traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  7:17:09 PM  Show Profile
Last year I made my own wool dryer balls out of wool that my mother-in-law had spun into yarn. I followed the directions off of a website that said to wind the balls as though you were going to knit from them. Make sure the ends were woven back through so they wouldn't unravel. Wash and dry them the first several times in a knotted panty hose leg to get them nice and felted. Well, I am having lots of trouble with these pesky balls. First of all, they did not felt up. I can still see each indiviual strand of yarn. I thought they would end up looking matted and fuzzy sort of like a tennis ball. Not. So now I have the problem of unraveling in the wash. Like a kitten from the netherworld. I just got done actually boiling them in a pot of water for about a half hour. They are draining now, but they still look the same.

Any suggestions?

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour

Yesterdayfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Laura at
Columbia Ky
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  05:04:29 AM  Show Profile
Hello Loyce! :) Having trouble with your dryer ball??? It might be the wool. Some wools do not felt like other wools. Also wool felts better when it has not been spunned. Just get some wool and get it wet and make it into a ball, then put in the panty hose to wash. It might also to help to poke it with fleting needles. Wool also need cold and hot agitation in water to felt. Hope this helps. :)

Come and see what is happening at Kentucky's Yesterday's Farm! http://yesterdaysfarm.weebly.com/
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  09:53:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Laura. After boiling the balls, I dried them with towels on High several times still in the panty-hose. (At last--a good reason for panty-hose!) A couple of them are looking more matted. Like you said, maybe it's the wool. The most matted one is a variegated natural cream and brown.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  12:27:10 PM  Show Profile
My homemade dryer balls don't look as matted as you are saying, I can still see most of the strings BUT they are well stuck together and haven't unraveled in the least. I've been very happy with them! So maybe yours will be ok? The problem is I need more and need to make them bigger and wool yarn is EXPENSIVE! I would love to try needle felting them but don't have a good local source for roving. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  1:16:11 PM  Show Profile
I just got some yarn to make more :)! Had some 40% off coupons for AC Moore!
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  2:23:53 PM  Show Profile
my sister accidently made some and I asked her what she was going to do with her wool balls and she did not even know about using them in the dryer. I took some home and am using them and I really like them but mine are matted really well so I really think it is the wool.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Wool dryer balls Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page