Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **News from MaryJanesFarm
 Submit your Young Cultivators drawings!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **News from MaryJanesFarm: Previous Topic Submit your Young Cultivators drawings! Next Topic  

Ace
Photographer & Videographer

126 Posts

Alicia
Pullman Washington
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  4:06:36 PM  Show Profile
Hey there mother's, aunt's, sisters, grandmother's and mentors of Young Cultivators!

In July, we will be unveiling some spiffy new badges and we wanted to provide the opportunity for the young folk to get their drawin' on! These badges will not be available to submit work on until later in July.
If your Young Cultivator fancies themselves an artist, or just likes to doodle and their art matches up for a badge, please email your scanned or computer drawn (like with windows paint) images to: alicia@maryjanesfarm.org

Only original artwork please!
If you prefer snail mail, send a hard copy to:

MaryJanesFarm
PO Box 8691
Moscow, ID 83843

Listed below are the new badges for each category.

ENERGIZE ME for Cleaning Up:

Beginner: Count the things in and around your house that rely on energy for use. Make a list of how your food is kept cold, how the car starts, and how you stay warm. Not only do cars and light bulbs need energy, you do too! What gives you energy and keeps you working?

Intermediate: Visit a dam or a wind farm with your mentoring Sister. Take a tour with a guide that can explain the way the power of water supplies electricity.

Expert: Conduct your own energy experiment at home. Some suggestions are: build a model of a dam, make a battery using lemons, or “bend” running water with static electricity. You can find instructions for many science projects at your local library or through the Department of Energy and the Environmental Protection Agency’s websites.

BIG KID NOW for Each Other:

Beginner: Research what you want to be when you grow up. Go to the library and pick out a book that explains what a day-in-the-life of that profession is like.

Intermediate: Dress up as what you want to be when you grow up and give a presentation to your family on what you learned and why it is the best job. (You can keep your costume for Halloween.)

Expert: Shadow a family member, friend, or person that works in the career path you want when you grow up. Hang out with them for a day or visit them with your mentoring Sister to see what they do. Can you see yourself doing their job? What is your favorite part about what they do?

MAKE IT FRUITY for Farm Kitchen:

Beginner: With your mentoring Sister, go berry picking at a local farm or CSA.

Intermediate: Find out how to preserve whole fruit by drying it. Look up ways to store it in airtight containers, and make room in a cool, dry, dark place for storing.

Expert: Make your own fruit leather.

GREEN THUMB KIDS for Garden Gate:

Beginner: Try a fruit or vegetable that you would not normally eat. Talk with your mentoring Sister about why you do or don’t like it. Identify your favorite fruit or vegetable.

Intermediate: Visit a local u-pick farm or a farmers’ market. Look for your favorite fruit or vegetable. Discuss why it is or isn’t there and why the organic version is better for you.

Expert: Plant your favorite fruit or vegetable in a garden or in a container (strawberries, peas, and spinach are all easy to grow). Learn how to take care of your plant organically. Your reward? Yummy, healthy vegetables!

PUT ME IN COACH! for Make It Easy:

Beginner: Cut out TV time by joining a sports team for a season or taking lessons in baseball, soccer, horseback riding, karate, bowling, or tennis.

Intermediate: Go to a game of your favorite sport (high school, college, or professional) with a parent. Discuss the discipline and practice that it takes to get to that level in your sport.

Expert: Continue with your sports team or lessons for a second season and get a friend to join or participate with you.

PARK PLACE for Outpost:

1. Beginner: Go to a local park and pick up a bag full of trash or weed any areas that need maintenance.

2. Intermediate: Identify 3-5 indigenous trees or plants in your park by both their common and Latin names.

3. Expert: Contact your local park service and ask where you could plant a tree in your area. (This would be great activity for Arbor Day or Earth Day.)

LITTLE SCRAPPERS for Stitching & Crafting:

Beginner: Take pictures on a family vacation or a day trip with parents or grandparents and print them out to scrapbook later.

Intermediate: Gather the materials for putting together a scrapbook (minimum of three pages), including your photos, markers, and paper. Include the favorite things you did on your family vacation or day trip.

Expert: Share your scrapbook with the people you went on your trip with. Teach a friend how to scrapbook.

-Alicia

"Nothing is better for the inside of a person, than the outside of a horse" -Will Rogers

Edited by - Ace on Jul 26 2011 1:15:44 PM

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  1:51:50 PM  Show Profile
What great new badges! I love the idea of the kids designing the badges. As the mama of a past badge designer, I think it would be extra special if the 'winners' were awarded with a certificate in the mail or something to recognize them! I made a special certificate for my daughter after one of her designs was chosen by MJF.

--June
Farmgirl #545
www.RubyJunes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Photographer & Videographer

126 Posts

Alicia
Pullman Washington
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  10:07:01 AM  Show Profile
Great idea June! We will definitely look into an award of some kind and let you know as we progress :] thanks for the great suggestion! Looking forward to seeing your daughters and others submissions in my mailbox soon, time is a tickin!
alicia@maryjanesfarm.org

:]

-Alicia

"Nothing is better for the inside of a person, than the outside of a horse" -Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  6:23:08 PM  Show Profile
Well you give me about 3 years and I'll be submitting my daughters stuff, I'm sure! :) This is such a great "journey" for young ones to learn!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  **News from MaryJanesFarm: Previous Topic Submit your Young Cultivators drawings! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page