n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  4:44:38 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies!
We have a nice little house in which my 3 boys (13,14 17) are living in the partially done basement. By "partially" I mean there is a painted, cement floor, a small room with a door and a drop ceiling, a bathroom. The problem had been a water issue but we have since taken care of that---to the lovely tune of $4,500 ! But now that the leak is repaired, we still have this musty odor and well, moisture of course---it is a basement :0). The ceiling in the main part of the basement is floor joists---no ceiling at all. The furnace, water heater and laundry room are down there as well. But it is a nice size and has a LOT of potential!

We have a large dehumidifier that helps a lot.

But any other ideas on how to rid it of the musty smell? There is no sheetrock that has been damaged...I never used to little "rid your basement of moisture" buckets, so does anyone know if they work? it will be about 2 years before we can really do anything big...but anything to help with moisture and musties would help !

TIA

Married to my High School sweetie for 22+ years. Stay at home mom to the amazing 4--Megs (19), Ryan(17), Josh (14), Zack (13). A born and raised Brooklyn, NY chickie girl that has been trying to figure out this country thing in PA for the past dozen years!
"The thing about family disasters is that you never have to wait long before the next one puts the previous one into perspective." ~Robert Brault
Sister # 3062

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  6:04:37 PM  Show Profile
mix a spray bottle 1/4 full of white vinegar & warm water...put it on a mister spray setting & spray in areas that are really musty smelling & it will kill any molds that are starting to form.....also put out a pint jar full of white vinegar that is in an area it can't be knocked over unlidded.... you can use the spray on the wood, cement ect but don't spray on any copper pipes....do this for a few days let set a few days then do it again for a few days let it set a few days...once the musty smell has gone keep the jar of vinegar down there to keep the smell under control but check weekly or so to make sure there is no mold growing if there is grab that spray bottle & repeat with the vinegar to kill it off.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  6:49:49 PM  Show Profile
there is also the crystal product called damp rid that if you keep tucked in a corner will absorb any moisture that creeps in, i swear this also helps with the musty scent too. (got mine at walmart)

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  05:03:16 AM  Show Profile
Another help as far as mold goes - paint walls with Kilz paint.

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  08:18:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much! I will def be trying the vinegar and maybe even adding a few damp rid buckets---I just never knew anyone that used them so I was concerned whether they work or not!

There is no mold on the walls...but most of the basement needs to be painted with dry lock---have contractors doing that sometime next month. Where the boys are is paneling---I'll be painting them simply to brighten up the basement! It gets dreary down there!

Thanks again...

Married to my High School sweetie for 22+ years. Stay at home mom to the amazing 4--Megs (19), Ryan(17), Josh (14), Zack (13). A born and raised Brooklyn, NY chickie girl that has been trying to figure out this country thing in PA for the past dozen years!
"The thing about family disasters is that you never have to wait long before the next one puts the previous one into perspective." ~Robert Brault
Sister # 3062
http://restingunderthepinetree.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  09:53:06 AM  Show Profile
For the musty smell you can use charcoal briquets. Place them in a netted bag (like a produce bag or you can use a wire mesh hanging basket) and hang them up. They should absorb the musty smell.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  07:13:31 AM  Show Profile
That's awesome, Sharon. I've also been told that about oil smells, to use charcoal. We bought some old wooden boxes with gorgeous iron dovetailing that had been in a machine shop--a furniture restorer told us to put charcoal in them for a few months and it would take out the oil smell. It did!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  8:16:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sharon---I did go ahead and buy a large tub of Damp Rid. I will be on the lookout for some sort of container for charcoal briquettes to be placed in other areas of the basement. Honestly---the humidity around here is so bad there are practically puddles on the basement floor. SO much rain!
Thanks agaiN!

Just a Brooklyn, NY gal trying to figure out this country thing after 12+ years in the woods of NE PA!
Donna
Sister # 3062
http://restingunderthepinetree.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  8:32:33 PM  Show Profile
Great ideas/ I use the vinegar alot but never heard of the charcoal idea. Will have to try that in my home.
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  07:05:44 AM  Show Profile
IF you have clover around your area, that helps too! Gather big bunches of it, tie it together, then hang it upside down from the ceiling/hooks.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  6:39:52 PM  Show Profile
My mom recently tried 2 tsp of tea tree oil to 1 cup of water in a spray bottle. Spray on any moldy/mildewy spots. Maybe try spraying that and then place charcoal around to absorb any scents.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  7:36:19 PM  Show Profile
Do you think that Tree Tea Oil and water will work on ants too, it is pretty nasty stuff

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Musty basement??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page