kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  05:28:33 AM  Show Profile
I butchered 6 meat birds yesterday and was wondering if I can throw all the innards into the compost pile. I had to cover the bucket with dirt because the flies were all over it. I think I had heard someone saying it's ok to do that. Just wanted to know for sure before I do.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  06:25:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kris- you shouldn't put animal parts in your compost because unless handled just right- it can cause some really dangerous bacteria to grow that can cause illness and even death. I remember reading about a way to compost animal parts (this includes fat!) but I remember thinking that it would be hard to do.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  06:37:32 AM  Show Profile
Kris - Alee is correct - any animal parts are a big no-no health -wise.

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  06:56:37 AM  Show Profile
hi kris, if it were me, i would dig a hole and bury it. we put a piece of plywood over the spot to keep animals from digging in. when it rots some they will stop trying to dig it up then we remove the plywood. i wish mt birds were done. happy days to you. how was the chicken dinner? sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  07:02:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Here is a link to a good article.
http://www.cleanairgardening.com/how-to-compost-meat.html

Basically you would have to compost it in a container to keep out scavangers. It's going to be smelly until fully composted so you would want it to contain the smell and the container would have to bring in oxygen to get the good bacteria going. Also it would have to get hot enough to kill off the bad bacteria- (a minimum of 130 degrees- I would feel better with the food safety zone of 165 so any salmonella or e-coli is killed). Remember- if it doesn't get that high, the fruits and veggies that come in contact with the animal compost could be contaminated.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  07:02:10 AM  Show Profile
Since I worry about bringing in predators I would burn the remains first and then the ash can be spread away from anything that you will use for food growing, animal pasturing and such. The bone meal and such will add great feed for anything growing that you will not be eating.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  07:26:11 AM  Show Profile
I also burn all reamins. It keeps the flies down and stops predeators from being so interested in our property.

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  5:27:05 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all. I thought I saw somewhere that someone did this. I just wanted to make sure. Since I already have it all in a bucket covered with dirt, I'll just bury it now. Just wanted to make sure first. I knew you girls would know.

Thanks, Alee, for the link. I will go check it out.

I have one of the chickens in a brine solution in the fridge. Can't wait to roast it tomorrow.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jun 17 2011 5:28:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  6:33:26 PM  Show Profile
I think I read Joe Salatin (Polyface farm) composts the chicken parts. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I read this or the steps he follows. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  07:25:57 AM  Show Profile
honey since you live in Georgia I wouldn't recommend composting since I know there are all type of nasty critters down there that would be on your property in a heart beat....plus if you live in an area that has really sandy soil like where we did when we lived there you will be leaching it into the soil that could get into the water areas...normally I would say bury it since the insides of a chicken have & create nasty bacteria but there I would still dig a wide pit with lots of wood & burn it to ash then cover the pit area but mark it somehow so you remember where it is so it can be used again...try to burn all the chickens in the same spot so if you do miss a bit its well contained in one area of the property only..also before you cover it again. throw a bit of garden lime in the pit after each time you use it...this will help keep any nasty bacteria that might have formed form doing so.....I have sandy soil up here where I am now but I also live on the side of a small mountain so that I can bury mine with out fear it could hurt the water system...by the time anything gets down the mountain its well filtered....just know that burning chicken parts does smell like a nice BBQ...so get the fire as hot as you can before you throw the parts in....or your neighbors & family will not be happy...:)....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  08:42:01 AM  Show Profile
Michele, where I am is North Ga. Only red clay here. I wish it was sandy. But just good old Ga. red clay. We could make pots with it. I will burn it. I have some apple wood I gave the leaves to the goats a few days ago. I can use that to get a fire going. Thanks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Composting Chicken Parts? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page