Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Today's grocery bill... I'm really mad!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Today's grocery bill... I'm really mad! Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  08:58:37 AM  Show Profile
Denise - You're so right - EVERYTHING costs so much nowadays, not just organic. But they sure do like to hike the prices up when they use that term, don't they? I read somewhere in MaryJane's magazine that we should "eat better, just eat less." I'm okay with that myself, but my guys just don't get that concept at all! LOL! They're working with me, though, thank goodness. I remember a few years back when we had foster kids - my grocery store was, at the time, what my mother-in-law would call, "Gi-normous!" Now, for just the three of us, it's a weekly shocker - and I like to think I'm a savvy shopper! We just have to be more creative, that's all. I just wonder how much we should be storing up if things are going to be even more costly in the near future?!

Liz - I hear you about the bacon... I rarely ever use it anymore, but not so much due to the cost as due to the health concerns. There is nothing like a good old-fashioned BLT, though! And now that the tomatoes are coming in, I'm craving one!!! I'll have to watch the sales, that's all, and REALLY savor it while we have it! :)

Heather - thank you for that information! Up until now, I've only used powdered milk in my granola and sometimes in baking. In the past, I'd seal it up in foodsaver pouches in the cupboard with no problem - I had no idea it could go rancid! Ew!!! Right now I've used it rather quickly, but this information is really great to know should I buy in bulk!

Alee - I'm a big broccoli and greens person, too! I forgot about that! LOL! 'Guess I'm not so bad off, then, after all!

Jen - until I read your message, I never even thought about looking for milk on Craigslist! I did check it out this morning, but there was nothing to be found. I'll keep it in mind for future, though - thanks for the tip!

Lillian - I had no idea that Bobs Red Mill makes powdered milk! I'll have to check their site. Thank you!

Emily - we're looking to buy a freezer right now, as a matter of fact (been putting it off for waaaaay too long). I'll definitely keep it in mind for the cheese! I have also frozen shredded cheese in baggies, but sometimes it gets lumpy. I know when I've frozen blocks before they haven't thawed very well. Is there a special reason why you use Mason jars instead of baggies? Do you use special Mason jars, or will any kind do?

Mary Beth - I just checked out the Walton Feed site - exciting! The milk actually averages out to be a little less for me - probably due to shipping costs! I am going to try it! I'm having problems with Internet Explorer - it keeps shutting down and restarting, but I am hoping to place an order this week! I'm wondering: Do you use this milk to make cheese, too? I really, really, really want to buy some of your English muffin rings, too!!! What a great recipe - thank you for sharing!

I SO appreciate all of you and your suggestions! You're the best!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  10:43:45 AM  Show Profile
Nini, according to all I've read, this powdered milk will work for cheese. I am going to try that myself, just haven't had time. I made English Muffins last night for Eggs Benedict this morning and I have to admit that I loooove the muffin rings. They are so much better than the tuna cans that I had been using. :-) Good luck!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  12:34:57 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I was at Kroger this morning and they had an entire case of organic milk marked down to 2.50 per gallon, which is what "normal" milk costs here when it's not on sale. You might consider asking someone in the dairy department if and when they typically do close to date markdowns on their dairy. That would work especially well for you since you cook it all into cheese and yogurt immediately.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  2:43:21 PM  Show Profile
I swear to you, Jen, I have NEVER seen milk marked down at our grocery store... I have a friend who works in one of them, though, so I'll definitely ask! Thank you for the suggestion! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  5:17:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Gals. I had never heard of Walton's feed. I'm going to look into them too.

I will tell you once you have tried pudding, or pies with "pudding" filling and you double the powdered milk and a little less on the water (less water then pudding calls for in milk) you will be shocked how rich and thick the pudding/pie filling is! The flavor is great and mouth feel even better. But, again have to remember good brands, and fresh, not rancid! lol

I think when I was growing up most grocery stores SOLD the powdered milk ALREADY rancid that's why a lot of us don't think we like it. I remember my mom buying it and we hated it. Again though once the lady brought up rancid, I knew immediately that was the "off" taste we didn't like about powdered milk but hadn't ever thought about it!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  6:09:53 PM  Show Profile
Everybody,
Just wanted to let you know that the milk I get from WaltonFeeds is the REGULAR nonfat dry milk. It is "noninstant" and is supposed to be ok for some cheeses. The instant is not and does not taste as good. Also, I just found this website that shows a way to make nonfat noninstant dried milk into whole milk. I'm going to try it out of curiosity. It doesn't sound all that great but this blogger swears by it. The link is http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/blog/how-to-turn-non-fat-powdered-milk-into-whole-milk.htm It's best to keep the powdered milk in the frig in plastic bags or containers to be added to water as needed. That keeps the powder from going bad. You can freeze it too.

