kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  07:50:52 AM  Show Profile
This morning while I was out watering everything and everyone, I noticed Chuck the calf made a kind of moo noise then this green stuff came out of his mouth like he was trying to throw up. I was wondering if maybe he needs wormed. I have not done a thing to him yet. And I have only ever wormed Mazie one time when she was weaned and she'll be 3 in July. Chuck will be 3 months in a few days.

So I was wondering what I need to do for this little guy. I have a guy that will castrate him when the sign is right. He said when the signs are in the knees is the best time to castrate. So I looked it up and June 17 & 18 are in the knees. So when he comes I want to worm him and whatever else I need to do to keep him healthy. I need wisdom from you ladies who raise cattle. What else should I do and what kind of wormer is best and how much to give him? I have Ivermectin.

I am going to let him stay with Mazie for as long as she will let him. He will be grass fed only as she is also.

Also, the flies are horrible! I got some more of a natural spray that I dilute with water to spray on them. But I have to do it every day. Andthey are just covered from head to toes with flies. What else can I do?

Thanks y'all so much.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jun 10 2011 7:19:40 PM

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4268 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4268 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  2:59:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris, maybe Chuck just spit out some cud? They do that sometimes.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  7:29:27 PM  Show Profile
Kris- for the flies try some apple cider vinegar in their water and een sprinkle it on feed or hay. It may not totally get rid of it but it will help. Have you thought of those fly predators?

As for his green goo, he probably just let his cud run out. I have seen this too. Do not worry. And the vinegar will worm him too!!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  7:33:05 PM  Show Profile
Aw, I forgot about the ACV in the water. I will do that in the morning. I bought a whole gallon last time I went to the store so I have plenty. But that stuff is expensive. It was $15. I need to do all the animals with this heat so bad right now. Thanks for reminding me.

And I had no idea his cud comes back up. Yuck! He's not quite 3 months old so I gues his rumen isn't developed all the way yet. And he is eating grass.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4268 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4268 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  04:30:53 AM  Show Profile
Cows can spit out cud also.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  05:11:12 AM  Show Profile
I put ACV in their water this morning. And sprayed them again. Hope it helps.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  07:38:35 AM  Show Profile
good morning my friend, the acv is a good idea. i am using a california organic approved one called pyganic. we use half the recommened dose. it is safe for dairy and slaughter with no withdrawl. i tried other products last year. this one is expensive at first. then after second dose i cut the application to half. it would be nice to have a recipe for a fly spray that worked. does your natural one work kris? we wait to vaccinate our calves. jake was here for hazel yesterday. he said wait till jasmine is older. hope this helps you some. i know more ideas will come and we will all learn. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  7:19:21 PM  Show Profile
The spray works some but I have to keep spraying them every day. I hope Chuck's not too young to be sprayed. But the flies are just so bad right now.

I was talking to a friend up the road who had just castrated some of his calves. I asked him what else they do while they are doing that and he said they give them a black leg shot. I should have asked where he got it. I guess a vet? I just have the one calf. I'll ask when I talk to him again.

Has anyone had experience with black leg in calves? I have read about it in the past but can't remember much. Just that it's really bad. So I guess I should get something for it to give him when the guy comes to castrate him.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4268 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4268 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  04:44:06 AM  Show Profile
Don'tknow anything about black leg.
There are alot of things you could vaccinate for. I don't usually give anything to the steer calves. But I don't have that many either. I have 19 beef, and building the herd size back up.
If it is a problem in your area, then I would vaccinate.

Good luck
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  06:25:59 AM  Show Profile
Michele, I think I heard sometime ago that it is a problem here. I had a little steer about 3 years ago that died of something. It was a magnesium deficiency. Oh, and at the time there was lot of a certain kind of grass that was not good for cows. There were several young calves that died that year because of that. The vet said to get him off that pasture quick and drench him with magnesium and some other things. We don't have alot of magnesium or selinium here so have to supplement. I usually give the cows and goats a loose mineral with extra magnesium. I still have not gotten them moved over to the other pasture. But Maize has been on this pasture just about all her life and she'll be 3 in July. And she is very healthy. Never had a problem from her.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Calf Questions. Black Leg? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page