BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  09:23:49 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, I hear ya! My in-laws live in Ft. Wayne around a subdivision and I am not particularly fond of it either. I do understand about "busybodies". Oh! How I wish I lived on acreage just like Tasha Tudor. Where you have to drive wayyyyyy back in the woods to get to your destination! You are going to love being in your woods! [;D]

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.fiberandherbscottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  09:33:23 AM  Show Profile
I am so excited to put mine up...especially now that trees are safe! :) lol

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  09:53:02 AM  Show Profile
Our house in KY is in trees and can't be seen from the road. DH says we can run around buck-naked if we wish...I don't wish for that but the thought intrigues me. LOL. The only problem with living out in the sticks is the nearest hospital is 25 miles away and only grocery store other than a small IGA 5 mils from here, is 25 miles away, too. We will have to plan our shopping trips carefully...no running 1/2 mile to Krogers for milk. Oh well, it will be fun to have a shopping day once a week. We'll hit the library and maybe get a bite to eat in the coffee shop on the square. Life will be different but I'd rather watch the deer come out of the woods at dawn than see my neighbor trying to see into my windows. I actually had one lady peek into my living room window and when I opened the door and asked her what she wanted, she said..."Aren't you ever going to pick up those rose petals on your carpet? They've been there all Winter!" Instead of getting mad, I laughed and told her that the potted rose was a very expensive artificial one and the petals make it look even more real. After she marched off in a huff, then I got mad. I'm going to love the country!!!

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  10:36:00 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, neighbors can be a problem in the country too. When I first bought the farm I lived in the original farm house near the road. This farm was the homestead house of a family that now lives on land next to ours in a newer home. The patriarch of the family ( somewhere in his 70's at the time) felt like he still owned the place. I would come around the corner from the other side of the house and find him standing in my house! He usually had some corn or some such produce he wanted me to buy. But he would just come into my house and stand there till I discovered him! This family is known for being aggressive and violent if provoked and all of the men drink way to much. I had other neighbors tell me to just tolerate it cause it could be worse. Scary! They were the reason I moved off the farm after my husband died. And the reason I got a carry permit and learned to shoot a hand gun. Our creek runs through their property way back in the woods. A few years ago on a really hot summer night I smelled corn fermenting wafting on the breeze coming down the creek hollow. I went down to our creek the next morning and found corn in the creek. So yes Virginia there are still people making shine in Tennessee! He has since died and the "boys" don't come visit. I don't initiate contact and they don't either.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Moonshines
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Lorrae
Craig Co
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  11:29:08 AM  Show Profile
I have an umbrella clothsline I used a tire with a rim still in it and poured concreat in the middle so that I could move it. I have used it for 11 years and it works well except sheets are a bit harder to hang. Our local MJ chapter here in Craig CO just had a meeting revolving around laundry and hanging our laudry and ironing.

Moonshines
I love to hang a load of laundry every morning before I go out to irregate our hay. It's a great way to start your day.

Purpose in your Heart, Passion in your LIFE.
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  12:00:20 PM  Show Profile
I never thought about them not being allowed! How crazy!

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  2:06:20 PM  Show Profile

Here is my clothes line It now has new lines and a support pole. We used dog lead wire it is coated and strong. The wind is very strong out here and my lines kept breaking. The poles are fencing poles and they are ancored in the ground with cement but the way my husband did it they can be removed if we need them out for a party or whatever. Yesterday my clothes dried in a half hour. FREE ENERGY I love it. We also were not to have clothes lines but the builder broke a whole bunch of other rules so we now have a clothes line.

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  2:42:40 PM  Show Profile
Mari-lyn, Now that's a professional looking clothesline! I really like the idea of using tie-out cable for the lines too...great idea. Julie, thanks for the info about the umbrella version! I'll have to take a look next time I'm near an Ace Hardware store. I hang all of my dressy work clothes and my undies inside in the laundry room. Sometimes the only time to do laundry when you are a "9 - 5'er" is at night, which doesn't lend itself well to hanging clothes outside...but I can save the loads that don't need immediate attention for Saturday morning! If I can figure out how to post photos, I'll put up a picture of the little retractable line I use to hang up the horses' fly masks after I wash them!!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  3:37:19 PM  Show Profile
I checked my Lehman's catalog which came last week about an umbrella line but they just have regular pully system and clothes drying racks.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  08:52:45 AM  Show Profile
I find it amazing that anywhere bans clothes lines - I've no idea why? What is the thinking behind that?

I use a retractable line - I have used an umbrella kind but the washing doesn't dry as quick as the inside stuff takes a bit longer then the outside - so I prefer a single line. Mine is right next door to the bird table and lots of trees and I've never had a single bird poop problem - I agree with the idea that the flapping keeps the birds away.

Nothing is as nice as sliding into a feshly changed bed where the sheets have dried on the line and have that smell!!

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  4:22:24 PM  Show Profile
so many retractable ones have such varying reviews... may i ask those who use one where they purchased theirs? pros / cons? thanks!

FarmGirl#1737

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  2:02:05 PM  Show Profile
I was just looking at an old broken lead from my BMD and thought about what a good clothesline that would make. LOL. Great minds!!! I'm loving the pictures! Keep them coming!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  2:33:02 PM  Show Profile
I went and bought one this morning, the sunbeam 1600 upright umbrella! Tomorrow will be sinking it into the ground, would today but have a bunch of ladies lined up for pedicures this afternoon/evening. Sure they don't want me playing with their feet with dirt under the nails! :)

FarmGirl#1737

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  6:37:05 PM  Show Profile
Sue, people may be afraid of someone hanging their undergarments (gasp!) for all the world to see - which may be a factor (hm....FEAR factor? LOL) in certain areas. Which leads me to wonder (if I were inclined to do some web search) why having a clothesline is frowned upon in parts of the world. When and where did this mentality start? Possibly with the invention of the dryer? That if you still hung your laundry out it was because you were too poor to afford a dryer - hence - you were considered 'poor?' Honestly, who would fault someone who wants to save energy and money by line drying their clothes?

