Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Help! Problems with Burt Bees Lip Balm?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Help! Problems with Burt Bees Lip Balm? Next Topic  

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  06:41:39 AM  Show Profile
So, a few weeks ago, I was using Burt Bees Lip balm because my lips were dry and chapped from my allergies. After a week or so, my lips ended up feeling swollen, dry, flaky and really painful, basically even worse than when I started. I thought it was just overuse of chapstick in general, because I know that doing so can actually make chapped lips worse.

I quit using any chapstick for a couple of weeks, and my lips went back to normal.

Well, this week, I have a cold, and am so congested that my lips are getting chapped again. Last night, I used the Burt Bees lip balm again, figuring once would not hurt as long as I did not over-use like last time.

Well, dang if I did not wake up to red, swollen, flaky painful lips. I swear my upper lip swollen so much that DH noticed right away, and he is usually the most unobservant person on the planet. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure everyone wants Angelina Joile lips, but this HURTS!

What the heck do you think is going on? Has anyone heard of a problem with Burt Bees Lip balm?

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:16:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It sounds like you are having an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients. I wouldn't recommend using it again. Have you ever had this reaction to any other chapstick? In the mean time if you don't have anything else in the house you can put coconut oil or crisco on your lips and it will protect them from your cold.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:22:27 AM  Show Profile
I wonder if the ingredients have been changed? Sometimes a product we use without problems can "all of a sudden" give us a reaction because of even a slight change. How long have you been using Burt's Bees Lip Balm? And when did you buy this last lip balm? Look at all the variables.

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  08:35:28 AM  Show Profile
Try Lypsyl. I find it to be gentler than Burts. Plus it's a lot cheaper! The best I can get though is from a family owned honey farm in my area. It's cheaper than Burts, more natural, and tastes better. It's just a 45 minute drive to get to it!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  09:07:24 AM  Show Profile
wow, I googled it and apparently I am not alone. Looks like an allergic reaction, but how do I figure out what about it is causing the reaction?

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  12:59:02 PM  Show Profile
Allergic reaction....bummer!

I use my own handcrafted lip balm that contains Pure Olive Oil, Shea butter, coconut oil, bees-wax and vitamin e. Very, very soothing and very kind to your lips!

You can purchase some at my etsy store!

www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  9:21:17 PM  Show Profile
I have a recipe for healing lip balm with almond oil, beeswax, honey and essential oils--e-mail me if you're interested in the recipe.
cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Help! Problems with Burt Bees Lip Balm? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page