Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Being pregnant - Arrival update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Being pregnant - Arrival update Next Topic
Page: of 5

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  07:00:11 AM  Show Profile
It's a funny thing to think about being pregnant and funnier or scarier when you realize you are. Being over 40 it had been a long time since my sister or mom had been pregnant so I turned a lot to my niece for the what's next, what's to expect type questions, not to mention THE book. Not that I am in my sixth month I look back at those early days and the reading and think, that was so out of order. I know every woman is different. I'm thankful because though I was naseaus on occasion I never got sick.

But there were so many things I was being told, like the achy breasts, the growing pains, the kicks, etc, that just didn't happen until so much later. Maybe it was me, but telling me I couldn't sleep on my back because of back pain that is just now starting made for as many uncomfortable nights as not. I can still manage to sleep on my back, but not as easily. It gives me another option since I am a belly sleeper.

So when did the "symptoms" happen for you? Did you show early or late? I'm not hiding it as easily these days. Was everyone full of advice that you wished they would just stop with or look at you funny and snarl their face when you mention cloth diapering.

Share away
Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/

Edited by - Montrose Girl on Oct 13 2011 3:40:21 PM

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  09:04:55 AM  Show Profile
I cloth diapered, lol, and yes people would say yeah I bet that will last 2 days! I cloth diapered the whole time thank you very much. I don't know why people always think it's so "hard" it really is easy! I just wish it was cheaper!

That being said I'm older too, this is my fourth pregnancy. I have been having children the same time as my niece! lol In fact, my oldest niece had her first before me! haha I must say though personally pregnancy didn't lay me out like it did her. She was out of commission a lot longer then me and I was a lot older then her! lol haha I am also having children the same time as my second cousins (my cousin's children!). It's kind of funny in a way. People in my age group aren't having kids, I'm having kids at the same time as my "friends" children! hahaha The oldest cousin I have having children at the same time as me is 8 years younger then me. But, that's par for the course in my family. My grandmother had her last at 45 years old. Many of my older cousins were also in their 40's when they started having children.

One thing though is I rarely read books on it, I figured what would happen would happen, and I just go with the flow and my instincts, working so far. I'm not going to lay in a certain way in bed cause a book says to. lol haha I just lay in the bed how it's comfortable for me. haha

However, the one thing I had wished with DD1 is I had read breast feeding books and started going to LLL, I highly suggest people do that, if nothing else!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  12:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I was 34 when I had my only. She is almost seven. I ate olives like a crazy woman for three months and I hate them now. I was never sick. I enjoyed my pregnancy.

I was shocked when I had a failed induction and a c-section. But other than that it went good.

I heard all the crap about breast feeding and cloth diapers. I only breast fed for a month. I dried up because of thyroid. I used disposible just for convience. But she survived. You need to do what you think is right and laugh off all the "advise" that you get. One of the ladies in my quilt guild told me that my cat was going to steal the baby's breath.

I just didn't like the fact that everyone seems to think that your belly is public property. I didn't care for strangers touching my belly. Plus one guy said, Oh God, you must be expecting twins. I was only five months along. I am glad I didn't sock him like I was wanting too. LOL

Have a wonderful time and enjoy your wonderful bundle of joy.

God Bless

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  12:16:44 AM  Show Profile
When I was uncomfy on my belly, I started laying on my side with a pillow supporting my tummy, oh man.... I remember that position being SUCH a relief! I had my last baby 10 months ago, but even now I have the urge to do it LOL!

I really don't know what it is about people and that advice compulsion. I got everything I needed to know out of What to Expect When You're expecting and thats the only place I needed to get it from!

I had each of my 3 children in different states, so my prenatal experiences were hugely different each time. The best was the most recent. I saw a lovely chinese OB, every time I saw DR. Sun, he had a natural grin like a cartoon character. I'd like to have him again if I have another baby anytime soon.

My biggest problem was leg cramps. Charlie horses are a regular affliction with an un-pregnant me, but I have stories of the wretched agony I have endured during calf cramps. One time when my husband was managing a mall store I came to visit one afternoon while pregnant with my second. My calf muscle seized and I collapsed on the concrete floor in screaming pain, writhing around in circles all contorted while my husband pretended not to know me LOL!

