Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 A major airline charges for soldiers extra bag
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic A major airline charges for soldiers extra bag Next Topic  

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  10:45:41 AM  Show Profile
I need to vent!!@ I just saw the video on the internet about a major airline company charging each returning soldier for their extra bag which contained their weapons and items to protect themselves! This company should be removed from the list of government contractors and not receive any government contracts. What a great welcome home these soldiers received.

Dogs never judge people, they only forgive!
www.kennelcreations.com

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  11:24:32 AM  Show Profile
Tina~ I read the same article. That behavior is just shamfel!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  1:53:32 PM  Show Profile
Which airline is it? I used to work in the airline industry. Write them a letter or e-mail them that you are outraged. Believe me, it will help to get this stopped.
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6583 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6583 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  2:06:50 PM  Show Profile
I can not believe that an airlines can legally charge our soldiers who fight for our freedom and deserve everything free that they can get.
My son works for an airlines at Denver International Airport I will call him and see if he knows.
Such a shame, wish there were something we could do about this.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6583 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6583 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  2:16:22 PM  Show Profile
It is Delta Airlines and if you go to Overhead bin on the MSNBC.com, it tells you what they were originally charged as a unit and now they are changing their policy. All returning soldiers from Afghanistan etc will not be allowed 4 bags per soldier.
Here is what the news story stated"

"Delta increased its free checked baggage allotment for U.S. military traveling back from active duty after troops say they paid nearly $3,000 in excess luggage fees on a flight home from Afghanistan. KUSA's Will Ripley reports.
By Harriet Baskas, msnbc.com contributor

Delta Air Lines announced Wednesday that it will now allow active duty soldiers traveling under orders to check four bags for free when flying coach.

The carrier changed its policy after being widely criticized for charging a unit of U.S. soldiers returning from Afghanistan $2,800 in extra bag fees.

The soldiers' military orders authorize them to travel with up to four bags. But at the check-in counter at the Baltimore airport on Tuesday, they discovered that while Delta allows active duty military personnel traveling on orders to check up to four bags for free if they are traveling in first/business class, the limit is only three bags for soldiers traveling in coach.

Several of the 34 soldiers who had an extra bag were forced to pay $200 of their own money in fees in order to make their connecting flight to Atlanta. They then posted a video of their experience on YouTube, which has now been viewed more than 200,000 times. One soldier said his fourth bag was a weapons case containing "the tools that I used to protect myself and Afghan citizens while I was deployed."

Former Congressman and Iraq War veteran Patrick Murphy, D-Pa., called Delta's fee "outrageous." "Here you have these heroes who have fought for our country overseas ... to come home to the $200 charge per soldier? It’s outrageous.”
Dozens of veterans returning home from Afghanistan via a Delta flight through Baltimore were forced to spend thousands of dollars on excess baggage fees. Former Rep. Patrick Murphy, D-Pa., shares his reaction.

It's not unusual for returning soldiers to check weapons on a commercial flight if the weapons have been certified as unloaded, Joe Davis, a spokesman for the Veterans of Foreign Wars' Washington office, told the Associated Press.

"A $200 bill for extra baggage by a government-contracted airline is the worst welcome home any soldier could receive," Davis said. "We know this is a business issue and that the troops will be reimbursed if they are authorized additional baggage in their orders, but the shock of even being charged is enough to make most servicemen and women simply shake their heads and wonder who or what it is they are protecting."

In response, Delta Air Lines also apologized to the soldiers.

"First and foremost, we want you to know we’re continuing to work with the soldiers individually to make this situation right for each of them," a company spokeswoman posted on the airline's blog. "We regret that this experience caused these soldiers to feel anything but welcome on their return home. We honor their service and are grateful for the sacrifices of our military service members and their families."

So it is being taken care of and the soldiers did get an apology, hopefully this will not happen again.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  4:12:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Debbie, I called my senator as well as Delta. Both were bomb-barded with angry supporters of our military, and rightly so. At the time that I called, the company was refusing to refund their fees. I'm glad they decided that it was not worth the bad PR. Thanks for letting me vent.

Dogs never judge people, they only forgive!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6583 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6583 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  4:26:39 PM  Show Profile
That is what our forums are for, especially when our soldiers are being treated unfairly. We need to do all we can to take care of them and protect them.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  4:38:51 PM  Show Profile
Glad that was changed. That was shameful.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  4:51:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi All :) When my son returned last August from the Sandbox, he had to pay for his weapons that were checked. My jaw hit the floor, I could not believe it, then they got in late returning from where he was deployed & had so much trouble, trying to get another flight back to his post. I just could not believe it :0 He had to sleep in the airport, just playing the waiting game. :(

Blessings
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  6:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ladies- Just a friendly reminder that the forum is not really the appropriate place for political commentary- good, bad or otherwise. The forum is designed to be a refuge from the craziness of the world and while being informed and active in our country's government is DEFINITLY a farmgirl quality- it opens the door for disagreements and disharmony.

I am glad Delta changed their policy and I hope each soldier gets the additional fee refunded. I feel sad for them because I know the soldiers often travel with next to nothing in the way of available cash or credit. I once waited for a plane with a soldier returning from basic training. It was 10pm at night and he had not eaten since breakfast. I had a box of crackers in my backpack and you couldn't have met a more grateful person than him when I gave him the crackers!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic A major airline charges for soldiers extra bag Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page