Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Being pregnant - Arrival update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Being pregnant - Arrival update Next Topic
Page: of 5

Rain K
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Rain
Paonia CO
14 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  10:27:09 AM  Show Profile
Laurie,
For some reason our henhouse is not accepting a reply, so I am posting it here...I have some food I would love to drop off to your family, just let me know if this would be helpful to you, and when. All tucked into freezer, so no pressure at all.
I am so happy for all of you that your family is finally at home!
Take care,
Rain

Farmgirl #3381
The Ninth Wave
Earth Meat farms
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  08:56:31 AM  Show Profile
Yay! Congrats Laurie! Hope things continue to keep on the up and up for you and your family :D

My breast pump is worn out from my last two and I can't afford to get a better one and I heard you can rent them from the hospital? Do I just go in there and ask about renting one or are there other places to use a professional grade one? I used one from WIC for a while but I'm not on it anymore and hate the hassle of going to their appointments in the middle of winter with the kids so I'm trying to figure out how I can rent one at least for a few months until our tax returns come in and I can buy a decent one (not another cheapo). Thanks :)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  1:01:40 PM  Show Profile
Laurie, can I suggest nursing tea (mama tea) or fenugreek? Fenugreek will increase your production 72% on average in 24 hours! I usually find mine at Meijer. I also ordered it online. The tea I found at Meijer too, I think.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  1:53:30 PM  Show Profile
Krystal renting in NYC was very expensive! Like 85 dollars a month and that was when I had DD1 5 years ago! I would go ahead and go to WIC, here you only have to go every 3 months. So if you are just waiting for tax time you could/may only need to go only twice. If you are like us, we usually put the taxes in asap (usually by Feb) so we usually have our return no later then April.

That being said, you could also join Freecycle. It is controversal but personally I don't see how you would get any diseases from a used pump, as long as you used new, or VERY well sterilized parts. I've seen them asked for a few times on my freecycle lists.

The other thing I have heard but when I have asked local LC's about it they look at me like I have three heads, but I have heard this from yahoo pump mom's groups, that you can have your pump tested, and cleaned. Since you can't use it any way in the condition it's in....may be worth at least a try. Take the face plate off, use a can of air, and then a clean cloth and wipe every thing down. Put the face plate back on and see what happens. I have heard SOME places actually have a tester where they can hook your pump up and test it's working power for you, like I said, I've heard after cleaning many have been able to get theirs back up to full working condition. But, again when I brought this up to LC's they just look at me like I'm a nut. However, same said LC's also told me I wouldn't be able to EP with out a hospital grade pump, and I did for 2 1/2 years with a PISA (not symphony/hospital grade!).

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  1:59:00 PM  Show Profile
Good suggestions Megan, also lots and lots and lots of water. I've also heard oatmeal is good for production. I never was able to increase my milk by teas, oatmeal, etc etc. The only thing I ever noticed that helped was lots and lots of water. Also making sure to pump every three hours, and especially through out the night!

Also a few things I noticed in my EPing (exclusively pumping-not nursing) was that many things would give my production a hit though! A few things to watch out for and avoid-
Birth control-that really gave my supply the largest hit that I never was able to recover from.
mastitus-make sure the flanges are the right size, your bras are the right size, and again pump regularly-that's the most effective way to prevent it. Again couldn't regain full production after mastitus.
Caffine, especially soda, would give my supply a hit, usually only for that day though not forever. But, still I avoided it cause I needed all the milk I could get.
exercise-I believe it's the sweating and water thing here. You can exercise, but if you decide to, I found the best time to do so was directly after pumping that way you had the longest time before pumping again. If I exercised right before pumping forget about it, might as well skip it as I would only get drops! However if I was done at least 30 minutes to a hour before pumping and made sure to drink my water, it would be right back up by the time I needed to pump. So again I think it mainly had to do with hydration-drink drink drink!

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2011 :  09:06:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Heather. I have been taking the fenugreek with some luck on one side, not so much the other, but I've been bad about my water intake -- I know bad Laurie. Will get back on that now.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2011 :  2:55:08 PM  Show Profile
This time I was so thirsty I wanted to drink drink drink. With DD2 I wasn't thirsty or hungry so it was harder! So I do understand.

before going in to have DS I went to Weight Watchers hoping to buy one of their big water mugs they used to sell but they said they no longer sold them. Funny enough when I got to the hospital the same exact mug that WW had, but it says the name of the hospital and says the baby hospital on it was being given to all the mommies at the hospital. I asked for a second one before leaving! However, hubby loves it so much he took over the extra....now I want to figure out how to get a third! So I can have one in the dishwasher while using the other! lol haha

Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  08:31:50 AM  Show Profile
Laurie, Wow! You've been through a lot. I've been out of town with no computer access so just today read about all that's happened. I'm glad you are all home and healing now.

Love,
Kathy

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  09:23:05 AM  Show Profile
I found out I was super sensitive to peppermint oil and it would drastically affect my milk supply. Go figure my favorite lip gloss/balm is that peppermint oil stuff from bath and body. So in preparation for the new baby I put away my peppermint stuff, used up my sage and didn't buy any more. I never thought my lip balm could wreck such havoc on my milk supply. Some women aren't as sensitive to it like I am but that is just me :) Good luck Laurie! I sure wish I had this forum when I had my first two!!!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Family Matters: Previous Topic Being pregnant - Arrival update Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page