Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  07:59:18 AM  Show Profile
Love this topic! I have bought new wool fabric and dyed it. I use Cushing dyes. It does stink like wet dog times 10. Some folks use an old crockpot plugged in outside and keep their homes smelling good. I do it on the stove in a white enameled pot bought for that purpose... "they" say your dyeing equipment shouldn't be used for food, even after washing it.

I haven't bought a lot of used fabric, but when I do, it goes right into the washing machine when I get home, washed it hot water, then cold rinse, then the dryer on delicate. That will felt it. If I don't want it felted, i.e. clean or dyed for rug hooking, I use hot water, hot rinse and hot dryer, for a bit of shrinkage which keeps it from fraying later, but not super shrunk. Wool is so much fun to work with!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  6:50:07 PM  Show Profile
OK, this is something I could really get into....I love those quilts.
Anyone have felted wool projects to post?
I would love to see them...
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  1:57:37 PM  Show Profile
I felt a lot but from crocheted or knit pieces that I have done, rather than from old sweaters.
Crochet or knit using 100% wool preferably - Less than 100% wool works if the piece is at least 50% wool, but it has to be used in tandem with the non-wool parts... ie. use one strand 100% wool with one that isn't.

Make your piece at least 1/3 larger than you want it to be once felted.

You just need lots of hot water, soap and agitation. You really don't need to use the dryer unless you want to really shrink it down, but it's a personal preference, I think. For me, using just the washer helps me regulate how much shrinkage occurs.

Also if you have a laundry bag, pillowcase or small mesh lingerie bag, it not only keeps the wool lint from getting all over your washing machine but it also keeps the machine from tearing holes in your wool piece. And if you are doing a purse or something with a strap, the strap may get caught around the hub in the center of your machine (if the piece is not in a bag.) I recommend using a bag as it really does protect both the machine and the felted piece.

Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  10:41:50 PM  Show Profile
Well, I met with the "rug lady" over the weekend. We made a nice exchange. I got a rug hooking frame, backing, binding & about $200 in rug wool-already felted & cut and she got cash and a one of a kind doll made to her specifications. We both went home happy & each made a new friend!
The wool looks (and smells) beautiful, but I have it in the deep freeze because it has been stored for about a year. The worst part is I have to wait a month to start hooking!

There were so many nice dark primitive colors-just my cup of tea! How fun to meet someone new that loves the same thing you do!

Blessings All,
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  12:04:18 AM  Show Profile
WOW Rhonda, What a good deal you got. and the wool is already cut into strips. Thats so much work to do all that. I bet your excited to get started hooking.(oh a month sorry, it will go fast) Fall would be a good time to start anyway :)
congrats
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  1:21:00 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda, that IS neat. You made out great. I bought my first frame with the wirey strips to grab the backing just recently, and with that tension, it's so much easier on my hands than the wooden hoop. I don't have a cutter, but mostly use my quilt mat and rotary cutter, as well as a pair of spring loaded fiskars-- also easy on the hands compared to regular sissors. I've been told (and read) that washed wool doesn't get moth eaten. Does anyone know differently? I use lavender sachets throughout the woolens to repel, but would be very happy to know for sure they're safe because washed.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Audrey D Abbott
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Audrey
Williamsport IN
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  3:40:55 PM  Show Profile
Ann, I was always told that washed wool won't attract moths, too, and by some ladies who had lots of wool and wool rugs.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  4:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
the problem with washed wool isthat it does not stay washed. Dirty wool does attrack moths so once you make a wool rug out of washed wool you put it on the floor and walk on it and make it dirty. So vaccum often and keep your rugs clean or you wasted your time

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 17 2006 4:51:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

rosebud74a
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Stacy
Maryland NY
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  01:08:01 AM  Show Profile  Send rosebud74a an AOL message
I hav had so much fun going to thift stores an finding wool sweaters to shrinnk. I am still in the process of cutting out the squares for the blanket that I am going to make. I have found it more difficult to find sweaters in the summer, I can't believe I am wishing for colder weather just so i can buy sweaters at the thift sores...haha. I found a couple of websites/blogs that illistrate what you can make afer you find and wash the sweaters. I have researched this alot, although I have little of the actual crafting.

http://www.betzwhite.com/blog/betzblog.html

I have more websites on my home computer that I will try to post tomorrow

Happy Felting!!

Stacy

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt, 'This Is My Story,' 1937

Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  4:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Check out this web site for some beautiful felted pieces. http://www.spiralworksfelt.com/gallery.htm I've never been that interested in felting but I have to admit this web site changed my mind.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic felting Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page