sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  12:22:52 PM  Show Profile
well as some of you know we are farmers. we have a variety of stock. so when we were offered a produce garbage route for a major chain of grocery stores we said yes. I AM SO SHOCKED BY WHAT GOES IN. i am SO HAPPY TO HAVE THIS FOOD. my thought is a lot of it is good. so we pull from the top for us. we use our clean cans. we drop two off and pickup 2 full. a lot of watermelon rind. the main stuff is corn apple orange potatoe and lettuce trim. but there is so much food its hard to wrap our brain around it. we wash the oranges and apples if good. we use vinegar and soap. some of the folks who come here dont care where its from. we give the good stuff away free. they donate a few dollars now and then for our gas. we feed about 300 pounds a day to stock. i sort it out. if i did not we would have a mess. my thought is i am so blessed to have this. BUT what a waste of food. i know there is a lot going in the land fill. the store said it costs about 500. dollars to dump. sometimes like this time on top in a seperate box was roma tomatoes perfect ready to process. so this must be happening all over the us. thats a lot of food. whats your thoughts on waste. my cows and goats cry for the goodies right at 4 when we start feeding. maddie puts her calf to bed on alfalfa hay and eats fruit. melon anyone. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  5:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Sherry! That is great for you! I didn't even know there were such things!
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  5:54:04 PM  Show Profile
I believe San Francisco has a law that restaurants must compost their food waste. I'd like to see that catch on everywhere. When I first started working at the hospital, we'd freeze a lot of leftover food and give it to a food pantry.. but we had to stop due to possible lawsuits in case someone got sick from the food. Sometimes you just can't win.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  6:12:17 PM  Show Profile
This made me think about the "are you crazy?" looks I got wen I asked my grocery store for their excess onion skins to use for dyeing wool. They were happy to do it once they realized I was serious. Every time I went in the back to get them there were boxes of things headed to the trash. They looked fine to me. I asked if they ever donated it to the shelter or food bank and they said no because of the liability. I had visions of a hungry child going to bed. Just could not stand it.
Why when so many are hungry?
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  7:23:09 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, years ago I would go to a small grocery store and get their old produce for my animals. There was still good stuff in the boxes. I hated to throw it away so we used the good things. Like apples or oranges. Just a waste. Yes, it does go on all over. We are a very wasteful country. And most places won't let anyone get the food. They have to throw it away or they could face very stiff fines. It's really a shame.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  7:55:14 PM  Show Profile
here it is a liability problem, they, the grocery stores, can not give any food away, period. The dumpsters are kept inside and locked. The fast food and dine-in resturants are the same way, it all goes to the dump, all because 1 person comp;ained a few years back that they got sick, which turned out to be a lie, but that ended it, no one wants the possible law suits...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  8:48:15 PM  Show Profile
it truly is awful, what all is thrown away. the freegans go dumpster diving for good food that has been thrown out but their numbers are few. i ask the produce department at my local stores for "trimmings" for my pigs and goats and am often shocked by what they throw away. our community is looking at becomng a no-waste community and stores will have to compost what they can. we have a friend who's a food delivery truck driver and the piles of stuff he sees thrown away blows his mind. if there's any little thing wrong with a delivery it has to be dumped! and that the food can't be given to hungry people for liability reasons is just nuts.

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  05:00:01 AM  Show Profile
When I worked in the hospital (this was about 16 yrs ago) you should have seen what they made me put down the disposal. I was told they used to give it to the shelters but we (kitchen help) would overcook hoping for an overflow to donate and that they feard lawsuits also. Shame common sense doesnt work in our legalistic society anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  09:08:45 AM  Show Profile
Well, think if it this way Sherry-- It's no longer being wasted if its now feeding your animals and reducing your feed bill. We could all make a big difference in our own communities if each of us with appropriate menageries inquired similarly.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  09:47:19 AM  Show Profile
A few year ago my husband and I would go by the grocery stores and collect the food they had discarded. There was so much still-good food that we just gave it out to whoever wanted it. That was fine for a while, then the store decided they didn't want that, so they began pouring spoiled milk all over the food so humans could not eat it. After that only pig farmers could go get it. I don't know if they still do it or not but it sure was a waste of good food (although the pigs were happy).

Caron

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  5:34:55 PM  Show Profile
Colorado passed laws that have made it impossible to get that from resturants, stores and in some counties even from the farmers... We ca not even have the onion skins. It is madness because the government again has found a way to screw over the small business person. I even was willing to sign a wavier but the fines would be equal to what I make a year. See I got to move where you are Sherrye. In fact now our little one room school house has a chemical they have to pour over the food that the kids throw out because they want no one even thinking out it = that means waste plue the additional cost of chemicals and the poison to the land fills. Yep that is our government at work....

