nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  10:10:45 AM  Show Profile
Natesgirl, I wish I had that as an option! Smells better than propane! Although, if I can do this inside, I have A/C for those 100+ degree days/weeks!

Be the change...

Edited by - nancypo on Jun 23 2011 10:11:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  10:34:20 AM  Show Profile
Propane can be stinky. I learned about that when i lived in the old farmhouse on our property. It can leave an oily residue on everything too. What I found out was this only happens if the appliance ( Stove, HVAC unit etc) is not burning the propane efficiently. We had to have our HVAC unit adjusted and cleaned to solve the problem. After that it was fine. No smell and better yet no residue. That was a mess. All the walls and ceilings had to be scrubbed before we could paint. Just nasty!
Angela that sounds like a perfect setup. We have enough blow down wood around here to can all summer! Wish I could send it to you. Looks like our fire pit will get a lot of use this fall.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  11:31:08 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I wish I could get something better to can on outside but all I have is this propane turkey burner. I will be making a shield so I can maximize the propane use and shield it so it can be constant, although wind usually isn't a problem in the summer/fall. Mainly that is a winter/spring problem, but you never know! I am considering making myself a complete outdoor "kitchen" next to my garden (we have a perfect place for it where we used to store wood, it's open on 3 sides!) and I mean it is only a few feet from my garden! I could do everything outside and not bring any mess into my non air conditioned home! I'm so glad other ladies do this outside too! Great topic Nancy! Thanks for posting!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  11:48:30 AM  Show Profile
Connie, I think they were talking about those open propane burners, not contained stoves. I am so glad that yours will be ok!! Whew. I have figured out, when in question, call the extension office! They don't know everything, but they can steer you in the right direction.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  11:55:02 AM  Show Profile
Mary Beth- I don't use them near as much as I should. That will change once the farm gets back up and running for sure. Starting with soil testing!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  11:20:21 AM  Show Profile
Well, I think I'm back at the idea of propane. I'm afraid the housing of the eletrical burner may melt over long periods. Here's something I found that may work, but I need to check the BTU's- http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Outdoor-Cooking/Cookers-Accessories%7C/pc/104795280/c/104754780/sc/104276880/King-Kooker-Camp-Stoves/747224.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcamping-outdoor-cooking-cookers-accessories%2F_%2FN-1100710%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104276880%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat104795280%253Bcat104754780&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104795280%3Bcat104754780%3Bcat104276880

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Outdoor Canning Experiences? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page