sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  07:42:57 AM  Show Profile
well i have heard the saying, our greatest weakness will or can become our greatest strength. so here we go. HELP i know some but am on a mission now. i hate that hazel has a quarter that is sick. so i am hoping to learn everything i can. i need this to heal. i am going to use todays on her today. i will warm the bag with a heating pad. then milk her 4 times a day. any opinions would be SO appreciated. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4268 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4268 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  1:05:37 PM  Show Profile
mastitis is not a good thing. I would use today as well. I use tomorrow when drying off. I (knock on wood) have not had any cases of mastitis in 6years, thank goodness. When we used it on the dairy, we milked twice a day after treating, like normal. No extra milkings. But that is what we did. Hopefully one shot will take care of the problem. I know some make a paste with cayenne pepper in it I think. Not sure on that as never have done it. Then they milk several times a day. Make sure you follow the number of hours for not using her milk. Also, if you are going to sell any animal drinking that treated milk you have to wait a certain period of time as well. It will show up in the meat.
Good Luck

Michele
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  3:10:35 PM  Show Profile
mastitus on human can cause scar tissue that can cause lack of being able to produce as much or any milk. I am usually against antibiotics, but as a human mastitus is the one thing I have called my dr to ask for a antibiotic.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  8:17:57 PM  Show Profile
yipee, i am so happy tonight. hazel who has the mastitus belongs to our friend darci. she had her husband come and figure out why my new machine would not get pressure. he figured it out. we milked hazel completely out. then i went back down and we milked out the bad quarter. papa helped. he is so strong. he worked that quarter and with the machine we got chunks out. it is swollen you are right. it feels full but it is edema. vet said a mild case. i still hate it. but with this new machine we will get it. so i used peppermint in a natural cream i make. rubbed her bag. then we sterilized the teat and infused a double dose if today. i had darci do it. its her cow. i was concerned about goofing her coow. so i am very happy to say the machine worked like a dream and hummed and pulsed along. thanks girls i will milk her out in morning and infuse her again. so i am hopeful now. yesterday was a long hard day. now today the sky is blue. so happy days here. thanks again girls sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  9:28:25 PM  Show Profile
poor cow. I hope she gets better real soon! Give her extra water too, if you can. And make sure she rest and gets lots of fluids, at least that's what humans are supposed to do. And milk as often as you can as well. Sounds like you are on the right track!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  04:37:02 AM  Show Profile
I just got over mastitis myself, so when I saw this I was like, "How come this topic is in here?" LOL! I'd say also, if you can get her to hold still long enough, put some warm compresses on it, ans try to work the blockage out.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic mastitus Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page