Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Charlie horse? Prevention/Relief?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Charlie horse? Prevention/Relief? Next Topic  

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  5:00:38 PM  Show Profile

2nd time in as many days that I have been roused out of a deep sleep in excruciating pain in my calf (right leg one night and then the left leg a few days later) And, the following day I walk around limping because muscles are so sore....

Any advice on preventing these or tips for relief?

Thanks!

Melody
Farmgirl #525

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  5:19:32 PM  Show Profile
usually, when your muscles cramp it's due to lower potasimuim, try bananas but even better, kiwi fruit. the other thing you may need to take a look at your water intake, sometimes if you don't drink enough water it can cause cramps.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  7:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When that happens I have my husband give me deep tissue massages during the Charlie Horse. I had them horribly when I was pregnant with Nora and I wish I had know that deep pressure helps release the spasm because there were times where it literally damaged the muscle and I was limping for days! But seriously if some one is there that can give you a massage- it might hurt but it will feel better and help the cramp pass much more quickly!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  7:31:07 PM  Show Profile
Alee...it literally takes my breath away. I can't imagine having those on a regular basis. Although mine are getting closer and closer together for some reason. I too used to have those when pregnant. I remember one evening I lurched out of bed and yelled to Bruce "charlie horse! charlie horse!" then "wrong leg! wrong leg!!!!" LOL! They can be wicked huh? I have a feeling it might be my bp medication. I read somewhere that it can be a side effect of taking beta blockers.

Thank you Alee and Inge for the advice-'preciate it!

Mel
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  7:33:23 PM  Show Profile
Hey Melody,

I'm sorry to hear that you dealing with these. They ARE SO PAINFUL. I used to get them (on a regular basis) I increased my water intake and started taking calcium supplements. I hardly deal with them now.

I also have heard that Potassium works well. Praying for some pain free rest for you.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  08:10:36 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes cholesterol medicine causes them also. When my son played football, the athletic trainer would have him squeeze the area between the nose and upper lip to help alleviate them.
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  11:14:08 AM  Show Profile
Had a lot of those when I was pregnant years ago and still have them occasionally. If I hop out of bed and stand up with both feet flat on the floor with more pressure on charlie horse side, the pain usually goes away very quickly and without much lingering pain the next day.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  11:30:13 AM  Show Profile
highlands homeopathic has a remedy for this. it can be found in rite aid payless walgreens. rescue remedy may help some too. there are herbs to drink to help also. this way its all helping the body come into balance. i get them after climbing on and off the tractor sometimes. when i do it often. highlands remedy works. hope this helps and yes magnesium is needed for muscles to relax. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  09:09:47 AM  Show Profile
Calcium helps muscle cramping. Take a supplement if you're having issues also keep well hydrated.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

janicepearson
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Janice
Huntsville Texas
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  07:41:58 AM  Show Profile
I had to start taking vitamin D & they went away.
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  10:20:41 PM  Show Profile
I started having a few in the early hot days we were having. I started drinking more and eating more bananas. They have gone away but they hurt for a few days after.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Charlie horse? Prevention/Relief? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page