Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Losing Weight... Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  7:11:36 PM  Show Profile
Anyone have a success story they would like to share! i need some motivation to get back on track here!
Over the past 5 years or so I have lost about 50 pounds. Lest one gets too excited I must also add I need to lose about another 50! Half way there is good. and talk about "slow and steady"!

I did WW for a bit, then just followed healthy eating. you know it is simple on the one hand...eat less, move more. But somehow, practically apeaking...it is not so easy!

I had a LOT of stresses in the past 6 months---loss of a loved one,hubby in the hospital, daughter off to college...normal stuff but stressful so I turn to food...my forever friend. JUST KIDDING! But food has always been an issue for me.

i have long since stopped binge eating, but just lack the motivation to move more than I take in! And now that I am pushing 46, well, it takes twice as much work to lose half the weight!

i recently started using the new WW program again. it is a fine program but i am spoiled and don't like to be told I should make better choices...I know it is silly but it is the truth!

So, anyone out there have a story to share??? Like I said, I need motivation

Just a Brooklyn, NY gal trying to figure out this country thing after 12+ years in the woods of NE PA! Wife of my HS sweetie going on 23 years and mom to the amazing four ages 19(g), 17(s), 14(s), 13(s)!
Donna
Sister # 3062
http://restingunderthepinetree.blogspot.com/

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  09:01:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Donna!!!

I have always been overweight and have always felt I'm in the wrong body. My personality is very energetic and I want to be out doing things, especially out hiking in the woods and being outdoorsy.

In January of this year I rejoined Weight Watchers. I had many reasons but two of the most important were 1) my ulcerative colitis was out of control and I thought that MAYBE by eating better I could get it under control (it's a crazy disease and sometimes nothing helps) and 2) I am 53 years old and have always wanted to be a hiker so I wanted to lose weight for that. (I am a big person, seriously I am big-boned, and weigh over 250.) I'm not getting any youger and I'm afraid my life is going to pass me by and I'll have missed being outdoors and on the trail.

Weight Watchers started out really well for me. I "clicked" with my leader and enjoyed the early Sunday morning meetings. I lost twenty pounds pretty quickly. I started doing Wii Fit Plus and I little bit of walking. Then I met up with a GREAT hiking buddy through Weightlossbuddies.com (or is it Weightlossbuddy.com?). We are both at a similar fitness level and we go hiking with her wonderful (and patient, at times) husband most weekends. We seem to keep doing a little more mileage each time we go out -- last weekend we went five miles. I then read a newspaper article about Meetup groups (Meetup.com) and joined for a local hiking group but when I realized they were a bit too hard core for me I found another group called Women's Walk and Talk. There were only meetups in another part of town so I contacted the organizer and for the past month-plus I've been leading hikes and walks in my area!!! Between the Meetups and the hikes I do with my hiking buddies (the couple) I've been going three times a week. And while we are not the fastest or best in shape, we are working on it and more importantly, getting out there and doing it!!!

Unfortunately, WW has kind of fallen by the wayside and my eating habits aren't all that great right now. (My regular leader was gone a couple of meetings and I just don't care for the person who replaces her.) I've decided if I have the chance to go hiking Sunday mornings I'll do that instead of the meeting.

I'm kind of hoping to add bike riding to what I do -- I have to get the bike cleaned up, etc. My daughter and I are taking a free bike maintenance class through our local REI next week. Plus I'm hoping that I can make it through the heat of summer. I don't do well in the heat. =(

I should add that after struggling with my ulcerative colitis for 15 years with MAYBE one remission (or maybe not), right now I AM IN REMISSION!!! I don't know if the walking and exercise has helped or not, but I know it hasn't hurt me!

So my story isn't a success in that I've lost all my weight, etc. I am feeling really good about myself because I am getting out there and enjoying myself. (We saw two deer last night on our hike!) I have a few friends who have joined me on the Walk and Talk hikes and walks and because I took on the group in this area I am getting a few other women out who might not otherwise be doing it.

All the best of luck in your journey...

Karin
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  6:33:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for sharing Karin! I would def say that walking added to your remission as well as self esteem and energy! I know when I actually do walk (I generally use a program called Walk Away the Pounds) I feel so much better and I simply do not lose weight unless I am adding movement to my day.
Truth is, when we lived on a larger piece of land with a larger garden and outside chores, I moved more. When I lived in New York City, I walked EVERYWHERE! Took the bus or walked---I didn;t even HAVE a drivers liscence so if I didn't walk, I didn't get anywhere :0).

I feel like I have become so sedentary...I drive everywhere ESPECIALLY in the warmer weather--I am such a cool weather person. So, I admite---summertime is not a good time for me regarding weight loss :0). But I need to get my rear in gear!

I like WW---mostly because I need to write things down---and WEIGH/PORTION my food. Somehow 1 cup of pasta looks so small---but add 1-2 cups cooked veggies and it is HUGE!

