New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Try This: Previous Topic Outdoor Living   

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2004 :  1:40:21 PM  Show Profile
I didn't know where to post this, but I was curious. Mary Jane, in the article about outdoor living you have that beautiful bed set up with the mosquito net in the plum pit. What do you do if it rains? Do you have a tarp set up over that, out of view of the camera? I would love to do this on my farm someday.

Julie

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2004 :  07:20:19 AM  Show Profile
By the way, Mary Jane doesn't have to answer the question, just anyone who knows. I was just curious and don't mean to be nosy(there's a fine line between the two LOL).

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2004 :  08:56:56 AM  Show Profile
I also wonder how to deal with the bird dodo. I think the idea is wonderful, and even have a grove of trees to consider it in, but I have alot of birds that inhabit the grove and they are quite messy visitors. Sarah, can you fill us in on the secrets of maintaining an outdoor room?
Thanks much!
Clare

Gardener, Stitcher, Appreciator of all things Natural, & Spiritual Explorer
Go to Top of Page

girl_friday
worker bee

15 Posts

Dory
Troy Idaho
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2004 :  09:57:29 AM  Show Profile
We do put tarps on the beds when there is bad weather. The tarps are in the barn, which is a stone's throw away. We don't seem to have too bad a problem with birds, but the plums love to fall and leave stains. The mosquito netting catches most of the gunk we hate. At the beginning of fall we take it all apart and soak the mosquito netting before washing.
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2004 :  10:15:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for letting us in on the secret!

Julie
Go to Top of Page

sourjayne
worker bee

67 Posts

sarah
seattle washington
67 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2004 :  10:40:16 AM  Show Profile
The other part of the secret is the plum pit is only in operation during the summer. They've gotten the table and some other things set up so far this year, but the beds aren't out yet. We have really dry summers here, so it's not a big deal to throw on tarps every once in a while. But spring here is enormously unpredictable. For example, the other day I walked outside into the sunshine and it was warm enough to take off my sweater. I slung it over a chair on the porch and forgot about it. A few hours later, Julie Bell came in and told me she brushed the snow off my sweater and brought it inside to dry off!

Sarah (sourjayne)

No artificial sweeteners added.
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Outdoor Living   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page