Page: of 2

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  11:59:12 AM  Show Profile
Here's something that's perfect for summer! I've just made my first batch for an ice cream social tonight. Added a little piece to my "I Have This..." category on my blog.

I have this ice cream freezer...
http://field-days.com/ice-cream-freezer

Do you still make home made ice cream???

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  12:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Fun! We don't have an ice cream social in our area, I am looking into trying to start one.
Homemade ice cream is the best! Have a great time tonight.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  3:18:30 PM  Show Profile
OK - what flavor did you make? Homemade icecream is the best! Think I'll make some this weekend!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  5:26:43 PM  Show Profile
BF and I make homemade ice cream for farm shows, county fairs, etc. with an antique hit & miss gas engine and a 5 gallon freezer. We have a great time, and it is amazing how many people have never tasted home made ice cream. My favorite is when we make it with our raw honey instead of sugar - yummy!!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  7:33:58 PM  Show Profile
Luanne, that sounds amazing!!!

Homemade ice cream is part of our heritage out here on the high plains of eastern New Mexico and West Texas. When we lived on Guam and made ice cream, I was shocked that most people had never had any, and didn't even realize you could make homemade ice cream. There's nothing like it. I would love to taste some of yours made with that honey!

Elaine, I made a new recipe today... Reese's Pieces. Made with peanut butter and heavy cream. It was delish! Putting the recipe on the blog in the morning. =)

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  8:39:36 PM  Show Profile
we love homemade ice cream but we tend to make a batch on every holiday .... why what for summer !
tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  10:09:27 PM  Show Profile
This makes me want to get an icecream maker!! Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/lazyjoranch
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  06:59:20 AM  Show Profile
I think every home should be complete with an ice cream maker!! Hope you get one.

I made this recipe for the first time yesterday. It was a hit at the ice cream social. =)

Here's the link for Reese's Pieces ice cream:
http://field-days.com/ice-cream-recipe

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  07:11:04 AM  Show Profile
I have very fond memories of sitting on a folded towel over the top of our old wooden crank ice cream maker while my Dad cranked away. I'm not sure if he really needed my weight or if it was just a way to entertain me while the ice cream was made! I was rewarded for my work by being allowed to lick the dasher while the ice cream cured in it's ice bath. Mom fussed about me dripping all over myself and Dad just smiled. Every time.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  10:04:05 AM  Show Profile
Here's how we make the honey ice cream. It makes 5 gallons at a time, so you will need to cut the recipe down depending on the size of your freezer!

5 lbs. raw honey
2 gallons plus 1 quart of whole milk
5 cans sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup pure vanilla extract

Mix together the honey, condensed milk and vanilla. Slowly add the milk until well mixed and churn. It takes about 45 minutes in our 5 gallon maker, but might not take that long with a smaller one. I don't know how to make ice cream in small amounts!

Enjoy!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  11:32:44 AM  Show Profile
Luanne!!! Talk about the land of milk and honey!!! I'm definitely going to try this recipe (in a smaller quantity). Truly, this sounds heavenly.

Now I've got to get serious about finding some raw honey.

Thank you!!

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  4:16:12 PM  Show Profile
That's funny Connie, we did the same thing. My brother and I would fight over who's turn it was to sit on the icecream freezer though. We argued our little sister was too small. What was so exciting about sitting there watching daddy churn, I will never know?
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  06:40:58 AM  Show Profile
I just saw an article in Hobby Farm Home on how to make ice cream in plastic bags. (I know...plastic again...guilt) But it will be so much fun to do with my grandkids next time they come over for the weekend. We always try something new. And, they can each make their own.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  1:56:37 PM  Show Profile
I just made my first batch TODAY! Okay, so it was sorbet, but...

It is AMAZING. I made the watermelon sorbet recipe by Alton Brown for Food Network. I added about 1/3 of the sugar (or less) and I used fresh squeezed limes to add a little tart kick rather than the lemon juice.

