walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  1:44:03 PM  Show Profile
I've been reading the "Wives of King David" books, and this one is wonderful so far! They're by Jill Eileen Smith. Has anyone else read these?

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  6:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
I have read this one. To be honest, I try to avoid period Biblical fiction. I am a very literal and can be an impressionable person. I don't like to put conjecture in place of scripture - and I can easily do that. It's my way of guarding my heart, so don't think I'm judging you. I did enjoy the story and it put together the pieces of her life that wouldn't have been touched on unless one specifically studied her. I did like how bringing in some of the Jewish customs and traditions explained things that are left open in scripture. Not being Jewish, I don't have the background to understand the significance of some of those things. I am of the belief if we understand the culture of the time, it truly brings the scriptures to life much more for us today. Back then, they all knew what was being referenced, but as I'm not a shepherd or vintner, I'm lost sometimes. I'm glad you're enjoying the book. I haven't read any more in the series, but I never forgot that one and how it impacted how I've always thought of David.

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  5:06:47 PM  Show Profile
I saw these at the bookstore and wondered how they were. I'll have to pick one up.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  2:41:43 PM  Show Profile
I've always been fond of David, and I think this story is a wonderful fictional portrayal of David.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Michal Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page