Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 Making up for NO counterspace/cabinetspace!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Making up for NO counterspace/cabinetspace! Next Topic
Page: of 2

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  02:56:27 AM  Show Profile
I live in a 1900's farmhouse. That being said, I have NO counterspace/cabinetspace. I have quite a bit of cooking stuff, so I've got a storage problem like you wouldn't believe. Our basement is not finished, so I can't really store stuff down there.

Enter: The plastic table!!!!!!!

I bought this nice table for camping/outdoorstuff/farmers market. I decided to buy a really cute tablecloth and just bring it in the kitchen so I can at LEAST have some more lateral space to store stuff. I also bought one of those vertical organizing shelving units at Costco and put that in our laundry room. What a lifesaver!

Those are a few of my "solutions" until we can get money to do a kitchen makeover. What do you all do?

I actually saw a dresser turned into a kitchen table:

http://somedaycrafts.blogspot.com/2010/02/kitchen-island-from-dresser.html

And immediately thought of the extra dresser I have out in one of the storage buildings. I am SO doing this!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  03:46:14 AM  Show Profile
I have a 2 drawer wooden file cabinet with a board over it as a kitchen table in my teensy trailer kitchen-the drawers hold my dish towels,extra potholders and aprons.....

we do what we have to! the dresser idea is great!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  06:02:09 AM  Show Profile
My first apt. was in a converted 2 bedrooms in a big old brick house in Columbus, OH in what is now German Village. It had no real kitchen. I think it used to be a nursery or a big closet. We had a stove, fridge. So I used an ironing board set up with a board on top with a fabric curtain around it and that helped. Oh, the good old days-lol
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  06:10:31 AM  Show Profile
Hey Megan, our house is a cottage from the 1920's, with a 1950's add on kitchen and little to no counter or cabinet space--and not a lot of space for an island or anything of that sort.

I bought a 1920's era Chimney cabinet made by Sellers at the Burlington Antique show. I took all my pantry goods out of my cabinets and put them in there. I got rid of the bakers rack that held pots and pans and the microwave, because it took up too much space. I got RID of a lot of stuff that I simply don't use and wow, that gave me some much needed cabinet space. I bought a suspended pot wrack for the ceiling and hang all my pots and pans on that, freeing up valuable space in the cabinet. I bought a plate wrack to hang on the wall from Plow and Hearth and that holds all my everyday plates, bowls and salad plates, freeing up another cabinet to spread other things out.

Next, is getting a basket hook from Plow and Hearth to hang all my baskets that I use, but are taking up space on top of the fridge, also making a much smaller space look cluttered.

Another idea--my mil has a 1900's Queen Anne with a smaller kitchen. She bought an antique ladder and suspended it across the ceiling and that holds pots and pans, herbs, baskets, whatever, on hooks she had made from a local blacksmith.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  5:06:51 PM  Show Profile
I hand wash my dishes, and this house came with a dishwasher but not a lot of cabinet space. So I disconnected the dishwasher and use it for storing small items in. Works like a charm! :)

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com
http://farmmade.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=9&p=catalog&mode=vendor&vid=66

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  6:39:35 PM  Show Profile
ok this has been my marriage long battle! lol I lived in NYC for 10 years. Our first apartment literally had NO cabinets or counters. NONE! It was actually what would of been some one's small clothing closet, that they converted into a "kitchen" if you could call it that. I had to put our table and microwave in the hall way and we would have to walk by them between the bathroom and the kitchen side ways! lol haha The crockpot had to be used on top of the microwave! lol haha

Then we sized up to a one bedroom apartment. We had 5 cabinets, and a very short amount of counter space (a microwave took up the entire counter space! lol).

