walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  03:19:49 AM  Show Profile
I think I have what it Excema on my fingers. They're little tiny itchy blisters that once pop, are sore. I wonder if anyone has had any experience with this? I'd rather not use harsh chemicals, as this stuff only pops up once or twice during the year, but man are they yucky to deal with!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  12:08:50 PM  Show Profile
I use to get that when I had artifical nails I found out it was caused from the glue I am all natural now.

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  6:54:12 PM  Show Profile
Megan,
I think it's called Dyshidrosis. I get them too. They are worse in the summer than in the winter? That's how mine are. Everything I've read about it says they don't really know what causes it or why. I found some all naturual excema salve at my local health food store and I put that on the bumps when they flare up. It doesn't make them go away, but it does relieve the itching a bit, and the flare up seems to go down the next day.

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com
http://farmmade.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=9&p=catalog&mode=vendor&vid=66

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  07:29:12 AM  Show Profile
Hey Megan,

I recently discovered that I also have excema and a friend of mine suggested Weleda Calendula Diaper Treatment. She and her little ones both have it. One of the ingredients in the diaper cream is zinc . From different things I have read, Zinc helps along with taking an oil such as Cod Liver Oil or Evening Primrose Oil. I just started taking Zinc Supplements and Evening Primrose Oil so we'll see if that does help.

I also have some Calendula blossoms steeping in oil to use to make soap for sensitive skin. Still experimenting with the soap thing.

I hope that you get some relief and healing soon!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  1:21:51 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Sharon. I use calendula petals in my lemon verbena soap and my baby soap. It's wonderful for skin ailments, very soothing! I finally planted some this spring in my herb beds...it's coming up nicely.... and can't wait to harvest it!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  1:46:48 PM  Show Profile
I grew up with this and then sadly passed it onto to daughter. She had it so bad that the red dirt in hawaii would cause it to get infected by just going out to play. The dermatologists always tried hydrocortizone first (which i found stupid as it is so greasy it collects more dirt) But a lotion sold over the counter called Eucerin has been a wonder for her, plus it is good for your skin anyways!

Stress is a big cause of this as well as sweating and chaffeing, and dairy. Use rubber gloves when chopping anything with acid (tomatoe, citrus) She just turned 19 and it is finally under control! Good luck!

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  2:28:01 PM  Show Profile
My daughter uses comfrey salve and has cut dairy completely from her diet. As long as she stays away from the dairy- even in cream and shampoo- she does pretty well. The salve is very soothing and healing.

Thats our experience. =/

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  4:41:54 PM  Show Profile
I have had excezma all my life, I'm now 50. It only effects my hands and feet. I will get little tiny clear blisters which itch, I scratch (cant't help it)then they dry out and sometimes my skin cracks open. I have used cortizone cream with success. I use it at night and when I wear socks. It doesn't matter what time of year I'm affected. I passed it on to my daughter and granddaughters, all 4 have it. The 5 yr old has it so bad she was prescribed baths only 2 times a week. (the repeated wet and dry process makes it worse) she also told her to use cereve lotion. I have started using it and it does help, it's not greasy. I use rubber gloves (Latex makes it worse) when doing anything such as cleaning, working in the yard and cooking, etc.

I once got a staff infection on my feet as a result of the excezma, very painful. My Dr. once told me to go all natural and it did help some but didn't stop it. It is thought to be caused by allergies, and other sensitivities to chemicals. Although research has not proven this. I thought I had it under control finally and did not have any flair ups for almost 2 years and then all of a sudden there it was again and I can't figure out what I've done differently. My heart goes out to you Megan and anyone else who suffers with excezma.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  5:10:33 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, it's pretty irritating. Whether it's the dihidrosis or excema...either way it's a pain! And it makes the skin where the blister is yucky for awhile-almost pruney!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  08:56:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls - I was just reading this natural medicine book that I picked up at a yard sale last summer. It said vitamin E will work on eczema, so I tried it. Two days now and it's almost gone. I'm blown away. They recommend opening a capsule (I think they book said 200 i.u.'s) and rubbing it in, but I have Vitamin E oil in a tube, so that's what I've been using: 10,000 i.u. They also recommend taking it orally as well as a Vitamin B complex. I haven't taken anything orally, but the topical treatment is working wonders. Hope this helps a little bit! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  12:03:42 PM  Show Profile
I actually have that right now too, I found some dish soaps (which is why I only use biodegradable or homemade now) and some scented lotions make it worse or actually flare it up if it is gone. Shea butter is nice, chickweed is fabulous.

I think I am going to try the weleda diaper ointment too, sounds like it would work!

I also found out that in my family (not sure about yours) tends to run low on magnesium so if I take a cal/mag/zinc supplement then they go away. I also found that if I eat alot of mufa's I don't have to use lotion and my skin is fabulous. Since I got pregnant I've had a severe aversion to nuts so obviously my skin is awful. I started taking my Evening Primrose Oil and while in Canada they recommend it, I found that even at only 20 weeks I was getting Braxton Hicks. That is my body though. It is ok to take EPO while pregnant BUT you have to follow what your body tells you and so I am switching to Barleans High Lignan Flax seed oil while I am pregnant.

So I will continue to use topical stuff until my body catches up with the supplements I am taking. I am taking a prenatal but goodness knows you can't get all the calcium/mag and zinc from only one pill a day!

Hope you find something that works! Our bodies do change through the years so what worked a few years ago may not work now. I have figured that one out finally, haha. It pays to be flexible and just follow what your body tells you :) Good luck!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  04:28:36 AM  Show Profile
What's a mufa?

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  11:06:15 AM  Show Profile
It's short for Mono-Unsaturated Fatty Acid. Stuff like most nuts, olive oil, olives, avocados, etc. Now that I have been taking the flax seed oil (I got capsules this time!) I have noticed my skin starting to clear up although the skin on my hands will take a tad bit longer since it was worse off! The Cal/Mag/Zinc has eliminated the cramps and muscle tightness and I'm sure it is helping my skin and nails too, plus with the flax oil now it's ok I can't eat nuts for the time being! Although I can't wait to start eating nuts again! I miss my morning snack! :)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Excema? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page