Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Using a wood stove Next Topic  

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  09:33:53 AM  Show Profile
I have 2 smaller wood stoves, one has two burners and the other 4. I am told they will give off nice heat which is great. I want to give the utility company as little money as possible!! My question is the animals, I worry they will jump on the stove or lie too close to it and wonder if anyone has had a problem??

Thank you so much for any advice.

Barbara

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  1:11:23 PM  Show Profile
We have a woodstove for heat here and a cookstove for heat and cooking in our cabin. Occasionally one of the cats or a rabbit will get close to the edge. It's not very warm beneath either stove. They don't get too close to a hot stove more than once. Once they realize it's warm they'll curl up to sleep in front.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  2:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
I have had a wood stove for years and we have never had any problems. both of my dogs just sleep in front of it and my cat sleeps under it but has never touched it. when we got the stove or the animal which every came first i just showed them the stove and stood there with them so i could be there it they tryed to get to close and when they figured out it was hot they never wanted to touch it. They will be fine i would just be aware of them for the first couple days.

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  2:24:14 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Robin and Valerie,

My husband and were worried that one of the pets might get injured. Knowing that many people use them and hearing how well they do for heat I wanted to use them, but not if it would put the critters in jeopardy. Our new home has 3 stories plus the basement and we are doing everything we can to winterize it. The prices keep climbing for fuel so am hoping by using the woodstoves we can cut a few corners. We have quite a bit of wood on the property so think we are good to go.

Barbara

Edited by - Duchess on Jul 18 2006 2:26:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  5:47:02 PM  Show Profile
We heat with a woodstove, and years ago our cat jumped from the mantle onto the hot stove. He didn't feel it immediately, so did get burned enough for me to take him to the vet--but quickly recovered. I've never had a cat or dog get too close by way of the floor. I guess they sense the heat and learn the easy way. Would holding a cat over the stove in order to teach him about the top being hot work the same way? Of course, I refer to holding them far enough above so as to not get hurt! Our wood supply was delivered today by-- a woman! Neat!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  6:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Thank you so much for asking Barbara! I was not worried about my pets...but when you asked I thought maybe I should be!! I am planning on having a big cookstove and maybe a few small ones for help with heat so it was wonderful to hear what those of you that have them have expierenced! Thank you all!!!

Hugz!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  10:27:06 AM  Show Profile
One funny bit of trivia on cats getting too close to a fire...I read somewhere that in the Middle Ages or so, a cat was judged on how lazy it might be by how many singe marks it had on its fur from being right in front of the fireplace and getting hit with popping cinders...if it had too many singe marks, you knew it was not a good mouser - it was taking too many union breaks and not out catching the mice! Anyhow, when I stayed with my friends who had a wood stove, my dogs (who had never experienced that before) quickly learned how to move up and move back and never had a problem. Have fun! Judy

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  2:21:38 PM  Show Profile
Judith, come to think of it, my cat who was burned was terrible at catching mice. He absolutely thought he was a LION and mice were way beneath his interest. Funny memories!

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  05:57:32 AM  Show Profile
Hello:

I have raised small dogs (Miniature Schnauzers) for 25 years and we have always used one woodburning stove to heat the entire house (about 1,700 sq ft.). Animals are very smart in that they will move back from the heat. We have never had an animal get injured from the woodburner. However; I worried about small children (mine or visiters) falling into the stove while in use so I simply purchased a puppy exercise fence and placed this around the front and sides of the woodburner (They fold into all kind shapes, squares, rectangles, etc.). They can be purchased on- line and cost about $40-$60. Great for piece of mind. My little ones did fall around the stove several times while playing and the fence kept them from getting burned. Hope this helps. By the way, 3 years ago I purchased 8 cords of wood for $400 and we will be using the last of it this winter. Very toasty!! I smile every time I pay the electric bill. (We have an all electric baseboard heat house and it's costly and you freeze with it) The downside, we have lots of dust.