I used the powdered milk tonight to make mashed potatoes and they were great! My husband went on and on about how good they were and then I told him that I used the powdered milk mixed up to make a quart. He was surprised! I have the rest of the milk in the frig and we will use it on cereal tomorrow. I'm sold. :-) Hope that helps!!

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  6:25:02 PM  Show Profile
I agree. I just found them last March, but have been totally pleased.

quote:
Originally posted by Okie Farm Girl

Just thought I would throw a website out there to you all that I have really loved. They only deliver West of the Mississippi, but I so enjoy their foods. Lots of organics and the prices are reasonable. We love sunflower seeds on our salads and in our bread and I get 5 lbs shelled for $11. You can buy either in bulk or separate, but you get a big discount for bulk. I have been tailoring my grocery budget to include $100 from www.azurestandard.com each month and I buy items in bulk and then package them for later use. It's like having a grocery store in my house. They have fresh/frozen fruits and veggies too and they are lovely. I am saving a bunch on groceries. You might check them out.

Mary Beth

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  6:38:37 PM  Show Profile
Do NOT think for a minute that your calcium has to come from milk. Here are some calcium amounts in common foods. We need about 1,000 milligrams/ day, and I've heard that anyone over 18 is just replacing calcium we have lost.

Milk (Doesn't matter if it is from a cow or enriched soy/rice 300 mg/cup
6 oz yougurt 350
1 oz hard cheese like ceddar 240
1/4 c. cottage cheese 120
1/2 c. tofu 258 (very easy to make)
1/2 c. pinto beans 40
1 T sesame seeds 90
8 sardines 370
1 c. broccoli 178
3 oz salmon 180
And there are more
See if you can barter a good or service for products from neighbor's gardens. We were involved in a very successful neighborhood gardening coop once upon a time. We each specialized in one or two veggies that we grew for the group and split the bounty of each equally.

Start a garden now. It's not too late to reap a fall harvest of broccolli, kohlorabi, peas, beans, zuccini, cukes, etc. In zone 4/5 you can plant up until September 10th if you have anything to set around it such as cut off milk cartons, bales of clean straw, discarded windows, etc. We have fresh greens every month of the year accept February and I'm working on that. Plant in containers if you need to. I ask nurseries if I can dump their dried up hanging baskets in exchange for the baskets. Lettuce, radishes, etc grow fine and look great!

Anyone have any other ideas. Also don't buy seeds until you check with everyone you know for extras. They can be several years old. Just sprout a few to check.

Good Luck!

Joy

!
quote:
Originally posted by Ninibini

Lillian - yes, I do have memberships to both. You're SO right on!!! My preferred is Costco, but it's at least an hour's drive away due to traffic, so Sam's is a decent substitute. You make an excellent point about the cheese! I had worried that because we don't use that much parm that it would go entirely moldy before we consume it, though... Mary Beth: I know we can "can" cheddar - what about parmesan? You're my expert! ;)

I also have been eye-ing a yogurt maker online, just not sure which I should really go with at this point. I hadn't found the organic milk by the gallon that wasn't ultra-pasteurized until yesterday, so I'm going to do the taste test when I make the mozzarella... Either way, that's going to be what I use for the cheese and yogurt for sure! The ultra-pasteurized by the gallon (store brand) doesn't taste any better than the regular non-organic milk, and they both have a really "hard" taste to them - similar to non-organic milk, almost metallic-y or chemical-tasting, so I'm not too sure just how "organic" the store brand is, you know? The organic at Costco is the same. I did find organic milk at Sam's yesterday, but it has additives and is ultra-pasteurized, so I didn't even go there. It's frustrating because I honestly think we can't always trust the labels. The difference is in the taste - and the side effects I feel afterwards, you know? The price? Well, I paid $3.69 for each half gallon (on "sale"), and $5.99 per full gallon... That's a huge difference. But for peace of mind, I'll pay for the half gallons until I can find a local farmer, you know?