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  7:19:29 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by grace gerber

In fact now our little one room school house has a chemical they have to pour over the food that the kids throw out because they want no one even thinking out it = that means waste plue the additional cost of chemicals and the poison to the land fills. Yep that is our government at work....

Ya know, there are certain crazy conspiracy theorists out there that say the government does this kind of thing to force us into being dependent on them and foster communism...

Not that I necessarily agree with them but it's kind of hard to argue when it comes to spending money for the strict purpose of ruining food waste.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  7:45:05 PM  Show Profile
What was worse Jen was I show the school board hot toxic the chemical are and they damage they can do to ground water and wild life but they where more concern with the issue that they never wished to be responsible for someone eating the food instead of giving it to the hog farm that has been taking it away for zero cost to the county... I don't think it is a conspiracy I just think it is plain stupid folks in positions of a bit of power... Folks wonder why I would rather talk to my goats then most of the nutters out there in suits...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  05:03:21 AM  Show Profile
Wow Grace. Its been 20 years since I have been to Co. Grew up there. Remember dad going to Italian restaurant about 15 min from farm and getting truck loads of throw away bread for our hogs. Times have changed havent they? How sad. Can it go to a higher authority and attempt to reverse the decision? Co was such a big environmental state it seems one of their groups would get on board to help you fight this and have the clout to achieve it.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  05:55:05 AM  Show Profile
Lea you would think but while this was going on we were getting hit with all types of bills everything from water rights being grab up by the government to wild life hunting changes, not to say also all the smaller farms are being squeezed out with USDA Reg's and inspections of Farmers Markets shutting down folks left and right so folks are scared to pieces that one wrong move and we get sued. Fear is their best weapon and is seems like folks have given up. The government can bury us in red tape and court fees till there is nothing left. The general public really does not give a peck they just want cheap fast food and sugar energy drinks.. Sorry for the rant but it really burns my hide - folks forgot how to fight for the rights.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  08:13:05 AM  Show Profile
i thought i would stop by this am before i go out. it still amazes me also the fear we have of being sued. i am so sorry life is so big for you right now grace. we are still in limbo here too. i have been scrambling to get enough dollars to pay the house payment. we are waiting on them to figure out THEIR error. so while we wait with out income the bills do not stop. so we made it this month. its due on the second. we will have it. yipee. life is so uncertain. so papa just got back with the cans. today there are 3 huge rolling cans full of food. it is a fine thing for us for sure. the cows here the trailor roll in and the goats. they hollar wheres the apples yum. i am down with flu. bummer. so i am waiting for my pain meds to kick in. i need to milk 2 cows today. this is belles day. she is slowly cutting back on her production. man she cries when i dont bring her in with hazel. then i cry. i LOVE milking her. tonight we are getting to 31 then next day ALL plants go in garden. we always get these late freezes. i bet there is going to be some good food for all in the bins. a gal came last night. she carried 4 bags away. she was so happy. they have a family of four. with foodstamps they get 100.00 a month. he works part time. so she was so happy to have food. i feel honored to be able to share. this weel 6 families had extra food. happy days here my cup runneth over. Jehovah has never left me hungry. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  07:21:30 AM  Show Profile
Is Larkspur by a state line? I am in the corner of the state here and that has the advantage of different laws just hop over the line type thing. Did that make sense?lol. What is scary is when I read graces "folks forget how to fight for the rights" I remembered after 9-11 cutting a mans hair who said "Be careful Lea. Freedom is lost in the little things" Later I was to find out he had been a body guard for JFK and I gave that statement serious consideration. Dont sell short the power of the individual. Write your congressman. Get your local 4-H clubs to give talks on food waste. Use the back door approach to get the word out.Farmers here signed petitions etc over animal i.d. fed was going to do. It was a big deal and my dad was in an uproar. I told him if he was to ranch he would do it their way. He and others said its wrong and fought. My dad passed away and 2 months later the fed gov decides the cost wasnt worth it and scrapped the program. He didnt live to see it but he helped change what he thought was an infringemnet on his rights.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  2:43:36 PM  Show Profile
wow lea, that is a great story. you must be so proud of him now. i have folks who come every other day for good food. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  06:18:59 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye it sounds like a wonderful week of sharing to others. You take care of yourself and hope you are feeling better... I send healing prayers your way..
Yes, for 16 years I tried to get folks in 4H to start the work needed to keep our rights in place but they just did not want to do the work and was more interested that their kid won something (cash) instead of learned something. I even spent years on the county fair board to put organic's and heritage breeds into the fair. I got it there but once I retired in a year they went back to what it was before because no one really cared unless I was standing behing them with my loud voice.
Out where I live I am the nutter - you know the one with weird animals and no chemicals - most give lip service to sell something organic but behind closed doors they spray the crap out of everything and give all those shots that the vet's push..I fight each year with the county not to spray infront of my farm which the guy who does it is another guy on our country fair board and county extention office... I hate to sound bitter but I have been fighting the fight for so long and it doesn't seem to matter to those who live out here.. As far as us being close to a boarder that would allow I am not - that is why I really have been considering a change for me. I would love to be in an area that supports and helps a better way of life - got any suggestions on where that might be...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  07:42:04 AM  Show Profile
Not that I am biased but I vote for the Ozarks. My husband and I could never have afforded the quality of life we enjoy here if we had stayed in Colorado. You can sneeze here without needing a permit lol
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  09:00:08 AM  Show Profile
I sneeze a lot so that is a good thing Really I have been considering just sitting somewhere and doing nothing but my fiber business.... The other problem I have is when selling my animals (if I every do on a blue moon) most really do not care about what they are doing... I had one family who wanted my little one's for goat roping - I asked them to leave.. One was just going to put the goats on a huge 75 acre empty lot with no protection to eat the thistles. Then I sold one of my prized guys to a friend and she proceeded to loose him within two days... I know I love my goats but REALLY!!