Well, good luck on your endeavors...if you ever need encouragement pop me a line and I will do my best to help! I will look at Meet Up, but our town is so small and to get to a larger place like say Scranton (YES! The place in the TV show The Office!) is a 50 min drive. Maybe I should strat a group :0).

Just a Brooklyn, NY gal trying to figure out this country thing after 12+ years in the woods of NE PA! Wife of my HS sweetie going on 23 years and mom to the amazing four ages 19(g), 17(s), 14(s), 13(s)!
Donna
Sister # 3062
Go to Top of Page

thehatlady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Lola
Doniphan Missouri
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  08:16:33 AM  Show Profile
I feel like I'm a success story in action, so maybe I can help motivate you. I'm 72 soon to be 73, and I have lost 165#'s and have maintained it for over a year now. It did take me 11 years to accomplish the feat but losing slower help to learn better habits and makes keeping it off more successful. I did mine through WW, I keep track of everything, make sure I eat plenty of veggies and fruit, my exercise is not a schedualed event for me , although I do try to get in extra walking.

Eating is the only thing we each have complete control over, I know we all have our favorite foods, and of course we over-indulge.LOL But we have to learn to make healthier choices. Following the food pyramid is good.

Losing weight is a struggle any way you want to cut it, maintaining is also a struggle also. But with each pound lost it take 4#'s of pressure from your knee joints, losing weight helps relieve a lot of health problems also. I do not take any medication at all, not even over the counter meds. And to me that is great. Sorry to say all of my kids are on BP meds and meds for diabetis and have some heart problems. Guess I didn't start soon enough to teach them good habits and they are paying for it now, although my girls have taken up healthier ways of eating.

I tell everyone trying to lose weight you have to have a dream, with the dream comes determination , and with the determination comes the motivation. I hope this has been of some help for you. The best of luck on your journey as that is what weight lose is, of course there are bumps in the road along the way, just slow down, take a deep breath and proceed.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Lola

Every day, in every way, I become better and better.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  08:55:40 AM  Show Profile
After my husband died I gained 40 lbs. That is not as much as some of you have faced but for me at 5'2" and normally 107 pounds it was life changing. I am a hiker too Karin. I went on a section hike on the AT with a group and could not believe how hard it was for me. I felt like my body had betrayed me. I had no idea how much weight I had gained till I saw the photos from that trip. I did not recognize myself in them.
I began walking everyday. Never kept up with miles, but noticed that I was out there longer each time. I cut white sugar and processed grains out of my diet. I can't tolerate any artifical sweeteners so I used honey or agave. I started to lose weight and feel better so I decided to join a running/walking group. That went well till I broke a bone in my foot. That turned out to be a blessing in disguise. A friend invited me to join her and her trainer for a gym session in weights and resistance training. I would really rather be outside and I really don't like gyms but rather than sit and be inactive I went. I loved her trainer. She asked about my goals and what I was already doing. She was supportive and so positive. She convinced me to add 2 weight and resistance work outs to my week. Truly it made all the difference! I added to my muscle mass so the weight loss did not leave me looking "old" I was 49. The added muscle burned more calories even when I was not moving. Believe me I was no body builder! I never wanted that! My foot healed, I stared running again and actually ran several 1/2 marathons with a respectable time. 5 years later and the weight is still off. I no longer run but remain active, my weight lifting is done on the farm and my GD makes a good workout too!
I can't say enough about weights and resistance training. It helps prevent bone loss too. I felt stronger and had better balance. The weight loss was wonderful and I know it made me healthier but I think the added muscle did more for my sense of well being. I really just wanted to feel better. I was tired of being sick and tired. That was my motivation. I had no idea what that would look like but I found it along the way.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  10:41:13 AM  Show Profile
I love to walk for exercise but where I live it is a busy road and there is really not a lot of options. I don't live close to places one would normally go to walk. I did weight watchers and it took me a short time to reach my goal. I did not have a lot to lose. Then they switched to the new program. I am struggling with that. I put almost all of the weight back on. I also have trouble coming to grips with the fact that if I want to keep it off I have to write everything down for the rest of my life pretty much. I have started reading a book called Body Clutter put out my the woman who is aka the Flylady. So I am going to try this and still keep track of my points. I don't go to the meetings nor do I use the online program. Right now I am not able to spend the extra money on paying someone until I am able to get the weight off. I know it works I have succeeded but it is to much to spend right now. I know it is the moving that helps me get it off and right now that is what I need to concentrate on. thanks for sharing your stories! They are encouraging!!