You're right about drinking the milk, Lillian - I was thinking about that as I was typing earlier. I'm in my mid-forties and probably shouldn't be skimping on the calcium. I do, however, eat a fair amount of yogurt, so I'm hoping - for now - that helps me!

Grace - you're SO right about the drug companies and food... Gives a whole new meaning to the term "food chain," huh?

Farmgirl Sister #1974

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  7:07:19 PM  Show Profile
Great thread! I will add to check your canning/preserving books. A Blue Ball canning book I read once had the list for how long things can be frozen. I distinctly remember being able to freeze cheese for up to 6 months. Eggs can also be scrambled and then frozen. I found a good deal on a small standing freezer and try to freeze as much as I can. I have lots of garden vegetables (tomatoes, pumpkin) and sauces/soups. I also freeze lunch meat, bacon, cheese, bananas, fruit pops, etc. It's good to watch your store ads and buy things (meat) in bulk and then divide into meal size portions when you get home.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  8:06:19 PM  Show Profile
Joy, I really appreciate that list. I have osteoporosis and I need to be taking in as much calcium as possible. This is a great help!!

FarmDream, I can my cheese, both hard and soft. I have been really pleased with the results. I made a soup the other day with my canned cheese.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  9:05:03 PM  Show Profile
Nini, not to upset you but I actually smiled and gave myself a little pat on the back when I read your post. I too used to be a slave to the groceries' heavy hand. It was nothing for me to spend $200 - $300 a week. Now, even on weeks I splurge $120 tops average is $50 a week. About 2 years ago I started using coupons and sensible stockpiling. I don’t extreme coupon and I don’t spend hours clipping coupons. I spend about 45 minutes a week. There are several wonderful websites that can help with the couponing thing. My personal favorite is www.hip2save.com I usually check her website once a day in the evenings to see what new deals or coupons she has listed. She also has several videos for those new to couponing. I also do weekly price comparisons with WalMart. Remember they will match any competitor within a 50 mile radius. To give you a quick example…Kroger had Sargento Cheese on sale for $1.99 at WalMart it was $2.63. At check out I tell them I have a price match so right off the bat I save .64 cents then I had a .75 cent coupon. I ended up paying $1.24 for a product that could have cost me $2.63 (about 53% savings). All of our personal care items such as shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant and such a either free or cost almost nothing. Example…My husband uses Gillette Proglide razors – regularly around $12 each. I wait until they go on sale at Walgreen’s for $9.98 with $5 reward bucks back (this sale usually happens at least every other month) and watch the newspaper for $4 - $5 coupons. In the end the razor either is free ($5 coupon) or cost .98 cents ($4 coupon). Sounds like a lot of work but honestly it is not and once you get the hang of it you can save unbelievable amounts of money. So now when I pay $5 a gallon for organic milk at the local dairy I don’t flinch because I know I just walked out of the grocery store with 75% or more savings and can afford it. Hope this helps some. Some days I get really crazy looks when I pull out my big old coupon binder but you know my family gets the best of everything because of my couponing so I just smile and grab that big bottle of Olay body wash I know I am about to walk out with for .25 cents.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  9:29:47 PM  Show Profile
Nini
Do not buy a yogurt maker! You DO NOT NEED IT! I make my own yogurt each week using one if these gals recipes....& they come from an area that KNOWS THEIR YOGURT!!
It comes out perfect.
I add either some vanilla, some orange essential oil, or some lemon essential oil ( a few drops per serving) & add some stevia(or whatever sweetener you want)
Hubs gets it in his lunch, & it is delish. I keep the unsweetened remainder in the fridge for smoothies, salad dressing or whatever. Trust me on this one. I have tried many versions, & these gals from Abzerbaijan know their yogurt!!! ( I have even made it with ultra pastuerized milk & it turns out OK, just not as thick)
http://www.azcookbook.com/how-to-make-yogurt-at-home/

http://girlsguidetobutter.com/2010/02/crock-pot-yogurt/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  10:09:45 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth - THANK YOU! Got your email, too! I'll be sure to buy the right one! ;)

Joy! I love that list! Thank you! Looks like I've got my calcium well-covered! :)

Thanks for the info, FarmDream! We were out looking at freezers again today! Just need a commitment from the hubby!

