Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 I had a tick bite and...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I had a tick bite and... Next Topic
Page: of 2

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  12:53:00 PM  Show Profile
At the same time my husband got Rocky mountain spotted fever my two dogs had lymes. I found it by watching my lab start to drag his back hips when he walked. I got him right in and tested. Both dogs had it and have fully recovered although my husband did not

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  8:40:58 PM  Show Profile
I've been wondering if I should have my little dog tested. He is acting much older than he is.
I'm glad your dogs recovered. I'm terribly sorry your husband is still suffering.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  06:54:27 AM  Show Profile
I have pulled 3 ticks off my head this year. I check morning and at night before I go to bed. I put spot on treatments for my cats and dogs. I don't like doing it but they would be covered otherwise. They are really thick this year. They still drop off the cats and manage to get on me. The ticks that I pulled off were not there when i went to bed but were there the next morning and were attached.

I wonder how long after they attach they can transmit the disease. I am worried now that maybe I could have already contracted it. I just pulled the last one off yesterday morning. I have to say its freaking me out.

I hope you get better Connie and everyone else battling this.This is so darn scary.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  09:47:36 AM  Show Profile
After my grandma had the rocky mountain spotted tick fever, she always made us keep every tick we pulled off, put in a zip lock baggie (I know I don't hardly keep them in my house any more either though) and dated on the baggie with marker. That way they can test the tick if we got sick.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  09:49:19 AM  Show Profile
BTW takes two weeks for the antibodies to show up in your blood stream enough to test, by that time it can be pretty bad you are supposed to go on antibiotics right away, I don't know what you would do with so many though! The kind of stuff I put on my cats/dogs actually kills the ticks and fleas. Doesn't just repell them. It kills any flea or tick that even comes around areas the cat/dog has laid in and such.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  5:17:55 PM  Show Profile
I have been told if you get the tick off within 24/48 hours you should be OK. I would still mark a calendar and if I had flu like symptoms aprox 10 days after I would go to the doctor and insist on Doxcycline. Run the test if you must ( It is expensive) but remember they frequently come back negative that early on. I never thought of testing the tick. I wonder how that would be done. I'll bet that would really be expensive!
I'm feeling pretty good now so I am grateful! Figured out the headaches are from a fall I took playing with my granddaughter. Got a little whiplash. ; ) Not a s young as I used to be. Thought I could out run a swing. I can't. At least not in flip flops on wet grass. Yes I was embarrassed and no I didn't make her fall. She was in one of those put their legs through swings thank God.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  03:18:03 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone been bitten and still had an itchy, hard lump YEARS after the fact? I've gone to the dermatologist and had the spot excised, and they said they found a piece of tick still left in me, but now that it was gone it should go away...I'm STILL battling this spot. Sometimes it itches so bad I could crawl out of my skin!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  09:36:58 AM  Show Profile
That sounds terrible Megan. They do leave a red itchy bump on me but they go away in a few days. I'd have it checked again. Our bodies do not like foreign protein!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  3:53:20 PM  Show Profile
We have ticks bad here also. We have picked them off the dogs so often that I switched to a natural oil mixture vs. expensive pet meds. It's safe enough for us to put on our clothes or skin also. So far the dogs have not had any ticks, nor my son (who typically gets them walking the dogs outside (we have tall grass, weeds etc. near the woods, which will be mowed down very soon too).

We plan to get at least 2 guineas, but have not found any yet. We may order them as chicks from the farm store next spring, if we can't locate any for sale around here.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  04:24:58 AM  Show Profile
Kristina, I'm pretty sure my husband's cousin has a BUNCH. If you'd be willing to drive down to KY I could get you some! :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  1:30:37 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmm....
Traveling is bit hard on us, especially raising the kids. I will suggest this to my husband, but he works full-time and also late several days a week. I'll ask him anyway.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grannyannie
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Ann
Bellevue WA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  1:48:23 PM  Show Profile
We are just in the process of moving to "tick country" (Kentucky), and it is a new phenomenon for us, since we've been living in the Pacific Northwest. We've purchased a small place (13 acres) and I'm looking at keeping chickens, but am still researching which types would be best. Sounds like I'll definitely want Guineas, but does anyone have any idea how many, or have any pertinent information this city girl should have on how to get started? Also, do you recommend using deet products? I've always felt it was too dangerous, but maybe it's worth it compared to the tick threat? So much new stuff to learn!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  2:11:29 PM  Show Profile
Ann- It is a balance of risk at best. I have been tick free since I started wearing long pants and tucking them into my socks. I use a deet product on my wrists and wear long sleeves. The most important thing is to do a body check every day. If you have an itchy spot don't just scratch, have some one look if you can't see the spot. ( Mine was on my back where I could not quite reach and could not see.) Wish I had thought to get someone to look at it right away. Thought I just had an itchy back.
Yes I get hot. But I'd rather be hot than so sick again. Some years are worse than others just like any other insect. Keep the grass mowed, have some poultry around and don't invite the deer into your yard area. They are pretty to look at but full of ticks! Use a product on your pets like frontline or something from the vet.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

Primginger
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Melissa
Wescosville pa
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  07:31:58 AM  Show Profile
Watching my 9year old now, she had one of the tiny ticks on her leg, caught it within 12 hours.....took it off and the spot seems to be going away, I have been told that those tiny ticks, the size of the pin head, are the ticks that usually carry the disease , there are two sizes according to our dr , my husband does have lyme disease and thats from getting bit by some fly on asseateague island in MD.
quote:
Originally posted by CMac

I have been told if you get the tick off within 24/48 hours you should be OK. I would still mark a calendar and if I had flu like symptoms aprox 10 days after I would go to the doctor and insist on Doxcycline. Run the test if you must ( It is expensive) but remember they frequently come back negative that early on. I never thought of testing the tick. I wonder how that would be done. I'll bet that would really be expensive!
I'm feeling pretty good now so I am grateful! Figured out the headaches are from a fall I took playing with my granddaughter. Got a little whiplash. ; ) Not a s young as I used to be. Thought I could out run a swing. I can't. At least not in flip flops on wet grass. Yes I was embarrassed and no I didn't make her fall. She was in one of those put their legs through swings thank God.
Connie

Enjoying my little Homestead
www.heirloomhomestead.com
http://primgingersphotos.shutterfly.com/
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  09:28:37 AM  Show Profile
I'll bet she will be fine. You caught it so soon. Good momma for keeping an eye out for them or teaching her to tell you!
Connie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I had a tick bite and... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page