True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  5:12:22 PM  Show Profile
Brandee, I have always had success with these:

You can put one on both ends of your wire, giving you yet more tightening room. They last forever, as does wire. So, if I were you I'd have wire on my clothesline for several reasons:

1. It lasts much longer than rope.
2. You can easily wipe off the lines with a damp cloth.
3. Wire doesn't stretch as rope does.
4. You can use the non spring type clothes pins on them and I find that they stay on better than the clip kind. (But make sure the clothes pins you get will fit on the gauge of wire you chose with room to spare for your clothes.)

Hope this helps! I had a heck of a time remembering the name of the hardware.

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://farmchicatheart.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  5:13:49 PM  Show Profile
Dang......here's the link:

http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73-434-turnbuckles-galv/eye-with-turnbuckle-651660.aspx

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://farmchicatheart.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  6:26:30 PM  Show Profile
have been reading someof these. one thing I missed when we had to move into an apartment was my clothesline. I love hanging my stuff on the line, it connects me to my mother who always hung laundry out. I love the smell of fresh dried sheets. I don't hang my undies out either, our suburb wouldn't like that I'm sure, but I was so happy to hang out my first load of sheets here in our new house last week. notto mention the energy saved and wear and tear of the clothes
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  05:16:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info, but I think we found our problem. The pole my brother tamped in wasn't tamped enough so the pole moved which caused the wires to sag and the supporting wire to be lose. We retamped the one pole and my husband tightend the eye bolts and its good and tight now.

Now I just need some sun and no more rain, I can do laundry again!

Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  12:56:15 PM  Show Profile
I Want one! I am jealous! I use to use a clothesline all the time about 20 years ago, and its been on my mind lately, and then I find this forum, and its makes me really want one. I have a small retractable one, that I hang my pillows on, once a week when I change my sheets, and let them air out, but its small. Wait till hubby hears, this! Wow another project to do! Thanks for all the information on which ones, and how you like them. Farmgirls are the greatest! Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  7:55:00 PM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
I live just outside of Carson City NV and the wind is terrible. It broke to different umbrella lines, so now we have a homemade one. Nothing fancy, but it works great. I have a bag for my pins and move it along as I hang my clothes. It is my intention to make a clothes pin apron. I found the pattern in a college book from my mother in law. Have never hung my clothes out in the winter. Does it really dry with snow on the ground?

Work is love made visable... Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  07:38:11 AM  Show Profile
Boy can I relate to feeling like my house is my jail. We have lived in this house for the last 18 mos while our farmhouse is being built. ( Took so long cause it is all paid for as we went!) Anyway, this house is in the city on the main road out front. Lovely home but OMG the people! A 2 story apartment building on the left. 3 story apartments behind. A frat house just behind and to the right. Another pretty house on the right that is a business. We can't leave anything outside because of theft even though we are fenced with locking gates and a dog! The crime rate (violent crime) is sky rocketing. There was a murder 1 block behind us on Sunday night. I looked up the registered sex offender map and felt like closing all my curtains. I get the creeps when I work in the yard. I can just feel people's eyes on me. When I work out front I am always conscious about bending over. LOL No granny bloomers facing the road! I lived in the country on the farm for 8 years before we started building so this really feels like a prison.
On a brighter note it looks like we will be moving back around the middle of July! I can't wait to do the garden tour in my PJs with my first cup of coffee in the morning. If I need to scratch my--- I can with no one watching! Anyone pulling up the drive to the house will be someone I know and want to see. I told my sweetie that I'll dance around the fire pit naked next full moon! He said that won't be necessary...
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  12:58:17 PM  Show Profile
Some man in new Hampshire started a right to dry program and Lyman Orton of the vermont Country Store promotes the right to dry. If you google right to dry many web sites come up. http://www.laundrylist.org/

Holly

Go to Top of Page

Primginger
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Melissa
Wescosville pa
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  06:36:27 AM  Show Profile
I have the pully and the stuff needed but I need to find what to attach the other end too....lol..
quote:
Originally posted by homsteddinmom

mine is a pully system. I love it! i dont know how to post pics or i would.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!

Enjoying my little Homestead
www.heirloomhomestead.com
http://primgingersphotos.shutterfly.com/
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  8:55:14 PM  Show Profile
I found a complete catalog from Lehman Brothers and they do have cloth and steel clotheslines, and all necessary accessories. I love their goods and try to stop at their store whenever I'm in OH.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Clotheslines? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page