Victoria - YOU made ME smile! I do the same thing! Well... kind of. I used to be an extreme coupon-er, but only for what we needed. I used to feel bad for holding up everyone else behind me in line as the cashier ran the coupons through, so I started going later at night when they weren't so busy! LOL! The cashiers were always amazed at my savings. I can't remember my highest percent in savings anymore, but I know it was over 80%. It was really great because family and friends knew "my plight" and would just give me their unused coupons out of the paper, so I always had PLENTY! You're right - it was work, but man, to see the savings rack up on the receipt was fu-u-un!!! I still match double coupons to stores' weekly sales, but for the most part we stick to the outside aisles now or buy at the farms; we buy very few products which offer coupons. Plus I make most of our food from scratch, so we also do really, really well bulk-shopping - especially at Costco, my favorite! I just have to be real careful; it's so important to know your units and prices, watch the ads, etc. Two items have REALLY saved me money: white vinegar (I used for just about every cleaning chore) and baking soda (personal care AND cleaning). It's amazing how much we can save when we have the right knowledge and spend some time working on our shopping plan. You're SO right - it can be a little time consuming! I used to spend a couple of hours every Sunday evening with the papers and online - cutting coupons, matching, making lists... But now I hardly use any of those items at all, and we're SO much better off - financially AND health-wise. I even stopped using feminine care products and now use the Diva Cup (as recommended by our wise and wonderful farmgirl sisters) - it's 10,000 times better than the other stuff, has saved me a pretty penny, is a lot more eco-friendly for the planet, and I personally just feel so much healthier. "MaryJane's Farm" magazine and the farmgirls have completely changed my life! It's amazing! (By the way - one night, someone stole my entire meticulously organized coupon box right out of my shopping cart - so be careful with yours!!! THAT was a heartbreaker, after all that work!!! And it felt almost as bad as if someone had stolen my wallet!)

Lisa - AWESOME!!! I'm printing out the directions as I'm typing... I'm going to try tomorrow! I've been dying to do this, and both sites make it look SO easy!! Thank you SO much for sharing!!! I'll let you know how I make out!

You girls ROCK!!!! I'm so happy to have all these new options and choices to make! Thank you!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  06:32:12 AM  Show Profile
I've gotten in the same boat as you Nini. I used to do lots of couponing with a binder, etc. My family is now eating healthier, less processed food, and the coupons are harder to find. I will have to check into this Diva Cup, as I've never heard of it.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  07:16:57 AM  Show Profile
Hey Nini
Another hing about the yogurt, once it is done, it thickens up considerably once it is refigerated
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  07:39:55 AM  Show Profile
FarmDream: I know there's a strain somewhere in the Farmgirl Connection discussing this option, but I couldn't find it. You can find them (and similar products) on www.gladrags.com or www.lunapads.com. I will never go back and try to encourage friends and family to make the switch. :)

Thanks, Lisa! I'm so excited! I didn't read, though, how long the yogurt will last in the fridge - do you know? I'm sure it won't last long, anyway, but I am wondering!!! I'm off to get started here in a few minutes! Thanks again!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  07:41:43 AM  Show Profile
Actully, I've had it in there for 2 weeks or so, & it doesn't smell off, but it ususally doesn't last that long.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  05:50:45 AM  Show Profile
I've been giving myself a challenge-shopping ONCE a month-and spending ONLY $250.00. Last month I did it. It helps when you grow a lot of your own veggies. I still have to buy water, spices, milk from the neighbor, toilet paper, baking soda, etc., so, I can't cut out my entire grocery bill, but with coupons + buying generics, I save a good amount of money. I spend less than most people I know, which is exciting for me. I take a calculator every time!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  07:06:13 AM  Show Profile
Lisa! I DID IT!!! I MADE YOGURT!!! Yee hah!!! It was so easy - and it's so yummy!!! THANK YOU! If you were here, I'd KISS you!!! I am amazed. I used the recipe with the blanket at azcookbook.com . SO easy! I can't wait to share this with friends! You ROCK!!