Doglady

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

jorlex
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jennifer
Northwestern IL
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  2:21:13 PM  Show Profile
I love my wood stove and it does a great job at heating our house! I was surprised as to how large of a area it can heat! My dog lays by the stove in the winter months and loves it. He always keeps a distance and when I open the door to stoke the fire or add more wood, he moves. I think they have good animal instincts in knowing that this is a hot area! Enjoy that wood stove and keep a kettle of water on top for a natural humidifier! You can put cinnamon sticks and cloves it for a tasty smell in the house!
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  07:16:37 AM  Show Profile
Thank You all so much for all the good feedback, sure relieves our minds and gives us hope for nice heat. Just told Hubby that I will keep my eyes open for a couple more stoves and we can put one on each level. I have had good luck on prices of these two and they are in good shape. These are small but maybe I will luck out on a big one I could put next to kitchen and have it do double duty. I like the idea of the tea pot as my beverage of choice is tea. We have several trees down so need to start cutting them up and getting ready for the cold. Thank you so much again. Barbara
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  06:05:14 AM  Show Profile
Another vote for woodstoves, we have had dogs around woodstoves for years and from our last one (A golden Retriever) to the current one (a chihuahua) they LOVE, LOVE, LOVE lying impossibily close to the stove and never had gotten burnt or singed. Sometimes we human occupants of the house have to jockey for space around the stove to warm our own posteriors. We keep a kettle or pot of water going to add humidity to the air and it's a natural crockpot alternative, too - put dinner ingredients in a Dutch oven and let it simmer away all day...

Jo
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  06:24:28 AM  Show Profile
We have had two 'incidents' with cats vs woodstove. Once (years ago) our young cat jumped onto the griddle surface of the stove -- little burns on the paw pads -- cat recovered just fine and never jumped on the stove again. And now we have a cat with the strangest fluffy fur. Our woodstove has a glass insert in the door, and if the cat brushes her tail against the stove, it actually catches fire -- a little poof! and a big burned-hair stink! So we're trying to keep Scruffy away from the stove. The other cats have been fine -- they do love to lay close to the stove. And then when they get too hot, they stagger away and fall down and continue to nap.

This makes me look forward to cool weather!

Jo -- I'm going to try that 'crockpot alternative' -- what do you cook on stovetop all day?
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  07:55:52 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for all the great input. As to the crockpot how about spaghetti sauce, stock, pot roast, stew, soup, beans and rice. A great herb tea would would smell great.

Ok, my next question is how do I install this little beauty? We have one window that is in need of fixing so am thinking I can take out bottom half and run the pipe out there. So what do I need to put under stove, we have wood floors. What type of material do I use to surround the stove pipe? Can you tell I am a complete novice at all this,lol.

Thank you all, Barbara

Edited by - Duchess on Aug 30 2006 07:57:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  11:04:27 AM  Show Profile
Maybe we shopuld call these woodstove-pot meals? Duchess is on the right track with recipe ideas, anything that can be cooked slow (or fast) over a heat source. You could probably get very creative and try sauteing the toppings for MaryJane's Bakeovers, and maube even try making the crust in a skillet on the woodstove. We have a slate floor under our woodstove now, at our old house it was just on concrete floor in the basement.

Jo
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  11:13:24 AM  Show Profile
Barbara -- Be sure your chimney pipe is taller than the peak of the roof -- for draft -- so you don't get smoke puffing back in. Our woodstove is on a cement board base covered with 6" tiles. And it's best to have some barrier behind the stove, too, so the wall doesn't get too hot. We have a heat-shield attached to the back of the stove plus we installed it at the required clearance as if we did not have the heat-shield. Check out the stove manufacturers' specifications -- ours is Vermont Castings and we love it.

I'm ready to cook, Jo! I've done fried potato and onions. Never did any meats. Soup would be good. Oh, yum.
Go to Top of Page

Lynn B
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lynn
Derry NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  11:41:11 AM  Show Profile
I love woodstoves! They are so homey! We don't have one now (in a house we rented before we bought ours, we had one) but we do have a pellet stove. Pretty similar, but there is something about the wood stove that is more comforting! My in-laws have a HUGE woodstove that they use to cook Thanksgiving dinner in every year, it's so nice!
p.s. we've had four cats and a dog and never had a problem with the animals (or the two toddlers).

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  2:14:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh, super, will check with Home Depot and find the supplies. Not sure what kind they are will have to check, both are old but in good shape. I do have my eye out for a larger stove think that would be so cool. I have found a source for my clawfoot tub, can't wait to gut bathroom and put it in.

Thank You again my friends, love all I have found in this site
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  2:45:53 PM  Show Profile
Once in the mountains of North Carolina, in the 1970's, I visited a true mountain woman who made beautiful quilts. She had a woodstove she cooked on and another to heat the house, and then she had an electric stove in the corner! I asked her which she liked, and she told me she always cooked on the wood stove and used "that one over thar when I am in a hurry." I loved that response and have never forgotten it. God bless farmgals.

Peace
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Using a wood stove Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page