campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  5:45:16 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know how to get sunscreen stains out of fabric?

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  7:31:08 PM  Show Profile
What I have found over the years to remove any oil based stain on fabrics, including leather and suede is cornmeal, lay it flat cover with corn meal let sit till the meal has darkened, shake off outside and repeat as nessesary, it might take several trys, and sometimes with not remove it all. If the fabric is washable sometimes "Dawn" dishsoap will pull it out also, rub in full strenght, work it with your fingers, and rinse well, repeat if it needs it and then wash as usual...good luck

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1507 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  8:24:01 PM  Show Profile
Erin this really is an excellent question and I hope other farmgirls will have some suggestions that work!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  03:52:51 AM  Show Profile
I've heard great things about this recipe:

SUPER STAIN SOAKER
1 c purex 2 color safe bleach powder
1 c dishwasher powder
5 gal bucket. (if your bucket is 2 or 3 gal, use 1/2 c of the above powders)

*Put powders in bucket.
*Add the hottest tap water you have to bucket.
*Add stained clothes.
*Ignore until next washing day (up to a week), but add more stained things to the bucket as you come across them.
*Dump the entire contents of the bucket (soapy water AND clothes) into the washer.
*Wash, w/o adding more soap, of course.
*Before drying, inspect stuff and throw back into the bucket for round two (I rarely have a round two)

*** Use caution when soaking items w/ bright red or navy blue trim as they may bleed. All other stuff is fine.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  12:34:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks I'll have to try that.
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  10:12:11 AM  Show Profile
I had this happen several years ago. The main culprit was a Clinique brand sunscreen. It turned my clothes a funny orange color. I asked the salesgirl at Macy's and she basically blew me off so I brought in the shirt! No recompense from them. They just said that it was my skin reacting and nobody else had the problem.

I had good luck, if I remember correctly, with a commercial stain remover and then washing in bleach. These were white tops. For flagging, I just bought grey t-shirts that I didn't care about. I think the secret is to let the lotion dry COMPLETELY!! Of course, who has time to do that?

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  7:23:39 PM  Show Profile
I found that Sunlight dish soap put on the orange spots & left sit for a cycle (for my particular washer, it was half an hour, so at the start of the previous load, I would put the dish soap on & leave it sit for the 1/2 hr), then wash would work. It happens with any sunscreen, not just Clinique. I'm using Neutrogena & Hawaiian Tropic & all the sunscreens leave orange marks. Not sure what else would work for you, but since it's dish soap, it can't hurt to try it right? I only ever buy Sunlight dish soap for stains as it is really harsh on my hands.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Sunscreen stains on fabric Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page