Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 How do you get old rust off of vintage cast iron?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How do you get old rust off of vintage cast iron? Next Topic  

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  1:54:12 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, My mother has some lovely iron pieces like bacon and cookie presses that should be out on display instead of hidden in a cupboard, but they'd had a heavy layer of rust on them since I was a child. Any ideas on how to dissolve it off?

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  2:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would clean it with an SOS pad- gently and then re-season to give that gorgeous black shine!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  3:37:14 PM  Show Profile
cola, just soak and change as needed till clean, then reseason

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

buggysmum
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Shelly

110 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  3:39:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips! I have a dutch oven that has a little rust on the lid.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  5:23:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by oldbittyhen

cola, just soak and change as needed till clean, then reseason

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"

Thanks Tina! I'll put up some pictures when the presses are done.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  05:13:12 AM  Show Profile
another thing to do that we do is throw it in the wood fire that you have burning outside...you know like a small pit fire people sit around when it is cool at night so that it gets good & hot & that will loosing up the rust...leave it in there until the fire is dead & its cooled...take a wire brush (I use a copper one as it won't cut into the iron like a steal one will & scrub/scrap out as much of the black ash & rust that you can...then wash it good with hot water to see what is left...I use a copper pot scrubber for the outside with lots of salt as the abrasive then when thats clean I fill the pan full of water & add baking soda & put it on the stove to heat up to near boil then shut off & leave overnight...you have to watch it though as it may start to overflow if this happens shut off heat immediately....unless you are wanted to wash the stove top as well....I pour the water down the sink since the baking soda is good for the pipe cleaning then use the salt with a copper pot scrubber to deal with anything left over....then oil it & re cure it in the oven....michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  1:49:27 PM  Show Profile
I have a skillet with rust on it - I am going to try some of these suggestions - thank you Ladies!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  6:18:09 PM  Show Profile
One of those sand paper (Fine) sponges work well to get the final bit of rust off. Lodge actually sells something like it. It feels like an eraser with sand paper in it. Be sure to dry it really well before applying oil/grease and curing it. I dry mine in the oven pre heated to season it.
I use to clean gunky cast iron in my self cleaning oven. I'm older and wiser now, well maybe a little more cautious, and it is really hard on the stove too. Ovens and fires will not remove the rust. That takes elbow grease.
I bet the cola idea works. I've used it to clean old hinges and it did so why not a skillet?
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How do you get old rust off of vintage cast iron? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page