nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  12:17:18 PM  Show Profile
I am going to start canning this summer/fall. I inherited a nice, glass top range. That's the problem- not a safe way to can using it, without possibly doing major damage. I read some people can outdoors, using propane. I can invest some in a heavy duty propane cooker, like this-
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camp-Chef-Weekender-2-Burner-Stove/4809684

I do have a patio right off my kitchen, power, and water. Anyone tried eletric? I'd like to do that, but I don't want to buy a range. Any ideas???

Be the change...

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  1:08:46 PM  Show Profile
That is exactly what I am going to be doing! We do not have air conditioning and I have a very hard time handling the heat when I'm pregnant. Right now I'm 20 weeks so by the time it's time to do fall canning the heat would be unbearable to do it inside. I am going to be doing it on my screened in covered porch! I figure as long as I have clean, sanitary conditions much like in a house, what could be the difference? Just make sure you have enough propane so you don't run out half way through using a pressure canner! I haven't heard of anyone else doing it but it makes perfect sense for me :) Good luck!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  1:10:59 PM  Show Profile
I like the photo about 1/2 way down, relaxing while canning- http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg1200312320977.html

I have A/C, but not outdoors! But it's heavily shaded...

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  2:20:48 PM  Show Profile
Nice! I hope I can be that relaxed while canning too!!!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  2:23:08 PM  Show Profile
I started reading a little on that forum and I am glad to see that another lady has used (successfully too!) a turkey fryer burner. That is exactly what I had in mind to can outside. . . Thanks for sharing that forum! I am finding it most useful and encouraging! :)

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  3:21:02 PM  Show Profile
My sister in law cans on a camp chef every year and loves it. I say go for it!! I keep ruining the burners on my electric range with the heavy canning pots.I need to get some sort of trivet thing to hold the weight of the pot so it isn't on the coil so heavy.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  3:40:21 PM  Show Profile
There is no reason this won't work. You might need to make a wind screen out of a fire proof material to put around the burner and bottom of the pot to keep the heat consistent if it is windy. I use heavy duty foil several layers thick if I am dyeing wool outside on propane. It's the same principle used on camp stoves when back packing. It conserves the heat saving on propane use while keeping the heat consistent.
My grandmother canned on a wood stove in an un air conditioned house in Arkansas! Whew! That must have been awful!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  3:59:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the ideas. I had looked into the turkey propane unit, but it didn't sound as adjustable. Some of the newer outdoor units come w/wind screens, but I can always build one!

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  4:08:27 PM  Show Profile
Of course you can you are a FarmGirl!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  4:11:21 PM  Show Profile
:) Anyone use something electric though? I'd rather do that...

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

bertha
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Bertha
St Joseph Mi
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  4:26:32 PM  Show Profile
Just a word about glass top ranges Be very careful I dropped a plate on mine and it shattered.. To replace it 500.00 Just sayin..
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  5:22:48 PM  Show Profile
I'm considering this, it's small and I could use it inside, no propane to buy... http://www.amazon.com/Waring-DB60-Portable-Double-Burner/dp/B000I16B18/ref=pd_sim_k_1

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  5:24:04 PM  Show Profile
Bertha, that's why I'm looking for another alternative...

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  6:37:48 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, Check the BTU's or amps or whatever it is that tells you how hot it gets compared to a stove burner. Some don't get hot enough. I tried one to boil my wool and it just would not boil a large volume of water at a rolling boil and hold it there. That is why I went with propane in the end. If you could find one powerful enough it would work I just don't want you to waste your money like I did.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  6:42:48 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, Check the BTU's or amps or whatever it is that tells you how hot it gets compared to a stove burner. Some don't get hot enough. I tried one to boil my wool and it just would not boil a large volume of water at a rolling boil and hold it there. That is why I went with propane in the end. If you could find one powerful enough it would work I just don't want you to waste your money like I did.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  7:37:38 PM  Show Profile
The one I looked at has 1500 watts

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  7:39:07 PM  Show Profile
And I won't be doing any huge batches... The "flood control" is annoying here. Must be a small server or something. Never seen that on a message board before...