Good for you, Megan! You GO girl!!! :)

Hugs to all! Happy day!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  08:52:58 AM  Show Profile
Okay, girls, hold your hats. I just emailed friends about the ease of yogurt-making, and figured out what I'll be saving each year:

I personally consume about two large containers of organic vanilla yogurt for its health benefits, as well as purchase an additional quart of regular and/or greek style yogurt for cooking, on top of potatoes, AND as a facial treatment (a little yogurt mixed with aloe vera juice as a cleanser and/or mask - it doesn't cause a skin reaction, and keeps my skin smooth as silk... follow up with a light coat of vitamin e oil or coconut oil, which are not only extra moisturizing for skin, but also help reduce wrinkles! OH! And use a little baking soda mixed with water for your "microdermabrasion." You'll be amazed! AMAZED I tell you!). Oops! As usual, I digress...Sorry! So, on the average, I buy about 3 quarts of organic yogurt a week.

What did I save by making my own yogurt? (Thank you, Lisa!) Well, I figured it out as best as possible... It usually costs me $3.69 for a quart container of yogurt - on sale. The organic pasteurized whole milk I bought to make my own cost me about $1.32 for a quart (it'd be less if I didn't use organic, and I know that I don't have to use whole, but I like it for cheese, so that's what I had in the fridge). I only used a very tiny amount of the yogurt I already had on hand (3 tablespoons), so let's say MAYBE $.50 for the yogurt (which, by the way, if I excercise self-control and don't consume it all, I'll never have to buy it again - I can use my own for the starter!). Cooking time was minimal - maybe 10 or 15 minutes? - so I don't think the cost of energy was a major factor. And my personal time was really not interrupted at all: I just continually checked the thermometer while doing laundry and folding clothes. No biggie there! And remember, I didn't have to buy a fancy machine, or special tools to make this. I didn't even need a spoon for mixing! All I needed was a pot (check), a measuring cup (check), a measuring spoon (check), a thermometer (my candy thermometer worked fine - check), a container for the yogurt (I used a clear plastic pitcher with a sealable lid, because that's what I had on hand - check), and a blanket (check). It was amazing - I didn't have to spend money and write a (check). Wow.

So let's say it cost me about $2 to make a quart of yogurt - fresh, thick, creamy homemade organic yogurt, made from "happy cows," and with no preservatives, no additives. Yeah. Good stuff.

So, when all was said and done, I've saved about $1.69 per container by making my own yogurt. That's roughly $5.07 per week, average $21.97 per month, or - can you believe this? - $263.64 per year off of my grocery bill! That's a mucha mucha lotta "mooooo"-la! (Hear the cow saying moooo-la!?) And, by using my own starter, that savings climbs up to $2.19 per container, $6.57 per week, $28.46 per month AND (did I say, THANK YOU, LISA?!) $341.64 per year!!! That's a lot of coins saved, my friends! (Lisa - my husband said HE'D kiss you if you were here! LOL!) And considering the minimal effort needed to make yogurt, I'd be insane NOT to make it myself anymore!

So, my friends.... TRY it. Please! If you have kids - they'll love this "summer fun science project," too! Especially if they like yogurt!

As always, you farmgirls rock with inspiration!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 12 2011 09:33:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  09:03:01 AM  Show Profile
Lisa and Nini, I'm convinced! I'll do it as soon as I'm moved! LOL
Just think of all the plastic containers you won't be adding to the environment too! That alone would sell me. Woooo Whoooo!
Less money and less plastic! Better yogurt! Winner all around!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  09:34:06 AM  Show Profile
Oh! Yeah! YEAH!!! You're SO right, Connie!!! I hadn't even thought about THAT! All the better...

Let us know how you make out, too!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  09:37:48 AM  Show Profile
I will. Moving day is Friday and the beans are in so it may be a week or two. But I am so excited about it I may just have to fit it in somewhere between boxes and canning!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  10:11:27 AM  Show Profile
Connie, I swear to you, it didn't take much time at all. I think what took the longest was waiting for the milk to cool from boiling down to 115 degrees, but I just watched while folding clothes. After that, you pour it in the container, add the yogurt - don't stir - cover with a blanket and wait til the next morning (or just 8 hours - whichever you prefer). I just had a big bowl of it mixed with a little bit of blueberry jam. YUM-MY!!!

Good luck with your move! I'll say a prayer for you that all goes smoothly!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  10:37:12 AM  Show Profile
Did I miss where the yogurt instructions were posted? (more than likely I did...LOL!) Can't wait to roll up my sleeves and give it a try!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Today's grocery bill... I'm really mad! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page