Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Buying a serger....????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Buying a serger....???? Next Topic  

JanO
True Blue Farmgirl

53 Posts

Jan
Washington
USA
53 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  4:54:16 PM  Show Profile
I’m seriously considering buying a new/used serger. I have an old Singer that works pretty well, but I hate it. It’s difficult to thread and although I love the way it sews, I just don’t like going through the hassle of dealing with it. I’m thinking that the newer ones should be easier to thread, and I’ll be more inclined to use it if I don’t have to fight it. Anyway, I’d love to have a Babylock, but they are really expensive and out of my price range. I’ve also looked at the Huskavana Viking online, but don’t know very much about them. Money is tight, so I have to make sure that whatever I get is worth the cost. I’ve been looking at them on Ebay, although I’m not sure if I’m comfortable with making such a purchase online.

Does anybody in here have any words of wisdom for me? What has been your experience, in purchasing such items online? What would you be looking for if you needed a new serger/overlock?

Audrey D Abbott
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Audrey
Williamsport IN
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  03:45:08 AM  Show Profile
I have an older Viking/Husqvarna serger. I like it fine, but really only use it for finishing seams on some items or I use the hem stitch for tablecloths or napkins. I wouldn't get rid of it, but I don't often use it.
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  01:00:35 AM  Show Profile
Jan,

I owned a serger when they were first becoming popular. Find for finishing seams, but most of what I needed to accomplish, including sewing knits and tricky fabrics, worked out just fine on a regular sewing machine.(I own a mid-line Viking). The serger ended up costing more with having to buy 4 cones of thread to do a project. It wasn't long before it was up for sale.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  06:43:51 AM  Show Profile
I love my serger. It's a Bernina 700D. I am a longarm quilter, and serge my quilt tops to keep them for pulling apart on the seams, neaten them up, and helps keep them square. I also make pillow cases for quilts to be kept in, and for gifts etc. and I just love mine. Have had it for abour 4 years. Serviced and cleaned once. I leave it set up on a work table so when I need it it's available. But I do keep it covered with a plastic cover. I think I have gotten my money's worth! If I found another one, I would purchase it used for a girlfriend of mine. Anyone out there have one they would like to sell reasonable?

Happy piecing, sewing, serging or whatever makes you happy! :>)

gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  06:51:49 AM  Show Profile
I asm not a fan of my serger. I do A LOT of sewing (clothing business does that, you know) and I rarely use it because its a pian and so much thread, etc. I rather use either a zig zag (gives my threadz a funkier feel) or the overlock feature on my Singer. I often use french seams for more delicate fabrics or something that I want a REALLLLLLLY super fine finish to.

"I would not interfere with any creed of yours or want to appear that I have all the cures. There is so much to know...so many things are true. The way my feet must go may not be best for you. And so I give this spark of what is light to me, to guide you through the dark, but not tell you
what you must see."
-Author Unknown

"Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth."
— Blaise Pascal

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  08:38:15 AM  Show Profile
I would like to have a serger but only for finishing seams or hemming. But before I spend the money I'm going to see if I have an overlock feature on my Singer. I know that I have zigzag. Thanks for the tip Tasha!

I choose faith not fear.

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

JanO
True Blue Farmgirl

53 Posts

Jan
Washington
USA
53 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  09:51:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the reply's. I also have an overlock feature on my machine (Bernina) and I do use it and the zig zag a lot. But, I also do a lot of sewing with fleece, spandex and light silky types of fabrics I prefer to use the serger with them. My Singer is such a pain to thread that by the time I have it ready to go I'm so frustrated that I don't want to sew anymore. If I happen to have to change colors or something it's a nightmare.

I've decided that eventually I am either going to get a BabyLock, or a Viking 910. But in the meantime, because of funds and a commitment to do a couple of projects that need to be completed soon, I bought a Brother 1064D(?) from a friend of mine at a very good price. (less then a $100.) It was her daughters, who she lost in an accident last year, and in great shape. She showed me how to use it and I believe it'll meet my immediate needs. She wanted to have it cleaned and serviced before I brought it home so I'm just waiting on that to be completed.
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  6:15:07 PM  Show Profile
Are there any of you that have a serger, and don't want it anymore, and would like to sell it for a reasonable price? I have a friend looking for a used one.

Thanks, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Martha
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Martha
Roundup Montana
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  8:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Martha a Yahoo! Message
I have a singer serger I haven't used in years, would anyone like it?

The river still runs downhill.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Buying a serger....???? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page