I started out with adding two stainless steel three shelf racks. I like the ones with the butcher block top. I also put a tablecloth on top to countrify it up and make it more homey. I put one in the kitchen and one in the coat closet. I put the microwave on top of the one in the kitchen. Then I added two cupboards. I bought them from Seventh Avenue but you could probably get better quality for cheaper other places, but they aren't really that bad, and were the best I could get for NYC prices. And the quality isn't horrible, I like them a lot and have had them for about 7 years now. (I added a bit each year to my kitchen making it more user friendly) next I bought the hutches that they sold to go with the cupboards, I've had them for about 2 years now. Here's the pics from Seventh Ave.
http://www.seventhavenue.com/Kitchen-and-Entertaining/Furniture/Buffets-Cabinets-and-Hutches/Grand-Impressions-Display-Hutch-And-Sideboard.pro?fpi=24255&catCd=DI (click on the pic below to see optional hutch I bought later)

Here's a actual picture of mine-my husband is a NYC boy he doesn't know how to build, I am betting with some one with more experience in the shop could of done a bit better, and this was before I bought the hutches-

That is just one, I actually bought two, I put one in the dining area of the kitchen (a small nook) and one for that area. That is my microwave also on top of the stainless steel wire rack shelf I was speaking of with the butcher block top.

This is underneath my wire shelf-

You can also see how close this is cutting it to my dining area, the little monkey you see is part of my children's high chair! lol haha

I also really like this little wall shelf, again my husband isn't the best carpenter, and we lived in a small one bedroom city apartment so not really any room for saws and such so I bought this one, however you could easily make it!

I wish I had pics but I don't! GRRR. Before this I had a old "record" cabinet is what they called it at the auction I bought it at. It was metal with a formica counter top. It was to store vinyl records in. I bought it for 3 dollars at a auction, it had two shelves (deep enough to store two shelves of vinyl records) and that worked for quite some time for me. For cheap, till I could afford the above. I just go through my rooms one by one and make lists of things I need, and then each year with the income tax, or any extra money I may come across during the year, I cross things off my list, and get them. This helps reduce the amount of unneeded things bought, since I have a detailed lists of what I want/need for my home. Really evaluate each room, and then go through catalogs and magazines to get a idea of what you may want. That's what I did. The above weren't the cupboards I actually had originally wanted from Seventh ave, they had another one I liked better but discontinued it AFTER I bought it and they ended up having to give me my money back and then I bought the above. lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kimarie91
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Kim
Tx
USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  7:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Kimarie91 a Yahoo! Message
We own a 2000 sf house that was built in the 70s and it appears that the builder forgot the kitchen. In January I took everything out of the cabinets and cut out amything I don't use regularly or for special occasions regularly. It was painful to do that but I enjoy being in there so much more now. I also bought a metal shelving cart like Heathers in the previous post. It fits just between the hotwater heater and furnace closet in the laundry room just off the kitchen. Thats my expanded pantry. :)
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  9:25:50 PM  Show Profile
That's what I did too Kim, I put every thing I didn't use daily some where else. I made a coat closet our pantry. And I put our china cabinet in the "foyer".

When I own my own home some day, I plan on having a built in cupboard, with shelving going all the way to the ceiling!

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  04:28:59 AM  Show Profile
What wonderful ideas! I wish I had stuff to throw away, but most of what I have, I use-I've got a large kitchen, just a lot of empty space.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

Mariebelle
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Marie
Clarkston WA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  07:39:32 AM  Show Profile
Heather, you've done a wonderful job "countryfying" your city apt. kitchen. It takes a lot of imagination and patientce and you've got it! That's a true country farmgirl attitude- make due with what you've got. Great job!
Our first place was the basement of a house in Vista, CA. There was no kitchen. We had a small frige, sink, stove on one 6ft. wall space and the cabinet under the sink. That was it. My husband put up a lattice partition to divide the "kitchen" space and livingroom. I hung pots and pans from hooks hung on the criss/cross of the lattice. I am proud of what we made "home". Our "entertainment" center was wood and cinderblocks. I had the best tomato plants there, have never been able to grow them the same anywhere else.

Born in the wrong era...
Marie

Born in the wrong era...
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  1:53:22 PM  Show Profile
Megan,
The house my daughter lives in has a very large kitchen. The lady that built the house took 2 long dressers and put them back to back and then put a tiled top on that over hangs on all sides by about 10-12" so you can put up a bar stool and use it for eating. It has a large pot rack hanging above it. This thing is so large they call it the flight deck.
The dressers are probably 5 or 6 feet long so its over all size is about 6 feet wide and 8 feet long. Looks really nice and lots and lots of space.

