walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  6:54:37 PM  Show Profile
I'm obsessed with those really cute birthday parties that party planning websites post about...and I'm dying to do one farmgirl-ish. I will definitely be doing some cowgirl boot cookies, a candy table, and I was going to make a flag-banner out of fabric scraps.

But I'm having a heck of a time thinking of a "Farmgirl" cake or cupcake idea. I was thinking of a cupcake with some kind of topper, but the ideas just aren't flowing!

I'd like to do a soft pink, soft green, and off white pallette for decoration.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  09:38:26 AM  Show Profile
Did you check out Etsy for either purchase or inspiration? For Violet's 2nd birthday we did cupcakes with woodland creature cupcake toppers, including owls, which are her sort of trademark that I bought there, as well as her invitations.

For Violet's first birthday, my husband and I made a fabric banner that reads Happy Birthday Violet Mae that we will use for a long time, and an owl cake, along with owl cupcakes and I had a friend make her a little "kimono" from this awesome owl fabric I found on...
Etsy :)
Here's a pic (of course, I'm crying because there were so many folks there and she was a happy little birthday girl!)

Whatever you do, just remember that she won't :) Also remember to make the party NOT during her nap time! Violet fell asleep on her daddy's head...

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  09:58:21 AM  Show Profile
Jonni that is too funny...we did the same kind of theme!

I just posted on my blog a while back about doing a shortcake in a mason jar. That would be famrgirlish and you could do small jars to make them individual sized. Or how about a daisy shaped cupcake thing...you know where they arranged the cupcakes so they make a shape?

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  11:19:32 AM  Show Profile
How funny! Didn't you just love those red and white spotted toadstools? Being born in February, I kindof go "seasonal" :) VERY cute, love your little wooden faced people!

Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  12:01:55 PM  Show Profile
I kind of went overboard, like you are wanting to do Megan!

I made the toadstools by making them like cake pops. Dyed cocnut green for the grass, found the rock candy at a cake supply store, made the cake stand from wood from my parents house, and made the little people out of wooden pieces from the craft store. Rosemary is a November baby, so I always go late fall-themed.

It was funny because it was just our family and my parents. I tend to go all out with these kinds of things though!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  06:22:01 AM  Show Profile
oh my gosh! these are sooo cute!!!! I'm thinking a fabric banner is SO awesome! I will definitely start perusing the fat quarter area of my hobby lobby. What did you use to stencil the letters? Elizabeth, those toadstools are SO cute! I love that wrapping paper, too. I've got some cowboy/girl wrapping paper, some craft paper on a roll, cowgirl boot/hat/horsehead cookie cutters (I was going to use these for the cookies of course!)

I'm so excited!!!! I don't think we have a cake supply story, but hobby lobby has a bunch of cake stuff.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  06:39:20 AM  Show Profile
Hobby Lobby and I have a horrible relationship, I love it so and it just takes and takes and takes all my money.

I love this bunting from one of my favorite blogs...

http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/2011/03/trees-and-triangles.html

Oh if I just had the time to do all the craftiness I desire.

Have you decided on foods at all? I LOVE planning parties! How about some pink and light green and white bandanas for a farmgirl feel to decorate with? That would be too cute! I just may have to steal some of your theme for Rosemary's birthday next year!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  2:22:41 PM  Show Profile
I did the letters free hand, then cut them out with my pinking shears. I did buy a lot of fat quarters, but then I also found some really great bargain fabrics in yardage, too. I'll have to take a pic of the actual banner. It was easy to do and everyone loves it :)

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2891 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2891 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  7:30:17 PM  Show Profile
OK
I do not have a singlecrafty bone in my body....but I just have to say. I CANNOT believe Violet was that little.
She is at least twice that tall now!!!
Kiss that sweetie for me!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  4:57:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh man. I wish I could crochet like that! I'm definitely doing cupcakes, and a "Smash" cake for DD to smash after the party (I'm a photographer, so I want to get some better shots of her afterward) and I'm going to do a candy table, burlap bags as favors (I have no idea what favors, yet!) and the only presents we're asking for are things for her "Time capsule" which she'll open in 18 years. Whether they're family pictures, a newspaper, a letter, a card...just something for her to open and enjoy on her 18th. :)

Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  6:48:32 PM  Show Profile
In Create and Decorate this month they had a burlap bunting like that crochet one. You could stencil right on the burlap. How cute would that be?!

The time capsule is a super cute idea!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

WinsomeWench
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Jacquie
Inglewood CA
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  10:15:54 PM  Show Profile
All that's coming to mind for me is a cake with farm animals, or a cake that looks like a garden with veggies. You could do that on cupcukes too, farm animals either on toothpicks or something similar.

Here's some cute things I found on etsy:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/77378737/fondant-chicken-name-and-age-decorations?ref=sr_gallery_10&ga_search_query=farm+cake&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

http://www.etsy.com/listing/67591946/farm-animal-friends-cupcake-toppers-set?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_query=farm+cake&ga_page=1&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

http://www.etsy.com/listing/67422266/farm-barnyard-cupcake-toppers-custom?ref=sr_gallery_7&ga_search_query=farm+cake&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

“Above all, be true to yourself, and if you cannot put your heart in it, take yourself out of it.”
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic First Birthday Party Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page