countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  2:24:41 PM  Show Profile
I just don't get it. I have a very sensitive customer, so I pre-washed the fabrics in hot water using no detergent-nothing except hot water. The customer told me that the aprons had a fragrance to them, which she is sensitive to. Any suggestions on what to do next time? I can't see the fabric picking up any detergent from regular laundry, since I always use an extra rinse cycle.

www.mycountryapron.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/countrynmore2

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  2:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Maybe just adding viniger to the rinse cycle? You could also yet a scoop of an oxygen cleaner, or TSP in a hot empty wash cycle to clean soap residues out of the washer before you try to wash her fabrics. Also, your dryer holds lots of fragrances, so your best bet might be to line dry these fabrics. Hope this helps. My youngest DS and DD have excema, and a lot of residues irritate their skin.
It's very sweet of you to take these extra steps for your customers.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  3:09:32 PM  Show Profile
I am VERY sensitive to fragrance too.We make our own laundry soap now but,Purex has a good an inexpensive no fragrance,no dyes etc... as do some other companies.I also use vinegar in the laundry...it will disinfect,soften and get rid of soap residue.It might help to just put a good dose of vinegar and it may help.
Just so you have an idea...if you have on even a light amount of perfume and I walk past you it will probably cause a problem.If the I walk past the end of the laundry soap aisle it can make me sick especially if they have recently put out more soap...I have to be very careful and actually smell body wash and shampoo before buying it because of this...even then I've had a problem a few times after the kids used it(using changed the scent).I'm trying right now to get everyone used to using dr Bronner's peppermint for their hair and body wash(my girls are good as long as they have conditioner...hubby is fussing some yet...lol!) I hope this helps! :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  3:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sharon- depending on what type of laundry detergent you normally use, the fabric could have actually picked some up if you washed it with other clothes. You would be amazed at how much residue the scented laundry soaps leave behind. I second using the vinegar in the rinse and possibly even let it hang dry in the sun?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  4:32:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Gals,
The first time, I used Oxyclean. I can't walk down the detergent or cleaning product isle at the store. I like the idea of using vinegar in the rinse cycle.

www.mycountryapron.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  4:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would only recommend using OxyClean to clean you washer when empty but not with the fabrics. I find it to have a very heavy scent and I had to stop using it on Nora's diapers when she was a baby because it gave her diaper rash like crazy!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  5:19:58 PM  Show Profile
I never had problem with the scent before now, but thanks for letting me know about the OxyClean.

www.mycountryapron.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  5:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think it is just each person and sometimes a sensitivity can escalate. Something she might not have had a problem with before might have recently become more of a sensitivity. My mom used to get horrible migraines from any synthetic fragrance- like flat out in pain for 3 days. It was a nightmare for her when people wore perfume. Growing up everything in our house was fragrance free. Luckily she isn't so sensitive any more but having that experience with my mom taught me a lot about how even something we think is a very light fragrance can really affect someone else. You are such a kind person to put so much thought into your customer's health and well-being!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  5:52:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks. I am sensitive, but not as sensitive as some people. I hope that the customer can get the scent out of the aprons that is bothering her. This is the first for me.

www.mycountryapron.com

Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Sensitive to Fragrance Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page