walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  04:07:34 AM  Show Profile
Growing up on the west coast, fireflies were always this mystical thing. "A bug that glows? Are you kidding!!?"

But now that I live in Kentucky, and I see them every night, I'm STILL amazed like it's the first time. There's something so home-y and moody about fireflies. They're just magical!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  07:47:21 AM  Show Profile
I live in Washington County, New York, and last night on the way home from line dancing DH and I stopped on a lonely road to watch the fireflies blinking in a hay field....there were billions of them! It was very magical, as you said. We just shut the car down and I sat in my open window watching them and feeling like a kid again.

They are an amazing part of our creation.

I'm glad that you live in a place where you can see them for yourself. Have you also learned that "leaf peeping" is truly a fall tradition on this coast?? When I was in Washington state in 2009 I had a young man ask me if it was true that people went out in the fall to see the leaves when they change color. Literally, Vermont is a one big traffic jam on a nice day in autumn! Does Kentucky offer such scenery in the fall? I've only been there in the spring :-)

Carrie M

www.apronsoftheadirondacks.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147
2009 Farmgirl of the Year

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  1:47:49 PM  Show Profile
We spent last weekend at the family farm and the fireflies were amazing. All of the fields and hills looked like they were decked out for a Christmas Gala! Beautiful - what a gift
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  07:39:05 AM  Show Profile
We've seen quite a few here in Connecticut this year. Some years there are more than others. My daughter caught one in a mason jar, so cute. We let it go after supper. Used to see them when I was a kid in Texas, too.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  08:06:54 AM  Show Profile
I was at a rug hooking retreat in KY with some girls from CA. I will never forget the first night. We stayed late after supper and hooked in the meeting house. One of the CA girls opened the door a crack and then slammed it shut with a scared look on her face. She said "What is that noise?!" I went to the door, opened it and said " What noise?" Finally I realized she was talking about the night noise of the frogs and insects in the south. LOL She was worried they would jump on her from the trees! I agreed to walk her to her building and was so pleased that I did. When she saw a field of fireflies I thought she would die of ecstasy. It was so wonderful to watch an adult see them for the first time.

I was lucky enough to see the infamous synchronized fireflies of east TN when I was pack packing in the Smokeys. We were sitting around the camp fire and the rest of the world was very dark. I got up to check on our bear bags and as I walked away from the light of the fire I was surrounded by fireflies. Across the meadow on the other side of the stream were more and they blinked when the ones around me were not. It was so beautiful. It also made me a little dizzy! I could not call out to my friends I was so dumbstruck! I finally did and the talk and laughter was silenced while we all stood there in awe. I truly felt blessed to see this. Our world is amazing!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  09:09:15 AM  Show Profile
I have never seen a firefly "in person". THAT is on my bucket list.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  09:27:42 AM  Show Profile
I wish they lived long enough to send you some Jenny. If you are ever down this way give a shout and we will go on a firefly drive out in the country!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  11:24:13 AM  Show Profile
...every night I smile as I look at my yard. It is like the lil beetles are flicking their bic lighters. I even have had a few land on me during the day. Totally not what you expect them to look like

some facts on them:
http://iris.biosci.ohio-state.edu/projects/FFiles/frfact.html

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus ...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
My Etsy ...Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures ...http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  05:57:41 AM  Show Profile
I love fireflies. I have so many wonderful memories of them as a child catching them and letting them go or just watching them. Since I've moved to the metro Detroit area I rarely have seen any except in large wooded parks. I remember my girlfriend and I went for a walk on one of the trails one night and we came upon this open section that looked like a firefly convention. The fireflies were coming up off the ground in a huge mass. There was fog starting to come up also so it made it even more spectacular. It was the coolest thing we'd ever seen. This year we've actually seen quite a few fireflies in our backyard which really surprises me but is an absolute delight. I don't know how many times df has come out to see what is keeping me and I'm just watching the fireflies :O)

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  07:23:17 AM  Show Profile
my daughter who is 14, still this summer went out and caught fireflies! she wouldn't admit to her friends but it was so great to watch her and the fireflies..we have millions and millions of them!
Lori
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  08:13:46 AM  Show Profile
just a couple of nites ago i had an awesome experience with fireflies,it was about 10:30 pm and i was gonna take out the compost bucket so it wouldn't start to smell up the house. i opened up the back door and walked out and there were fireflies glowing all over the back yard the moon was that beautiful yellow color and very full and the wheat was glowing golden! it was absolutely breathtaking-an awesome way to end a long day!

farmgirl#1362 whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  05:33:45 AM  Show Profile
Haven't seen them in a few days...do they stop after mid-summer?

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  4:24:49 PM  Show Profile
This is a great reminder that we shouldn't take things for granted. I still enjoy watching fireflies...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Fireflies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page