traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  09:47:22 AM  Show Profile
I read about this somewhere and can't find it.

Somebody mentioned that they left the cast iron on the stove to let the heat char the stuck-on stuff and then brush it off.

I tried this and all that happened was my house filled up with icky smelling smoke. The food did not brush off. Was the temperature too high? I tried this with a ribbed grill. I need an easy way to get "stickings" out of the crevices.

Thanks.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  1:37:54 PM  Show Profile
you need to heat and scrape. What you need is some kind of tool that is like scalloped for the ridges so it can get to the bottom of the ridges at the same time getting the tops and sides of the ridges. While it's hot you scrape off the food, until all the large parts are off, then wipe out.

If this doesn't work, you can also build a fire outside and throw it in the fire till done but then you will have to clean and reseason it.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  7:51:31 PM  Show Profile
Are you talking about food on the inside of the cast iron or the gunk that builds up on the outside after years and years?
If it is on the inside and is just grungy food stuff you can pour some boiling water in it, let it soak for a couple of minutes and then scrape it with an old plastic credit card. Lodge actually makes a plastic thing for this purpose that works great. Pour it out and do it again if necessary. When I'm done I always dry it off and rub a little bacon grease on it.
If you are talking about the outside all I know to do is burn it off but like Heather said you will have to reseason. No stove manufacture would recommend it but lots of people put their cast iron in the oven and then run the clean cycle. If you do this don't leave the house or do it while you are sleeping. It would be better to build a fire and put it in the coals to burn off. Just be sure if you do either one to be ready to season it right away inside and out. If you don't it will rust, quickly! If you have a little rust you can clean it off with steel wool or even sand paper.
Hope this helps. I love my cast iron. I'm hoping one of my granddaughters will be a cook so they will stay in the family!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  09:40:59 AM  Show Profile
Thank you. I will try the boiling water trick.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  09:46:33 AM  Show Profile
I'm hoping that's the answer to your problem. Let us know how it works for you!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  6:49:59 PM  Show Profile
I've heard the boiling water trick works wonders, as well. I've never heard of the "Clean" cycle trick before!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Burning food off cast iron? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page