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  12:01:04 PM  Show Profile
Jen, that's too funny. I started getting the leg cramps and do stretches now and they have not returned. whew. At six months, I feel big, though I'm not really. I spend more time sitting down because my belly hurts that from being too tired. Maybe they are related or Junior doesn't like all the bending from getting the garden in. Ha

Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  07:05:07 AM  Show Profile
My only is 20 years old now and I was 25 when I had her. The thing hated the most was when women would tell me their horror stories of giving birth. They would tell me the mosy awul stories and at the end smile and pat (arrghhh) my belly. Mt daughter had formula and disposable diapers and while I respect people who choose to breast feed and use cloth, I expected them to respect my choices the same way. I think every journey through pregnancy is different as is every child and their journey through childhood.

That being said - the leg cramps were pretty bad and the worst part of my pregnancy was that at 8 months couldn't fit behind the wheel of my car (lol) and DH had to drop me off at work on his way to work. I taught 3rd grade up until I had my baby - she was 3 weeks late - by then I was tired of everyone calling me and asking me if I had had the baby yet.

I love the relationship I have with my DD now but every once in a while I get a baby yearning - so I walk across the street to my neighbor's and offer to spell her from her little ones. I get my fix (lol) she gets a break and we are all happy!

Best wishes and congratulations to all of you farmgirl sisters who are expecting. I'll say a prayer for your continued health and happiness!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  09:09:18 AM  Show Profile
At the time, I hated being pregnant. Now I have days where I want to do it all again!

I had a fairly easy pregnancy from what I'm told. No morning sickness or tons of swelling. The worst part was sleeping. My bed was so uncomfortable and I couldn't lay the way I really wanted to get comfy. I ended up sleeping on the couch so that I could fit my hip bone between the cushions. I didn't sleep a full night from about 15 weeks until my son was over a year old!

Congratulations!

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  09:26:47 AM  Show Profile
I really loved being pregnant--I had my little one, now 2, when I was 36. The only symptom I ever had was being late. A lot late. Had I not checked the calendar, I could have gone on forever without taking a test--no morning sickness, no back pain, no other "text book" symptoms other than my sense of smell. It was like I was a superhero or something! I ate healthier than I've ever eaten in my life and gained only 22 lbs (now, ask me how well I've done losing that, it's another question!). The only thing that was awful was when I started to really show, I lost my balance on a friends outside steps and fell and broke my ankle. That hurt. Baby was fine, momma not so much!

I agree with another poster about the idiotic things people say. I didn't encourage a lot of conversation with strangers, but one night, I was getting ready to go on a weekend trip and stopped at Autozone to have my windshield wipers replaced. I was about 7.5 months and I couldn't really reach across the windshield, so I asked if one of the staff could help. When the guy came out, I said, "I'm sorry, I'm about 7 months pregnant and I'm just not able to reach across!" He said, "You better check with your doc, lady--you're not 7 months pregnant!" Taken aback, I assured him I was. Then he said, "well, I don't know what the H*** happened to my wife, then, because when she was 7 months along, she looked like she had eaten our entire house!" And he wasn't jovial--he was actually irritated when he said it!

I didn't have many people offering advice because, well, I was older, I think, and at that point, people sort of stay out of your business anyway.

I stopped reading books, too. They seemed to make me paranoid and I just didn't enjoy that added "worry" that came along with all the articles.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  09:27:17 AM  Show Profile
I had no morning sickness, and no swelling until the 9th month. Then I was a balloon! I think my WORST symptom was sciatica. I could've keeled over I was in so much pain! Every step killed me! Massage therapy helped, but just this week it started again-so I'm thinking this is now going to be a lifelong battle. I also had VERY sore breasts for the first trimester, but after that it was manageable. I was also able to sleep on my chest until about 6 months or so.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  10:00:48 AM  Show Profile
I wish I could have slept on my chest that long. THe sore breast lasted about three weeks and haven't really bothered me since, but our temps have warmed too. The one cool morning, they were a little sore.

My biggest issue right now is bending over, or not being able to. Junior objects, I'm ready to sleep for an hour, but there is work to do in the garden. How did you ladies manage when you got to big to bend?

