Yesterdayfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Laura at
Columbia Ky
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  2:55:27 PM  Show Profile
Hello girls!! How many of y'all have chickens? We do and I have just posted on my blog about them! :) Hope y'all will enjoy it! :) http://yesterdaysfarm.weebly.com/yesterdays-farm-blog.html

Come and see what is happening at Kentucky's Yesterday's Farm! http://yesterdaysfarm.weebly.com/

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  3:05:44 PM  Show Profile
Laura, I have chickens, 50 red sex-links for eggs, and I also raise jumbo cornish rocks for meat, usually 30 at a time...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  12:51:50 AM  Show Profile
Hello Laura...I have 28 chickens and I love them! I sell eggs to my co-workers to help pay for their feed.

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/lazyjoranch
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  09:19:13 AM  Show Profile
Laura, that kind of looks like my hubby after he's been outside for just a few minutes. Soppin' wet. So how many chicks have hatched so far? I have 14 adult Buff hens and 2 roos and 7 chicks about 2 months old. Also have 4 Americana hens and a Barred Rock. Then 6 game hens and a roo. One of the game hens has decided to try another batch of eggs. I found her in a bushel basket in the garage a few days ago. So cute. Her and her sister were both sharing a nest up on the shelf in my Christmas decorations in the milk room. I decided that I was going to put all the broody hens in a coop. They didn;t think that was a good idea and all promptly got off their nests of eggs. So she is trying again. I will leave her there til the chicks hatch then put them in the coop. The 7 Buff chicks should be old enough to go out by then. I also have 6 meat birds about ready to go in the freezer. They are waddling. They will walk a few steps and then plop down. Poor fat birds. They are so funny. I let them out in the morning and they stay right around the coop. In the evening they all follow me back and go in to eat.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  1:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Nice blog Laura! We only have 13 hens at the moment but are thinking about adding to the flock real soon!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Yesterdayfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Laura at
Columbia Ky
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  4:20:50 PM  Show Profile
Thank y'all for the nice comments! I simply love being able to share my love for the farm and, for my critters with other like minded folks. We at this time still only have the 16 little ones hatched off; but, we are counting the days until the rest hatch. Oh, my husband bought 16 baby guines. I wonder what he will bring home next.ha ha

Come and see what is happening at Kentucky's Yesterday's Farm! http://yesterdaysfarm.weebly.com/
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  5:00:24 PM  Show Profile
I love your blog Laura. We have 2 roosters and 11 hens. It's just enough for us and our extended families.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  6:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
we have about 80 chickens

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  08:13:09 AM  Show Profile
I have 3 wonderful roosters & 12 hens & 3 babies right now.....& 3 coop areas so my roosters have their own hens....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  09:38:04 AM  Show Profile
I have 1 rooster, 6 hens and 9 babies!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  11:32:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
I have 4 buff orpingtons that are 4 weeks old right now- so I guess you can say I am a 'newbie' at all things chicken! So far so good- just finished building a coop and soon they will be in their new place!

......Born again Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Yesterdayfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Laura at
Columbia Ky
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  04:49:47 AM  Show Profile
Thank y'all so much for the comments!!! Glad to see other talking about their chickens! :)

Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  08:48:54 AM  Show Profile
It was finally a sunny day here yesterday- so I moved my baby chicks' brooder outside so they could get a little sun....it was so cute, they were laying there all sprawled out and stretching their little wings! They looked like sunbathing beauties making happy little sounds! I am starting to think maybe I do not need the brooder lamp in the daytime anymore? Any thoughts? They are 4 weeks old.

......Born again Farmgirl

Edited by - plantcarazy on Jun 15 2011 08:51:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  09:59:30 AM  Show Profile
I have 6, three week old barred rock chicks...growing fast and cute as can be! (We need a chickie smilies emoticon! )

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  6:51:35 PM  Show Profile
Heading to your blog. We have chickens and a rooster for eggs, raise meat birds , and have added turkeys to the mix. Love my birds.
Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  05:28:27 AM  Show Profile
It's butcher day here today. I got the 6 meat birds in a cage last night with water. They were heavy birds too. I think I will roast one tonight for dinner. Jenna at Coldantler blog is doing a whole month of just local homegrown foods. I think I will join her here and do the same. Well, she's doing 30 days so I guess anyone could start anytime. But there are farmer's markets all over all through the week here now with all kinds of good fresh veggies. I missed yesterday's market in downtown Chattanooga. But will get the Sat. market here. And my veggies will be finally catching up with all that rain we got last night! It rained for hours!

So I am off to get the pot boiling and all my things ready. This is one job I don't really like to do but it has to be done. They are getting so big they wouldn't even go out anymore. They'd walk a few steps then plop down. So it's there time.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  06:25:18 AM  Show Profile
wow we have a lot of chicken girls here. all the chicks are so cute. a promise of good things to come. the pic of your chicks in the sun is cute. kris good luck with your butcher. when we do birds we age them in the fridge for 3 days before we eat them. otherwise they are tough. let us know how it goes for you. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  10:04:38 AM  Show Profile
Done! All 6 next door in the fridge in ice water for now. Not a bad morning's work. I am so glad that's done. So I have done 5 roos and 6 meat birds so far. That should be enough for a while. I have to take a shower now. well, after I feed Earl. It's his lunch time.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Yesterdayfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Laura at
Columbia Ky
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  6:19:02 PM  Show Profile
We have alot of chicken farmers on here!!! But That is very good!! Thank y'all for the comments!!! Chickens are very important on the farm! They give you so much! :)

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  6:31:23 PM  Show Profile
I just put 5 of the birds in the freezer. They were 3 1/2 to 5 pounds. Not too bad. I put the 6th one in a brine solution just now in the fridge til Sat. Then I will roast it. It really smells good with all the herbs.

Sherrye, these birds were only about 4 months old. So I hope they won't be as tough as that old rooster was.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  05:33:28 AM  Show Profile
And I found a broody Buff hen a few days ago. I got her off the nest but she was back on it last night. So I took her and the crate and put her in with the 7 Buff chicks. I put 10 Buff eggs under her. She was still on it last night when I checked on her. And still this morning! So in 3 weeks I hope to have some Buff chicks to sell.

And the gane hen sisters are still at it. The one in the bushel basket looks so cute sitting there. And now her sister is sitting on a nest of eggs I found yesterday. Well, I found the nest with eggs in it so I took them. Then last night noticed that the other sister is on that nest. So, here we go again. I am leaving them alone til the chicks hatch. Then take the chicks because they are game birds and I don't want any more of them. They are running all over and I can't have any more doing that right now with the garden doing so well.

Any others with broody hens?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Here chick, chick, chick Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page