Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Help, I have onions running out of my ears!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Help, I have onions running out of my ears!! Next Topic  

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  2:05:48 PM  Show Profile
I was the recipient of more onions than I care to think about. I need your help, I will dehydrate some, and I have no where to store in a cool dark place. I live on the gulf coast with high humidity and no basement or garage. So, if anyone can give me suggestions I will forever be grateful.

I hate to waste anything and most people know this so I recieve things like this sometimes when there is extra or they don't know what to do.

Tina

Edited by - tinaberry on May 25 2011 2:09:21 PM

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  3:03:46 PM  Show Profile
you can also chop and freeze.......
i can never have too many onions at my house- i make a noodle onion pie/casserole that's yummo--and i would dehydrate LOTS of them!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  3:20:22 PM  Show Profile
Store them in containers that don't allow light in. If you can't get any, use what you have and cover the containers with material or old dish clothes. You can also put the containers into cardboard boxes and use them to close out the light. Maybe tuck the box under a bed and then post a note on the fridge reminding yourself of where the extra supply is at.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  3:27:02 PM  Show Profile
Google onion recipes, there are tons, and you can freeze cut/shredded/chopped for most recipes, and of course dry them too. French onion soup, cheddar/onion pie, etc...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  7:36:37 PM  Show Profile
I also chop and freeze.
How about some Onion Relish? I love Onion Relish. If they are Red Onions I have a wonderful recipe for Red Onion Jam I can share:)

Edited to add: You could always slice and saute and then freeze them for something quick to add to fajitas, cheese-steak sandwiches, or pizza.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on May 25 2011 7:38:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  06:06:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
The chop and freeze is SO handy! Any time you need dived onions, just open the freezer, and toss 'em in. You can make big pots of French onion soup. Eat some, freeze some, and give some to friends/neighbors/church... that uses lots of onion.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  06:22:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for the ideas. I have frozen onions in the past and they seem to be soft when I take them out of the freezer, is this me or does everyone else have this happen.

Sharon I would appreciate the recipe for the red onion jam, about half are red onions.

Margo I would also love the recipe for the casserole you mentioned.

My 29 yo daughter is coming this morning to get some of the onions so that will relieve me of a few. Tomatoes and squash are beginning to ripen so I also have these to put up. I love this time of year when all of the vegies start to ripen. I had my first tomato sandwich of the year yesterday so in my eyes summer has arrived. Thanks again for your help.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  4:53:03 PM  Show Profile
yup, i freeze mine chopped, plus they are ready for the recipe when the time comes!

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  5:10:46 PM  Show Profile
Hey Tina,

I just posted the recipe

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Simply Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

WI
USA
163 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  08:24:36 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like time to make a BIG pot of French onion soup. This will freeze well and you just need to add the toasted bread and cheese.

There is no set path, follow your heart stay the course.
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  10:38:39 AM  Show Profile
Tina: I'm at work- will post it from home- sorry!
Margo

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  2:41:41 PM  Show Profile
Wow, you are eating your tomatoes and mine aren't even in the ground yet!

Kim
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  4:34:45 PM  Show Profile
Simply Ann--The french onion soup sounds good, I've seen a number of recipes on the web and have been considering making a batch. Has anyone ever tried canning it? My freezer space is limited. I only have a small freezer and the summer is just beginning. I am trying to can this year instead of freezing. I canned tomato soup and diced tomatoes yesterday (21 pints total).

Yes, Kim we are picking tomatoes, I picked my first squash today also. I love this time of year. This is one of the advantages of living on the gulf coast, you can get and early start and can grow something almost all year. Although the summers are brutal, with the humidity being so high ALL of the time. Sometimes I dream of living somewhere cooler.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  8:53:46 PM  Show Profile
My noodle onion pie:

Thhis was a staple for my family of 5----I made this always in a doubled version -which is what I will share.....I would serve it with a salad or veggies- I even ate it for breakfast the other day!!!! My grown kids request it and I'm told my daughter in law tries but just cant do it!!!!

We prefer this made with thin noodles for texture-wider seeem to make it feel "starchy"

I use a glass 9 X 13 pan to bake.I do not use any salt or pepper as I prepare this.

Crust layer:

2 cups shredded cheddar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
Melt the butter in fry pan and then mix all together in a bowl and knead for 1 minute- put in 9 X 13 pan

Filling:

8 oz thin noodles
4 cups thinly sliced onions
1/2 cup (1 stick ) melted butter
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk (scalded)
2 cups shredded cheddar

In fry pan, melt a second stick (1/2 cup) of butter and saute onions til tender. Cook noodles and drain ; mix noodles with onions and spread across crust. Scald the milk in a saucepan and beat in eggs and cheese.. Pour egg/milk/cheese mixture over casserole and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

Let set before cutting and enjoy!

when I make this it seems like i make a mess outta the kitchen- a pan for melting butter and sauteing onions, a pan to boil noodles and a saucepan for the milk /egg mixture....but its great and each time it seems to come out a teensy bit different!

margo-aka Penny Wise

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  05:37:50 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Margo for the recipe, it sounds really good. I think I'll try it for supper tonight. I have got to use some of these onions. They are spread across my dinning room table, (it seats 10) we are having a house full on Mon for lunch and I've got to get it cleaned. Thanks again.

Tina
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Help, I have onions running out of my ears!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page