I mean really, I'd rather not see Big Bubba's tighty whities blowing in the wind, or Big Bertha's bras acting as small sails straining the lines - but it would take all of a few seconds of my brain space that would end with a "Cool, this woman/man hangs out their clothes!).

I used to live in an area where there were several restrictions. One being that we couldn't have a chain link fence in the front yard. Or trees planted too close to the road. Or toys in the front yard left out overnight. Etc. etc. etc. BUT, I installed a clothesline and not a word was said. How 'bout them apples?

Also, it'd be interesting to see a map of the U.S. to see which states have the most clotheslines in use. What research I have done recently indicate that clotheslines are coming back. Yeah!

Tanya, take a pic of your beauty when you get it in the ground. Bet you're excited to give it a spin!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://farmchicatheart.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  05:20:22 AM  Show Profile
In our addition (Midwest speak for sub-division), we can't have a veggie garden if it can be seen from the street, no chain link fences, no vinyl siding, no visable garbage cans except on pick-up day, no travel trailers in driveway for longer than 3 days, no cats or dogs outside unless on a leash and with the owner, no remodeling on exterior of home without permission and approval of architecture board as well as no building can be added or removed without permission...you get the picture. I REALLY won't miss this place!

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  08:12:13 AM  Show Profile
Wow Nancy! Basically they don't want any sign of human existence.

As for hanging unmentionables (underwear), on the umbrella I hang them on the smaller inside lines. Then when I hang the shirts, pants and towels, the underwear isn't visible.

Congrats Tanya! You're gonna love it. Mine is a Sunline 1600.

Today DD5 came outside and "helped" me hang clothes. They weren't hung very straight but it's o.k. because I don't want to discourage her from wanting to do it.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  09:08:24 AM  Show Profile
People don't sit on their front porches because doing so is discouraged. One family was fined because they put a porch swing up...God forbid! People don't know their neighbor's name and you can feel the chill as soon as you turn onto its streets, at least that's how I feel. You never see block parties or outside barbeques...it's a dead-zone. I'd rather be alone with my hubby in the country than alone with several homes within shouting distance. It's just unnatural.

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  2:15:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Nancy! I'd be counting the DAYS until I could get the heck outta Dodge. I just can't imagine how it will be for you when you move. Difference between night and day, or heaven and h*ll. You'll WANT to be outside!

I felt this way at our old house and was so glad to have gotten away from it. It's no fun to live in an area where your home is your jail. Where the only place on the entire property that you enjoy is being INSIDE.

Anyway, I digress. Whether it's an umbrella line, nice looking t-posts or a simple rope strung between two trees........more power to people who are bringing back the simplicity of hanging your laundry outside and getting back to nature.

FarmDream, you did a great job on your clothesline. Other than your dark hair, you look so much like Mary Jane! Enjoy!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  6:05:14 PM  Show Profile
BTW, when I hang out my undies I hang them from the crotch rather than top side seams so it's nobody can really tell what they are - and they do get dry as anything else would. I do DH's the same way. This way I don't have to worry so much about what I hang up and where. But when I lived in town I did use some discretion and hung my 'goodies' on the back line.....

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  6:16:38 PM  Show Profile
I am wondering if anybody has used the retractable clotheslines?

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  11:49:16 PM  Show Profile
oh my a porch swing, what a spooky sounding neighborhood. ICK! Would feel like the stepford wives movie or something. Did you check the board council for batteries and circuit boards? lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  12:29:11 AM  Show Profile
Karen
It is interesting the way there are such different views in the world - over here using a dryer (we call it a tumble dryer) is very much considered second best to line drying. Whilst we all own one and use them when the weather is bad and line drying difficult it is considered a sign of real lazyness to use one all the time.

They are also considered more unhygienic as they are damp and warm and therefore will encourage bacteria (no idea if this is true or not), and there is a real belief here that they wear out your clothes quicker(personally I agree with this 100%). And strangely poor people are more forgiven for using them as they may have small or no gardens.

I am aware of people here who don't peg their underwear out though - but use the dryer or dry them indoors - for the same reasons. Personally I can't see anyone being interested in my underwear!!

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  04:27:21 AM  Show Profile
Sue,
Nice to hear from someone across the pond. I have a dear friend in England and she feels the same way about tumble dryers as you do...use them if you have to but other than that, a line and pegs is the way to go. People are normally very nice and level headed in Indiana but this small pocket of control and insanity is not the norm.

Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  10:49:51 AM  Show Profile
I have this question... which is better wire or rope? And one pther thing, how do you keep the wire/rope tight?

We put eye bolts on the ends, and strung 14 gauge wire between, my husband just pulled it tight and wraped it around the wire. Now it sags. Would it be better to use 1 wire and just string it back and forth- would it keep it tighter?

His thinking is to tighten the wire with the eye bolts, just keep tightening them, but we are out of bolt, know what I mean? He's made me one before and used smooth wire like for a fence, but that was too thick for the clothes and pins. It was easier to stretch, he just used fence stretchers, but I don't think we can with this thinner wire.

So if you can figure out my rambling thoughts, help me with my problem! lol

Thanks!
Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  12:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Either way the rope will stretch and sag too. What we did when we had wire was the same as what you did but wehn we got to the end of the bolt we had to undo the wire and pull it tight again. Same with the rope we have it tied in one spot and we have to undo it and retighten it every so often/

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Clotheslines? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page