery bill, but there is now so much helpful information about mixing dry milk with regular milk on here you might be able to figure something out.

---
Farmgirl #2951
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  06:00:26 AM  Show Profile
Heather, Waltonfeed.com has powdered milk that is amazing. When you figure out the cost divided by the number of gallons it makes, a 50 lb bag works out to $2.22 per gallon. Beats the grocery!

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Today's grocery bill... I'm really mad! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page