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  12:50:54 PM  Show Profile
"I'm kind of hoping to add bike riding to what I do -- I have to get the bike cleaned up, etc. My daughter and I are taking a free bike maintenance class through our local REI next week." Karin, I haven't forgotten about you. I keep thinking I need to reply to your last email and the weeks just fly by. I still want to do a bike ride. And I still haven't even looked at my bike. I pledge to clean up my bike this weekend, and then, maybe...we'll get a ride in - if the weather doesn't shoot to the high '90's by then! Glad to see your walking group is working out. Michele
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  1:49:42 PM  Show Profile
I just melt in the summertime heat---but of course it's not the fat that melts away :0). I am already looking forward to fall! Cray, right!
Well, you all have some inspiring stories. It is plain as day that all it takes is some hard work and determination...and of course that pivotal moment when you know you are just plain ready to it. I keep waiting for that moment...

Donna
Sister # 3062
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  6:09:31 PM  Show Profile
"I tell everyone trying to lose weight you have to have a dream, with the dream comes determination , and with the determination comes the motivation."

Lola, this was a GREAT quote from you!!!

My two weekend hiking friends (a married couple) and I did what was going to be a hike in the future, to a place called Big Rock. We decided we were ready the weekend before and left early in the morning on Sunday, before the heat of the day. We gained a lot of elevation in the beginning, then had some more level ground, and then some really steep sections towards the top. GORGEOUS views of the Spokane Valley and Rathdrum Prairie on the way up and FANTASTIC views of the Palouse from the top!!! We went about 5-6 miles in four hours or so. (And spent about an hour at the top.) We aren't the fastest hikers but the female of the couple and I are both in our early 50s and overweight, and we're darn proud of ourselves!!! I have to pinch myself that we actually did it -- and survived without a lot of soreness, etc.!!!

But now the weather is getting hot. I cancelled my Walk and Talk hike last night. Only my friend and I were signed up and we decided it was too darn hot! I have a walk tomorrow then will be out of town (vacation!) next week. My daughter and I are visiting a friend in Vancouver, BC who is taking us to the mountains at Whistler (where the Olympics were) and we're going to do some hiking while there. Yay!

I joined a nearby gym a couple of days ago. My daughter goes there now and today we went, did some time on the bicycles and then hit the ball around on a racquetball court today. If I have a gym to go to maybe I can keep active when it's too hot outside or too icy on the streets, sidewalks, and trail.

A year ago I never thought I would be active like this!!!

Happy Trails, Karin
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  05:23:44 AM  Show Profile
That is awesome Karin! Keep up the good work---or should I say "walk" :0). I can understand not walking because it is too hot!
Last I night I went to see my boys at scout camp and they wanted me to see EVERYHING at the camp---hiking galore! but I was able to do the entire camp and not get out of breath until the very last hill. It felt good!!

Donna
Sister # 3062
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  07:24:55 AM  Show Profile
Sorry ladies but this post may seem harsh and I don't want to offend anyone but here goes. First off congratulations to the successes of losing weight and starting a healthy living program. I have struggled with up and down yo yo weight for most of my adult life until I stopped making excuses for why I couldn't lose weight and keep it off. We are all adults and we all teach our children to follow rules etc. but we don't like to follow the weight and exercise rules. We limit our children's food to good stuff and we limit the tv time and computer time but we don't necessary do this for ourselves. We make them go outside and run around but we may not do it. I' 5'7" and range between 150 and 160 lbs and have now for about 5 years. I am not small but I am fairly solid. But everyday I do an hour of exercise regardless of weather and regardless of what I have to do each day. I run, walk, pilates, boot camp in backyard, weight lifting and change it up. Food wise I allow myself goodies because we all need a treat once in a while. It is worth it. I take no medications, have no joint or bone issues, and everything else is good health wise. Please ladies be good to yourselves and get moving. It is way better for physical and mental health. Take control and be good to your self.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  09:19:49 AM  Show Profile
Ingrid
You are so right. Since I got high speed internet, I have steadily gained weight. I spend way too much time on the computer since I work from home, it is easy to flip over from work stuff to fun stuff online.
Some of my weight gain can be blamed on menopause, but most of it is my fault. I used to work out 2-3 hours a day & literally all weekend, & had the body to prove it. Now. Well I am a bit fat tub of goo.
If you don't use it, you lose it.
I remember a great commercial about 5 or so years ago, where they showed Lance Armstrong riding his bike up a mountain in cold pouring rain & other horrible conditions.
He said "People want to know what I'm on....I'm on my bike 8 hrs a day,, What are YOU on???"
(& whether he did steroids or not, the fitness was undeniable, & that line has stuck in my head)

Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  1:15:39 PM  Show Profile
This is rather snide, but, try the my-husband-quit-his-$30-an-hour-job diet. I've lost 15 pounds.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  1:22:19 PM  Show Profile
OH! So sorry Loyce...I wish that would be the case for me. The mere mention of job loss and all I want to do is eat more...sigh! I feel for you---I hope it all works out for you very soon!