So the Ozarks - is there a need for a fiber nut like me??

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  09:18:15 AM  Show Profile
A number of years ago, my daughter danced with a ballet company that was sponsored by on of the huge churches in the area. Panera Bread would drop off enormous sacks of leftover breads in the building where the dancers were practicing and they had to really practice self-control not to dive in and gobble up the goodies (ballet dancers are supposed to stay thin!) but the church gave away the food to anyone who needed it. Not happening anymore because of liability issues. It stinks. When did we become this nation of lawyers and victims just looking for a buck from people who are trying to be good neighbors??

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  08:08:30 AM  Show Profile
well i must say we have a lotta food here today. papa brought 2 cans home. we emptied them and hes gone to the other store. there will be 3 cans there. i am so happy to be able to share this with others. we keep the cans super clean. the fod is pulled a few hours before we pick up. we have 9 heads of leaf lettuce on top. no damage, why was it pulled? probably to make room for the new box. i need to process some of it into canning jars. i am so time challenged. wow lots of stuff to do in a day. yesterday was a sunny warm day. folks who came for milk etc. stayed the day. they bbq.ed and playrd on the slip and slide. then our kids came over. we are taking out a garden for another corral. so fun and busy happy day. today we have 5 cans to sort through. maddie the cow is screaming as we speak. its not for hay. she wants bananas. i am feeding fruit in the milk room now. it will save me 10.00 a week on alfalfa pellets. i need to get some pics on here. they are so funny when being hand fed strawberries and bananas. grace you could come here and check out oregon. i would love to meet you. i know its next to impossible to leave the farm. who does chores if your away? hope you are having a fine farmgirl day sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  04:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Sherry your posts are so uplifting. I think it is amazing how many people are being helped thru what you do. Ya know Grace maybe if you want a way of life Co is not letting you have and you have done all you can to change the wrong being done there maybe it is time to look elsewhere. Seems something to give serious prayer to.Its hard tn not be discouraged. State after state pass more laws keeping us from being self sufficient. Is that on purpose to make us look to the government for help?
Go to Top of Page

osagegypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Marsha
Hominy OK
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  09:01:56 AM  Show Profile
I had a neighbor who worked at a Walmart Distribution Center. She said if anything fell on the floor they had to dump it. She had pigs and would bring home a pickup bed full of food. She finally had to quit bringing the food home because she couldn't keep up with the amounts they were culling!

"Though she never shook the stars from their appointed courses; she loved good men and rode good horses." unk.
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  05:25:26 AM  Show Profile
wow, i didnt realize this was going on,
connie

http://www.naturemaiden.com/- Handcrafted Bath & Body products
http://flowerchild-lifeinthegarden.blogspot.com/ My Blog
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/farmgirl-crafting-group/ - A group for all farmgirls wanting to share their craft.

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic grocery store food waste Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page