Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Cattle and insects Next Topic  

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  5:23:56 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have recipes or brands that they use for keeping insects off cattle, that are organic kind of thing. We have big nasty horse flies bad this year as well as other flying creatures.

Thanks
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  5:38:49 PM  Show Profile
orange oil, works for flies, fleas, ticks and squeeters

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  6:38:08 PM  Show Profile
Do you just put that right on them? Or mix with something? That would be expensive straight. All I have ever seen are little tiny bottles at Whole Foods or places like that. Just wondering. The flies are awful. And I have a cow and calf that keep covered in them no matter how much I spray them. And I noticed my goats had flies on their backs tonight. My poor dog hates being outside because the flies drive him crazy.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  6:43:14 PM  Show Profile
i use pyganic. it is expensive but you dilute with water. i make it for lice and mites and then pour on. with my milk cows in need pyganic which is omri approved or i use ivomec. it is safe for milk. if i dont my girls get chewed up on their milk vein. the flies go right to it. hope this helps. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  7:58:15 PM  Show Profile
Try Sulfur salt blocks they work for us Also, try spreading out the poop to dry faster so the flies don't have any moist piles to lay eggs in. Kris, Forgive me for the time span in getting back to you You should have a package in the mail soon along with the other Southern Sisters. Love and Prayers, Daizy

PHR Farmgirl #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  03:08:55 AM  Show Profile
The flies and all are bad even in the pasture where they spend most of the day. We had lots of rain here and now hot so it is insect heaven Appreciate any and all ideas! We found a spray at feed store but hubby just not comfortable using it as he doesn't want it on the grass where they eat and just not sure what it really does as far as absorbing into the cattle.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  04:35:09 AM  Show Profile
We use a liquid that's put onto their backs-no spray. I'm sure it's not organic at all, but it works. We put them in the head gate and put it on. My pet steer will just stand there in the field while you do it. LOL.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  07:00:02 AM  Show Profile
when we apply the pour on i use a large squirt gin. i aim for their back. it works great. its one of those big power squirt guns. the cows i cannot get close enough to it works great. just a thought. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Cattle and insects Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page