Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What is it about Legalese/Technicalish?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What is it about Legalese/Technicalish? Next Topic  

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  2:43:25 PM  Show Profile
So, I was trying to read up on some business laws (whether states I'm interested in moving to would be good places to sell honey/jams/veggies/dairy etc.)

I like to think I am a woman of average, maybe even above average intelligence on a good day-- abstract concepts, reasoning, big vocabulary, I get by pretty well.

But for the life of me, I cannot read through legal or technical jargon without my brain going into shut down mode-- Sure I'm going through the mechanics of reading the words... but not a syllable sinks in! LOL!

Why on earth is that? drives me nuts! I'm not the only one, right? rofl

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  2:45:46 PM  Show Profile
NO it's only you!! Just kidding, I think the people that write these things are paid per letter, so they find the most obscure, unpronouncable words to say the most simple things.
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  2:59:08 PM  Show Profile
It's not just you. It's a problem of too many regulations. Unfortunately it makes it harder for people to open businesses because they aren't allowed to think, only follow regulations. Did you know the US Constitution is around 16 pages long and over 200 years old? The recent healthcare law is 2700 pages long. That's crazy. I hope you can decipher your way through all that mess and get your business going.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  7:47:05 PM  Show Profile
I'll get through it and figure out if I have to call ag extension agencies in every county of 3 states lol. I just think it's a strange phenomenon. I mean, I'm a smart cookie!! why can't I read this stuff??

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

pixiedra
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Oklahoma
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  05:49:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh, believe me, don't think for a second its a question of your intelligence. I mean, I'm a literature major and I haven't read "Pride and Predjudice". Why? I find the language totally beyond me....

What could help is sitting down with a financial advisor (they offer that service for free at most banks) and see if he can make heads or tails of it. Most of them are trained to speak legalese a bit.

Don't let the man get you down. :) Good luck.

Psalm 73: 23-24
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  5:00:36 PM  Show Profile
My brain goes on lockdown too. Just reading the words and making no sense!!! Our extension office is wonderful about that and holds classes to go over everything. :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What is it about Legalese/Technicalish? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page