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  8:42:46 PM  Show Profile
I have a really silly question... Can I use the propane burner on my grill (the one for cooking with pots) to do this? How do I know the BTU's? Maybe my husband will know?

My word! I am soooo excited! Before you posted, Nancy, I was trying to convince my DH to switch over to a gas stove/oven (which I have always wanted, anyway), and he said I should just use the burner on the gas grill. I looked at him with crossed eyes, and figured I'd never be able to use a pressure canner... Now, I have options!!!

THANK YOU GIRLS!!! FARMGIRLS ARE THE BEST!!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  8:51:35 PM  Show Profile
The BTU's are probably in the owner's manual, or should be online. I don't think that would probably be hot enough, as they're designed more for cooking small pans (used to have one)... and you want something to handle the weight. I'm going with electric- cheaper (for me), faster and I can work inside my kitchen. A/C and exhaust vent :)

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  9:00:38 PM  Show Profile
I would put my pressure cooker on it, minus the top, and bring it to a boil. If it holds a rolling boil it should work. You can always do a trial run with water and no jars to see if it will hold the pressure.
I'm looking forward to doing all my water bath stuff outside. The steam is enough to make the curtains drip after a full day of water bath canning!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  10:44:35 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, I have been looking for an outdoor alternative as well and have concluded that there is no electric burner that is powerful enough. Because they are 110 plugs, the highest wattage is only 1500 and that isn't enough to do a canner full of jars. A gas burner is the only alternative, I guess, however, it can't be like a turkey fryer or anything that has a high BTU (canner can explode). I ended up buying a propane outdoor camp oven with two burners and an actual oven. I figure that if it works, great - and if not, we'll just take it camping with us! We may just have to go back to the pioneer days and build a big fire!!!:-)

Below is what I read online:
"Propane burns very hot, hotter than regular indoor gas that is used in a pipeline. Also, most propane burners don't control low flames very well, unless the burner has multiple elements and multiple controls. Very few choice are out there that can give a very low flame without it blowing out due to even light breezes. A shroud of some kind would be needed to prevent the breezes from blowing into the flame area."

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19

Edited by - Okie Farm Girl on Jun 22 2011 10:47:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  11:01:04 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to try what Cmac suggested after I buy one. If it doesn't work I'll send it bake right away. Several people posted on Amazon that they're canning with them successfully... then if need be I can get a gas one. I'm trying to do it inside if possible. And it's very DRY in Boise, no dripping curtains. I always liked my glass top stove that came with the house, til now :( Oh well... I love a good experiment!

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

Hope Floats
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Texas
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  08:26:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm so jealous....I would love to do my canning outside. But with temperatures above 100 until at least September...no chance. We won't see cooler temps until November. I would love to live in an area with four seasons!
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  08:52:13 AM  Show Profile
Mary Beth- Yikes! My new kitchen will have a gas range that will be propane. There is no natural gas out where I live! I need to get online quick and see if I will have problems. It will come with the nipple attachments that convert it from natural gas to propane. Surely that means it will work OK? Jeeze hope so. I saved forever to get that stove and thought I had done all the research necessary. Off to the web!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  09:03:15 AM  Show Profile
I have been inspired and am beyond excited!!!!

I have this little tiny wood stove in the basement that has 2 burner cutouts in the top of it. I'm gonna have the hubby drag it out and put it on the deck. We have enough brick to line the little nook that holds the bbq grill. There is enough room there for the little stove and it's put on the side of the house out of the wind. I could use the grill to keep the food hot while the stove is workin the canner.

There is outlets right at the corner where I could plug in a radio and a fan. If there is no wind I'll have the fan to cool me off. There are 3 big tables out there to hold all the jars as they cool or are waitin for them to be filled. I have the garden hose right at the end of the deck for emergencies and the kitchen is right inside the door on the deck.

It's such a perfect and amazing setup! I don't have to wait for windy and rainy days to keep the kitchen cool enough to tollerate anymore!

I love all the great ideas that come from this website and you amazing ladies!!!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  09:07:11 AM  Show Profile
Just checked the web and my new stove should be just fine. Whew!
Connie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Outdoor Canning Experiences? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page