My DH usually makes us some, and it is okay, but not really as good as the store stuff (yuck, right?). So I researched it, and I froze my ice cream chamber first, and then chilled the ice cream (sorbet) mixture overnight before putting it into the machine. I used 1 part of rock salt to 8 parts of ice. So, anyway, when I made it today, it was DONE in 5 minutes. Then, it is recommended to pack it into a container, cover it in waxed paper and allow it to 'ripen' for 3-4 hours. Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before serving. So, that's the way we're gonna try it from now on. Before, we would just eat it straight out of the maker, and it would melt too fast. Plus, when we went to re-freeze it, it was full of ice crystals. Yuck. So, I'm trying these suggestions now.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  06:44:27 AM  Show Profile
The watermelon sorbet sounds so good... especially with that lime!

I'm determined that this summer I will try the avocado ice cream! Mary Jane put her recipe in the June/July magazine. I've always wanted to try it. Should have done it on Guam when I had two amazing avocado trees!!! Always wanted to make guacamole instead. But this summer... I'm going for it!!

(That recipe is on page 14.)

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  4:09:35 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to share a little more with you about Ice Cream Socials and our heritage. I've written a tiny bit about an Ice Cream Social that took place one hundred years ago in the county where I live in New Mexico. Can't say enough about how those pioneers amaze me!

http://field-days.com/ice-cream-social

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  6:33:20 PM  Show Profile
I made peach ice cream tonight with my son. He loved it!

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com
http://farmmade.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=9&p=catalog&mode=vendor&vid=66

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  6:40:49 PM  Show Profile
Sandy, Thak you for posting that to your blog, how delighful to read!
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  8:22:02 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for reading it. I had told my little nine year old niece the story, then more about her great-great-grandmother just a couple of days ago. I truly get choked up thinking about the lives they lived, and I don't want us to ever forget how hard they worked carving out lives here.

As for peach ice cream... YUM!!

I'm going to make Sour Cream Ice Cream tomorrow night.

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  04:04:16 AM  Show Profile
Sour cream ice cream?! That sounds interesting!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  07:51:08 AM  Show Profile
It all sounds yummy! I bought a Donvier ice cream maker which was one that MJ recommended in an early magazine. We love it. It has a liner that you keep in the freezer and when you're ready to make a batch you pull it out, place it in the maker, add ingredients, cover and spin for about 10 minutes. We pass it around because everyone wants to have a hand so each of us turns for maybe two minutes. Then we just open it up and serve. The one I have only makes about 1 1/2 quarts so we eat it all up in one sitting.

Sometimes I've just taken chocolate milk from our local creamery and pour it in. It's not as sweet as traditional ice cream but it is fast, easy, and refreshing on a summer day!

Carrie M

www.apronsoftheadirondacks.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147
2009 Farmgirl of the Year

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  1:22:28 PM  Show Profile
Aren't those gadgets wonderful! Love being able to make such delicious ice cream so easily!

Here's my recipe for the sour cream ice cream. Our family just loves it!

http://field-days.com/sour-cream-ice-cream

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  04:56:17 AM  Show Profile
So, does it taste like vanilla ice cream?

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  06:26:49 AM  Show Profile
during my Girl Scout leader days we participated in the Lorain County (ohio) Metroparks Pioneer Days festival two years making homemade ice cream in mid 1800s dresses....the girls loved it- was a lot of work and they learned even about how ice cream was made in Martha washingtons time with two diff sized bowls!!!
thx for the jog down memory lane!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  06:57:03 AM  Show Profile
Now I've got to get online and learn how Martha Washington made ice cream with the bowls!

Yes.. the ice cream is like vanilla, but incredibly rich... just a bit tart (which is a flavor I love.)

If you love home made ice cream, but like me, don't have a big sweet tooth, this recipe is for you. Everyone loves it, young and old alike!

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

I Love My Kitchen
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Betsy
Santa Clarita Ca
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  10:10:10 PM  Show Profile
We make homemade ice cream every 4th of July since I was a little girl (I'm 53 yrs old). My husband and I and my parents are still making it. Like my dad says "It only takes 1,000 cranks!" My favorite is plain old vanilla!

"There's no place like home."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Home-made Ice Cream Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page