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  8:06:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Marie! ;o) I love the lattice idea.

WOW great idea Kathy on the dressers, love it! What a great reuse of them.

Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  10:35:51 AM  Show Profile
My house was built in 1977 and originally had alot of cabinet space but the previous owners remodeled and took out part of the cabinets. It makes for a nice open space but there was nowhere to put stuff. Counter space wasn't a problem once I figured out how to store my pots, pans, spices etc. Here are some pics of what I did. I salvaged a narrow metal cabinet, an old hutch and a wood stove from my grandparents house and put them to use for storage of dry goods, baking dishes, antiques, etc. I also bought an unfinished cabinet that was narrow enough to fit in the kitchen, painted it red and put my spices, cookbooks and revereware inside. On the sides of it I hung knife blocks and my cast iron pans. In the garage I have two large armoirs from IKEA that we use for pantry storage. Its a little bit random but it works for me!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - edlund33 on Jun 12 2011 10:36:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  09:32:16 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful, clever post! I love these ideas! My farmgirl sisters are definitely creative!

Heather, this is off the subject of cabinets. I see a really cute clock in one of your posted pictures. Did you make that?

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.fiberandherbscottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  7:05:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jackie. But, no I didn't make it. I can't paint like that at all. Wish I could. I bought it from Silver Dollar City, it was actually pretty good deal, it was only 25 dollars, and they added our names on it for free. Our names are on the Barn. It's a old saw blade and quite a bit bigger then what it photographs.

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  09:42:04 AM  Show Profile
The dresser idea is a great one. I've got an extra one out in the storage building that I'd like to use. It's just finding the money/time to attach a top to it!

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  10:58:46 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,
I was wondering if you have a link for the plate rack you found. Looked at P&W but couldn't find anything.
thanks,
Denise

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  03:11:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm thinking that an overhead pot rack would be a great investment. I've seen a few at Ikea. I NEVER, EVER see them on freecycle or cheapcycle, so I'll have to peruse some yardsales, I guess.

Go to Top of Page

Kimarie91
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Kim
Tx
USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  09:25:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Kimarie91 a Yahoo! Message
Maybe you could make a pot rack. I found the following link, but it seems like it might be a bit large. I figure it gets the ideas flowing though :) I also found instructions for one that reminds me of those trapeze bars on swingsets for just a single bar overhead rack.

http://www.bhg.com/kitchen/remodeling/kitchen-projects/how-to-make-a-pot-rack/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  04:54:28 AM  Show Profile
Isn't that an awesome idea?! Man, I'm sure there's got to be a door frame around here that we can use!!!!! Is that wire mesh hardware cloth, you think?

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  06:38:53 AM  Show Profile
I was thinking the same, that the door might be too big but I wonder if you could do the same with an old window frame or something. Great idea and yes it gets the creativity flowing!

farmgirl sister#43

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  06:49:16 AM  Show Profile
Denise, this is the one I have (only in an oak finish they don't have any more)
http://www.plowhearth.com/product.asp?pcode=6502

But, also, if you go to Plow and Hearths webpage and simpy type in plate rack, there are a few more options, including one that sets on a counter. I love mine, though--it's really been a wonderful addition and such a space saver.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  07:24:04 AM  Show Profile
thanks, Jonni! I'm looking for one that hangs on the wall but I'll look around.
Some of them are quite pricey.

farmgirl sister#43

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  4:22:31 PM  Show Profile
My husband said "Interesting". Which means, in husband talk, we don't have a door to use, I think. LOL

Go to Top of Page

Kimarie91
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Kim
Tx
USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  06:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Kimarie91 a Yahoo! Message
LOL! I just got back over here. Yes, husband (or Dad) talk. I bought my own small power drill and tool set yesterday for in the house small projects. I intend for my dad to teach me to use the saws, and "big" tools so I can just make what I want and not wait for someone to try to 'imagine' what I'm thinking. It's usually not the same idea :)

You know, I like the old window frame idea. Just have to make sure there's no lead paint. That would be really cute.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  3:25:48 PM  Show Profile
You go farmgirls. It's great to see all your wise thinking beginning to work for you. "Git 'er done"

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Making up for NO counterspace/cabinetspace! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page