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  12:38:32 PM  Show Profile
I never really did, Laurie. I don't know why...Violet was an average sized baby, but I just never really stopped doing what I normally did. Now, my friend who is due at the end of June waddles at this point, and like others, is really swollen. She complains of this very thing and well, now her husband does everything she can't.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  12:40:19 PM  Show Profile
I gave the garden a miss when I was preggers, we typically get 115 temps here in AZ, and I couldn't do it past month 6. Just too hot and too sore.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

buggysmum
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Shelly

110 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  3:52:00 PM  Show Profile
I am so happy I found this thread. I am currently trying for #2...it's been quite a journey....several heartbreaking miscarriages and fertility treatments....so happy to read about you and others having babies over 40 (which I am, too). I am doing a lot of praying these days.

Regarding advice...take it with a grain of salt...and know that you will find your own way.

When I had my first, I felt GREAT and very happy. I got very tired in the first trimester, but not too queasy....I only really remember one day that I was nauseous. My sense of smell was very off...I could hardly stand the smell of eggs, pasta, or meat cooking in the house! I started showing for real around 4 months....before that I just looked kind of bloated. By the second trimester, things eased up and I had more energy again.

Enjoy this time and don't listen to advice unless it rings true for you.

Keep us posted on how you're doing!
Shelly

Edited by - buggysmum on Jun 09 2011 3:59:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  4:18:32 PM  Show Profile
I was 38 when our 4th was born last year (and besides being called a "senior" mom by the OBGYN) things were fine.

If your back is aching try sleeping with a pillow between your knees as well as one underneath your tummy, that should help. Also getting out and walking, walking, walking is also good for your body and spirits. As for bending, that at some point becomes kneeling down instead. Also make sure you're getting your daily intake of water.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  06:24:38 AM  Show Profile
Fortunately, I haven't had the backaches. I go to the chiropractor regularly anyways and think that has helped. Lack of energy and belly pains from bending and even kneeling really are my biggest symptoms. Things ease when I stop for a while. Guess my body is telling me something...ha. It has been an experience for sure. Hubby has been great and supportive though I sleep in the other room sometimes, which I don't like, but when I can't get comfy (tried the pillow..not so great) and he's snoring it's the only way to get rest. There's another topic of discussion..snoring spouses.

AnneMarie... A senior at 38! They must think me geriatric!

Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  6:59:32 PM  Show Profile
I am glad to see so many other farmgirls pregnant, or their stories. I am just about to turn over to 34 weeks pregnant at the age of 26 with #2. I have had the hardest time sleeping, I toss and turn, and wake up with terrible pains that take up my entire front and back muscles. Last night every 20 minutes until about 4 in the morning. This pregnancy has been alright, just really bad for nausea, heartburn, charlie horses, hip pressure, cervix bouncing and just about anything else you can think of. Other than that I have a healthy baby on the way, hopefully and I can't wait for him to GET OUT!

---
Farmgirl #2951
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  9:30:59 PM  Show Profile
for the charlie horses lots of water and potassium I think helps. I have only gotten one in all 4 of my pregnancies. Ironically it was just last week. But, I think it was from sitting on my legs indian style too long, rather then the pregnancy. lol haha

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  8:07:27 PM  Show Profile
Today I had another doctor visit. They aren't lasting long at this point, but I usually leave laughing. Today the doctor and I decided that being pregnant means three things -- "peeing, eating and napping". Works for me.

Haven't had any charlie horses since I realized what was causing them. I stretch most nights and if my calves start to feel tight, I stretch again. The hardest part is remembering to not point my toes like you do in a good wake up stretch, but to raise them and stretch the calves. The chiropractor also really worked on my legs today. That's the first time he's had to use that funny punch more than twice.

Go to Top of Page

buggysmum
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Shelly

110 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  9:57:00 PM  Show Profile
Laurie, I am SO happy you are leaving the doctor's office laughing! I love the "three things" protocol...sounds good to me! How far are you along, if you don't mind me asking?
Shelly
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  12:18:00 PM  Show Profile
In the midst of week 25 and growing like crazy. It's amazing how the growth comes all at the end (yeah I know biology) but you go for months without really noticing other than a bit of tightening or a pants size change, then boom, your belly explodes.

