MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  09:29:59 AM  Show Profile
As I sit here and write this post, I am crying. After 26 years, I am an empty nester. My youngest daughter graduated from high school two weekends ago, and she has decided to take a year off before starting school. She left this morning to fly back East to live with her Dad.

This is such a HUGE change in my life, I am excited, but also very sad at the moment. How does one flip that switch from full time Mama to Mama with no chicks in the nest.

Sure hope this gets easier.

Margaret

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
Henry David Thoreau

Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  09:35:28 AM  Show Profile
I know you are lonely right now and believe me, you will be for awhile. But yes, it does get easier. And sometimes they do come back! Many times. Then there are times you want them to leave. I have 2 Dd's and they both live within 20 miles from here. I would have a fit if they ever left and moved to another state. Now that would be hard. But I understand how you feel. Try to stay busy and enjoy those good memories. There will be lots more to come. You will make it. Do something fun and enjoy the day. And maybe start some new hobbies or pick up where you left off when you had too much to do.

Hugs, Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  10:15:20 AM  Show Profile
2 years ago I became an empty nester. It was scary at first. Now I have so much to do - I was able to get more into many hobbies and volunteering that I couldn't do before. This year myDd left school in NYC and came home to go to the university here (we only live 5 minutes away). Now I have to get used to this! Anything can happen!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13645 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13645 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  10:17:49 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Margaret,
Yes, it does get easier, but will take time. Been there, done that myself. I have only one daughter and we are now CLOSE and BEST FRIENDS. She lives 400 miles away and has for 15 years! It will just take some time to go through all the changes and adjustments that will move your relationship into a different "era" and it will take on a different "beauty" and "dimension". I totally understand where you are . . . take heart! There will be new and wonderful things ahead for you in your relationship. Kris made good suggestions in learning new hobbies or restarting ones you had to put aside. It will also provide opportunities for YOU to pursue some things for YOU!!
Hang in there . . .
GOD BLESS YOU!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  11:35:20 AM  Show Profile
Right now you're doing what you're supposed to be doing...crying...it's ok, it's normal. Pretty soon you'll cry less and then get motivated to find out what new journeys life has in store for you. I've been there and sometimes years later still cry because my girls aren't babies anymore instead of 34, 29 and 28! You'll be great!! So many things will come your way, so many new opportunities. And you will always have your farmgirl sisters to rely on.
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  3:07:24 PM  Show Profile
As I've told both my 40-something daughters, there is no off-switch on a mom. You'll go through a grieving process, then you'll start realizing there's still a world out there that you have been missing. It's not easy, but it's a rite of passage. God bless you.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  3:28:18 PM  Show Profile
Margaret, I am writing this with a lump in my throat...I am sad for you. I have a 3 year old and a 7 month old and I know that even though it's a long way off, I will go trhough that too. I am praying for you. Also, thanks for the reminder that these sweet days go by too quickly...I am savoring every moment.

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  04:59:25 AM  Show Profile
Being a mother is the best and hardest job there is. It sounds like you have been very successful at it. I read over your blog, and enjoyed reading about your children. They will always come back, and will bring new people and new ways along with them, and one thing will never change.....you are their mom.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  06:59:53 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all! Your thoughts and prayers have meant so much to me!I am feeling much more brave and ready to face the next challenge that faces us, our move to Colorado in the up coming months! Each day gets easier.

Bless you all!
Margaret

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
Henry David Thoreau

Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  07:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Margaret, I'm praying for you. I have 4 lil ones, and like Cecily said, we ate yet to face this. My mother raised two girls, and when my little sister moved off on her own, things were hard for my mama. Time helps, "the sand always shifts, but its always a beautiful beach" the dynamics are different, but the core remains unchanged, you are mama. My mom got very involved with the Gideons, and I know that helped. She is my very best friend in the world. I only see her about 10-12 times a year, but I always know she is there. Rest, relax, reflect, and enjoy the new adventures life will surely bring. Big hugs to you.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic After 26 years.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page