Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Whatcha gonna do when the well runs dry?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Whatcha gonna do when the well runs dry? Next Topic  

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  07:55:26 AM  Show Profile
So our water was sputtering and then yesterday morning Rob got up to get a drink and there was none. Yay. We called the well guys in a town just south of here and they were out here right away. They are currently finishing up....

I'll have some pics up later as soon as photobucket stops being a jerk.

"I would not interfere with any creed of yours or want to appear that I have all the cures. There is so much to know...so many things are true. The way my feet must go may not be best for you. And so I give this spark of what is light to me, to guide you through the dark, but not tell you
what you must see."
-Author Unknown

"Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth."
— Blaise Pascal

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  08:00:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh, No! How terrible, I hope it doesn't cost too much $$! Good luck, I will check back for the photos later....
Thinking of you (I guess when it rains, it pours)
Kate
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  08:09:25 AM  Show Profile
Well the good news is that when we bought the farm, there was a sandpoint. In our contract it was provisioned for in escrow that the previous owner would pay if it went out within three years. Thankfully we are still within that time period. He has 3000 in escrow for it, but he will have to come up with an additional 1500. So thankfully it doesn't comeout of our pockets....i just need a shower dammit!

"I would not interfere with any creed of yours or want to appear that I have all the cures. There is so much to know...so many things are true. The way my feet must go may not be best for you. And so I give this spark of what is light to me, to guide you through the dark, but not tell you
what you must see."
-Author Unknown

"Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth."
— Blaise Pascal

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  08:52:29 AM  Show Profile
Do you have a swimming pool close to you? It isn't as good as a shower at home, but you can cool off and go swimming! It might be a fun distraction for your girls...or you can do what we usually do, head for the hills and a cool, clear steam. I like that better than chlorine...
Sorry, honey.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  08:55:20 AM  Show Profile
What DO you do when the well runs dry? Are these guys digging a new one? Digging the old one deeper? I obviously don't know much about wells.

Amie
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  10:18:25 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes they have to dig deeper, sometimes they have to put an extension on the pipe so it goes deeper and hits the water. On occassion the water tables (during times of draught) get lower so an extension is needed. Sometimes the pump in the well (if you have one) goes out and needs to be replaced. I'm not sure about the sandpoint - that's sometimes attached to the pump to keep the sand out of the water, or if you have a shallow well it could mean the point of the pipe that's driven into the sand where there's water. And then sometimes they have to dig a brand new well. It wouldn't hurt to talk to the crew - many times they are happy to explain and you'd be the wiser for it. Good luck on it. When you are a homeowner, (or while you are alive) expect things to break....things break and need fixin - but that just serves to make us appreciate it when its working right. I'm so glad I don't have to go to a well some distance away and have to tote water FOR EVERYTHING! We are so lucky to live now when everything is so convenient - perhaps this is a dose of reality to help you appreciate what you have. Sounds like you're have a not so great day or week, sorry things aren't going as well as you'd like. It help me to leave the problems alone for a while and do something calming, then come back and work on the problems. This will all pass and life will be good again.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  10:30:34 AM  Show Profile
its all done! we have to run a hose for about 4 hours because of the chlorine they use when they punch it, but after that we are good to go. We can'[t drink it until we get the report back from the state, but we can shower this afternoon.

They had to dig a new one as the existing one was only sandpoint, which are illegal (when digging a new well anyway.)

So it's all over and we have our new well and all is good....

what you must see."
-Author Unknown

— Blaise Pascal

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  10:19:35 AM  Show Profile
I don't know if they told you or not, but you should also run that chlorine water thru every pipe in your house - turn on all the faucets and let the water run thru them, too, to kill any bacteria that might be in them.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  8:03:47 PM  Show Profile
yep yep.....did that...:D

what you must see."
-Author Unknown

— Blaise Pascal

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2006 :  07:15:03 AM  Show Profile
My pump died LAST NIGHT!!! It must be a well/pump thing in the stars, Tasha!!!Have called our pump guy but no word from him yet...I'm so glad I read this thread..never thought to flush the pipes with chlorinated water..Thanks..keep us in the light!
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Whatcha gonna do when the well runs dry? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page