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  1:59:54 PM  Show Profile
ha! I know just what you're talking about! I have a friend who is SUPER skinny, and is 25 weeks along as of yesterday-and she's just exploding! I think it's so cute. :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  11:47:17 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I have just experienced the starting of the baby boom! I finally lost all the baby weight so I was only 10 pounds away from my pre-marriage weight... Then I got pregnant with #3! I'm 20 weeks and JUST starting to show. It still looks like I'm getting chubby but just in the middle. It's strange though with this baby, it hardly moves compared to my other two and I had that pregnancy line on my belly with the other two but not this one. Plus I haven't gained any weight on my scale... My midwife isn't concerned but I sure am! I was wearing my pre pregnancy pants without any tightness until this week, I am going to have to go to the holding my pants with a hair tie until my belly is big enough for maternity pants :) I have learned so much more about pregnancy, nursing, and baby stuff with this baby compared to my other two, I really wish I had the info I have now for when I had my first two!!!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  11:26:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Isn't it funny, how you can know you're pregnant, but stay pretty much the same size, then one night you go to bed, and wake up with this belly overnight!?! It's always week 23 for me. Maternity clothes are all too big... then, I get dressed one morning,and all of a sudden, all I can get into are maternity clothes. My DH says that's when I "wake up pregnant".
Laurie, I have been pregnant 8 times, and have four beautiful children, and it wasn't until my last pregnancy when I discovered not to point my toes when stretching!! I hate bananas, but my Dr. said to eat one b4 bed, to avoid the calf cramps. All I had to do was not point my toes!
My DH and I are strongly considering a "tie-breaker". I have 2 DD's and 2 DS's. I will be 34 this year, and with my misscarriages, Dr's don't want me to try in an "advanced maternial age", which is the ripe old age of 35!! I know there is a big difference in pregnancies with age, (delivered @ age 19, 25, 29, and 31), but women have babies at all stages of life. The biggest part of a successful pregnancy is taking care of yourself, learning as you go, and having some support.
My last pregnancy was difficult, I was sick all day, the whole time. I had 3 little ones, a new litter of puppies, gestational diabetes, constant state of exaustion, and a foolish and distant husband.
All has changed here, and we have this incredibly loving and healthy family. We are planning on removing my iud before the end of the year...wish us luck!!

* I hate sleeping when pregnant. I am a tummy sleeper, so as long as I can, I lay on my belly, but tender breasts complicate it. I use a body pillow to supper my belly, and just throw a leg and ARM over it, and cuddle it! At the very end, I am always forced to sleep in our rocker/recliner, as there is no comfortable position for me at that point.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  8:34:01 PM  Show Profile
Annette one day I was looking for foods with potassium and low and behold raisins have a TON more then bananas! I mean a LOT more. And so do apricots. So if you put some in your oatmeal each morning maybe that would help.

Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  12:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Heather, I love raisins...yay!! Now oatmeal, I can't stand, pregnant or not! Lol. I can, eat, and make preserves with apricots (best with pinapple;), so I have those all the time. Even buy dried apricots in bulk. I wonder if the potassium is really my problem, then. I couldn't eat bananas, my stomach revolts(insane I love banana cream pie and banana nut bread, right?) But for lunch every day of every pregnancy I had a salad, with raisins. I had to cut back a bit on raisins and apricots, apples and cherries due to the G.D. but still, I ate them. I drink an astronomical amount of water all the time due to headaches, but when pregnant or nursing, I've been known to drink a gallon a day! Ugh. I'll just have to strive to never point my toes, and have my DH rub my calves...baby number 5...he owes me! LOL

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  07:15:14 AM  Show Profile
definitely the toes. My belly is tired today, but it was a very long day in a car and then the back seat of a truck. not enough room to slouch down to relieve the strain. My legs cramped a little last night, but did a stretch and it went away. Just part of the fun. I have to remember to stretch before going to bed. I think that helps. Today will be less of a car day, thank goodness so junior will have time to recover.

Annette, if you are "advanced maternial age" I'm ancient at 44. I knew from the beginning everything was fine, but everyone around me was freaking out a bit, until I went off to the specialist and he told me to go away. In a humorous way that meant all way good. I think mental is a big part of this and rest. I slept in til 7:30 and loved every minute of it. It we weren't meeting in an hour I'd have stayed in bed. ha.

Take care of yourself to all of you. There seem to be many of us within a month of each other so we will have an influx of new farmers and farmettes soon

Laurie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Family Matters: Previous Topic Being pregnant - Arrival update Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page