Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Horrible Jello Tempations Commercials!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Horrible Jello Tempations Commercials! Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  08:32:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh!

I do not normally watch TV. At all. We only have it for my husband and for some educational programming for my daughter. But during my recovery I have been watching MORE than I have ever really wanted to watch.

One of the new products they are promoting is "Jello Temptations" as a new "adult only" dessert. The commercials show kids that snitch the dessert get terrorized by their parents until they give back the dessert, abandoned at a train station, and have their toys thrown away.

I think the spirit of the commercials is mean, the effects on the kids are sad and I am shocked that a family faced company like Jello would portray their products in this manner. I am completely put off of the product and I had to call and complain. My daughter saw some of these commercials! I don't want her thinking that I would abandon her at the train station for eating a jello dessert! Seriously!

Anyway- if you have seen them and agree that these commercials are out of line- please call Kraft Foods and let them know- Maybe they will re-think their line of advertising.
Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
1 Kraft Court
Glenview, IL 60025
Attention: Consumer Relations Group

1-800-543-5335
9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

It makes my heart sad that people think this is an acceptable way to market to parents. I don't buy anything that I am not willing to share with my daughter dessert wise. What happened to "It is more of a joy to give than to recieve"?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  08:47:59 AM  Show Profile
agree wholeheartedly.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  08:48:02 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you, Alee. When we saw the first one, my husband and I were incredulous. I'm actually going to call now! Thank you! Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  08:56:07 AM  Show Profile
Well, I was very, very polite and calm and made my point in a very sweet, positive manner. I got a lot of "hmphs" in return, and the comment that she would be happy to pass my comments on to marketing. I was very kind and told her that I understood this was meant to be funny, but that it's not funny to market parents that way nor to market to parents in that way - it's scarey to children and it doesn't put parents in a good light at all. Unfortunately, this is the way a lot of the mainstream advertising AND programming is nowadays: parents are either incredibly mean or unbelievably stupid; either way, they are untrustworthy and selfish. Lovely sentiment. We'll see, Alee.. We'll see. I'm sure you already do, but please be sure to watch every program your daughter watches, too. You'll be shocked at some of the messages they send. Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  10:05:03 AM  Show Profile
This is the one I hate too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jFlkLDQbhM&feature=player_embedded#at=13

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  10:10:01 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Elizabeth! I've never seen that before... somedays she wishes she had eaten her kids, huh? Delightful...

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  10:10:31 AM  Show Profile
I am sure they aren't endorsing cannibalism, it just sounds disturbing. And if your kids are driving you crazy just feed them some over-processed snacks!

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  10:27:02 AM  Show Profile
Right - I kind of just overlooked the snack part given that the cheesy snack was supposed to be the focus of the commercial. I suppose if we paid attention to all the commercials out there we could pick them all apart, huh? The subtlety used in these commercials to influence attitudes and our thought processes absolutely astound me sometimes. So much just passes right over our heads. Kind of like lyrics in catchy-tuned pop songs: My son and I had a big discussion about this the other day while flipping through radio channels in the car. He commented how this one song in particular was "really good." I listened, and then I asked if he knew the content of the lyrics. He did not - he just liked the music, the beat. When I turned it up a little and had him pay attention to the lyrics, he was really appalled. It wasn't the first time we've had this conversation, of course, but it sure did remind me how important it is to keep these discussions going. :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  11:08:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am glad I am not the only one then! It really shocks me the marketing gurus put this out there.

The good thing is that if Nora is watching it- so are Doug and I. Anything that I don't like I tell her is a bad cartoon and we turn it immediatly. She has even gotten to the point where is she sees a commercial for something that we don't let her watch (Like Sponge Bob) she says "Oh- that's a bad cartoon!"

We like to watch PBS Sprout- Kipper and Calliou are some of our favorites. I also like the in-between programming that brings up counting and other educational things.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  3:13:44 PM  Show Profile
There's a Dr. Pepper commercial on now featuring a nerdy guy confronted by a biker "gang" of tough-looking older guys. The scene at the end makes it clear the bikers have given the nerd a pretty bad beating. This is supposed to be funny? Good grief. Who writes this garbage?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  3:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have decided I am going to start calling the companies whose commercials offend me. They need to know when they are alienating a demographic. I know advertisers can't make everyone happy- but I sure wish they would get away from the blatently offensive material. :( I also am going to start teach Nora that commercials are pretend and that we don't need everthing she sees on TV. Maybe one of these days I can get rid of the thing all together! Do you think my husband would notice?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  3:41:50 PM  Show Profile
That Dr Pepper commercial is EXTREMLY OFFENSIVE, how dare they put bikers in such a horrible light, it makes me sick to see that judgeing a book by its cover, my whole family are "bikers", we all ride Harleys, Farm/ranch, go to church and help our fellow neighbors, and this crap that is written and viewed on TV, is just un-called for. As far as the jello commercials, I called and asked my g/sons if they had seen these commercials, and their response was those are silly g/ma, nobody would do that to their kids, especialy my mom and dad, ( they are 5 & 7), so as far as them scareing kids, a mom and dads explanationthat its silly, or just do what alot of parents do with small ones, not turn it on ...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  3:44:43 PM  Show Profile
lol Alee, I have finally convinced my husband! I didn't think he ever would though! I think finally living in the country has helped a lot. Wednesday is when we bid fair the well to the TV! UHG!

I totally agree with you, it's not just commercials but the programming too. Most of it is just so crazy.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Horrible Jello Tempations Commercials! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page