Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 Dust Mite Allergies - energy reduction
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Dust Mite Allergies - energy reduction Next Topic  

quiltin_kate
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Kate
Marlboro NY
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  07:22:43 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have any Ideas how I can reduce my energy expenditure?

Here is my scenario - I have dust mite allergies. So, I have to wash all of my bedding in HOT water then dry them on High heat. This is supposed to kill the dust mites and reduce the allergens in my bedding. I have stretched out the Pillow, Mattress Pad and Comforter to every 2 weeks, that is about as far as I can push it. The sheets are done on a regular weekly schedule.

I would really love to reduce the amount of energy I am using, but, don't want to be feeling sick all of the time, either.

Kate
Farmgirl Sister #862
http://www.wildwomanglamgirl.blogspot.com/

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  07:30:57 AM  Show Profile
I'm sure you know about allergy reducing covers for your pillow and mattress already. But that is all I can think of that is of minimal cost and non chemical. There are sprays you can use on your mattress and bedding that are supposed to help. I have no idea what is in them or how much they cost. Or if they even work! I've seen it on the shelf somewhere. Don't remember where. There are also new washers that use steam instead of water to reduce allergens. I'm sure that would be pricey but may save in the long run?
Wishing you good health and some farmgirl solutions!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  08:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What about line drying? The sun should kill the dust mites too.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  08:59:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Also- do you vacuum your mattress and such? I do that with mine and am usually horrified at the amount of junk that comes out!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  8:18:07 PM  Show Profile
I use a non-toxic laundry additive that kills dust mites in any wash temperature. It's called DeMite and contains essential oils. There is another product that is similar made by Allersearch. I wash my sheets, beadspreads, etc in cold water and hang them to dry. I have bad dust allergies and this has worked well for me for years. There is also a plant-based spray for upholstery, etc called AllerSafe Dustroy that works great. Check out National Allergy Supply or Allergy Supply Co online.

Also - do you have an electronic air cleaner in your bedroom? I have one that stays on 24/7 and it really makes a difference in the dust levels. Even when I vacuum my room every week I'm amazed at how much debris the air cleaner collects in a short period of time.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  10:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Vacuuming your mattress is a really good suggestion. The last kirby salesmen vacuumed my NEW mattress, through my white sheets. I kept thinking, it will not be that bad, but gross, why didn't he at least pull the sheet back? Needless to say, there was a black spot on the back side of the sheet. The mattress was only a few months old. I vacuum my bed now, every single time I wash the sheets.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

quiltin_kate
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Kate
Marlboro NY
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  06:24:17 AM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone, good suggestions all! I am going to check out the laundry additive and the spray.

Kate
Farmgirl Sister #862
Go to Top of Page

thehatlady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Lola
Doniphan Missouri
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  4:55:48 PM  Show Profile
I use tea tree oil on my bed it is suppose to deter mites. I mix up 1 tsp. of tea tree oil to 1 c. warm water. Shake. I mix it in a spray bottle. Then I spray each layer and let it dry before adding the next layer. I don't make my bed I build it.LOL

Have a good evening,

Lola

Every day, in every way, I become better and better.
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  7:52:54 PM  Show Profile
My husband has suffered dust mite allergies for years and years! Here are some of the things he finds helpful. First get rid of carpet/rugs. (We have considered installing underfloor heating and tile but ... ). Next get your ductwork cleaned if you have central heat. Then vacuum your ceiling with a soft brush twice a year if smooth once a quarter if popcorn type stuff. Get swiffer type handle base but put on washable microfiber cloths on instead of those cute (and wasteful sheets). Wipe down your bedroom walls once a week for a month, then combined with the other things, back off to once a month. Dust flat surfaces every day for a week after you have the ductwork clean, then every 10 days or so unless you live on a very dusty road. Throw blankets and pillows in hot dryer for 20 minutes once every 10 days or so. Change sheets weekly.

If you concentrate your efforts on your bedroom, your body has a chance to repair itself by not having to deal with the dust mites while you are sleeping. You sort of wake up with an empty bucket to fill during the day. If you wake up with a bucket half full already, you are pretty miserable by noon. The above suggestions are murder for the first month, then about 20 minutes weekly including changing the sheets!

It's worth it!

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

quiltin_kate
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Kate
Marlboro NY
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  12:49:03 PM  Show Profile
Wow, both of these are great, too! Thanks everyone!

Kate
Farmgirl Sister #862
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  04:52:15 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad you started this topic! I've been suffering with coughing/asthma in the morning since we moved to our new home, I didn't put it all together until I spent a week in California in a Westin hotel (they promote their hyperallergenic bedding) and by the end of the week I was breathing just fine.

When I returned home, I put all my bedding (including the comforter and pillows) through the washer and dryer and it did cut down some on the problem.

Everyone has such good suggestions I am going to implement some or all of them! Thanks!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  09:04:48 AM  Show Profile
Our whole family has airborn allergies. Last October we moved into a house that has hardwood floors and it really made a difference. We are now having some problems again and I think all these suggestions will help soooo much. Thanks to all of you.

Judy
Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Dust Mite Allergies - energy reduction Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page