Donna
Sister # 3062
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  4:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Donna- I am going to start doing the Couch to 5k routine to help me get in shape. I need to lose AT LEAST 50 pounds!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  7:05:10 PM  Show Profile
I am off for a complete physical tomorrow and a plan to being August 1st with accountability to my doctor---maybe that will kick me into gear! I am so tired lately---I do have Epstein Barre--like many people! But I think it may be a bit more than that---AH! The overweight woman's dream---maybe it's my thyroid and a little pill will help me out 0_o!!! JK---I am going to look for Couch to 5K---is it a specific workout???

Donna
Sister # 3062
Go to Top of Page

LisaH
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Lisa
Granger IN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  09:49:24 AM  Show Profile
Donna, I found your post to be timely for me. Like many of you, I have a significant amount of weight to lose. It is never easy and unfortunately, I get frustrated easily and never seem to follow through. Each time I think...this time I'm going to do it...only to get a few pounds in and give up. I began...again...my healthy living plan this week. Why it is so hard to stick with this, I have no idea. I'm already feeling better just because I'm eating whole organic foods. You would think that alone would be motivation, wouldn't you? As someone who struggles with blood sugar issues, I felt like crap for the first few days, but am now finally beginning to feel good again. I'll be checking back periodically to see how you are doing. I wish you great success. You can do this...just keep your eyes on the prize. :-)

Lisa
An Indiana Suburban Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  11:01:19 AM  Show Profile
Even though I am in about the only part of the US that hasn't been experiencing those terrible hot temperatures (and our summers are usually hot and dry!), I seem to be experiencing some July sluggish-ness... sigh. I did join a nearby gym so I can do stuff with my daughter and also have a place to workout when it's too hot or too cold or icy. We hit the ball around in the racquetball court and also do some stuff on the treadmill, exercise bicycles, and a few of the other machines (that I don't know all that much about yet).

I have, unfortunately, not been doing much hiking or walking. I do hope my daugher and I can head over to the Montana and Idaho border tomorrow for a short hike (four or five miles roundtrip) to one of two mountain lake trails I've been wanting to go on forever.

The "Couch to 5K" thing sounds interesting!!! I never, ever thought I would run or jog! I had to do it over thirty years ago for a Forest Service job and HATED it!!! But for awhile this spring I was running for ten minutes with my Wii Fit Plus. So I'm looking into it!

My eating has been terrible!!! I'm going through a period when everything seems out of control, from work to home, etc.

It's so nice to have this forum to share our struggles and accomplishments!!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  2:21:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all of your posts. I never had a weight problem, but thanks to menopause and quitting smoking, I have gained 30 pounds in the past 2 years. I exercise every day and try to watch my diet but it just won't leave. I have been holding off on taking hormone shots and have been trying herbal remedies for hot flashes, etc. Does anyone know what will help my metabolism start working again?

Judy

"Courage is when you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what". Atticus Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  09:43:54 AM  Show Profile
Judy, the only thing I know of to get the metabolism moving is to get moving physically. The only reason our metabolism slows down is because we do. When our children are young and so are we we do a lot more movement. The more you do the more you want to do. That was what my mom always said and it is true. She has never been overweight because she was always on the move.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  7:40:27 PM  Show Profile
I'm tellin' ya...I have to work twice as hard for half the loss. But I met with my dr last week and she really encouraged me to take this 1 month at a time. No more excuses...I will weigh in with her once a month. For a $20 co-pay, I cannot go wrong! It's way cheaper than WW and really, i KNOW what I need to do...eat less, move more!
So, August 1st---tomorrow, I begin my next attempt to get healthy! My goal is to lose 25 pounds by Christmas. A reasonable goal. I have set them before...losing 50 pounds should have kept me motivated---instead I yo-yo'ed with 5 pounds here...then 13 pounds....them lose 17 pounds...over all, I am UP 8 pounds since last Novemebr and this must STOP now!
I love www.sparkpeople.comto keep motivated and just have a daily place to vent!
Hopefully, this will be a goal I can meet over the next 5 months! I mean, that's ONLY 5 pounds a month!!!

Donna
Sister # 3062
Go to Top of Page

momof2jrt
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Denise
grafton wv
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  06:48:12 AM  Show Profile
Maybe you could share some of your meals and ideas on here.
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  04:49:38 AM  Show Profile
Denise,
I feel like I'm constantly on the move. I walk 1 to 2 miles a day with my dogs, play golf, exercise on my Wii (Wii Fit, Active & Dance), some days, as much as 3 hours of exercise. It just doesn't have the same effect it used to. Oh well, the joys of getting older..
Donna, please keep checking in on your goal, 25 pounds by Christmas would be great. You've encouraged me to make an appointment with my Dr. Maybe I'll set the same goal. Thanks ladies.

Judy

"Courage is when you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what". Atticus Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Losing Weight... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page