MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  06:18:12 AM  Show Profile
Anyone have a good suggestion for a Dutch Oven cookbook? Maybe one with not too many ingredients like canned stuff and soup mix? I have Great Meals from Dutch Ovens, but it is very specific on which size/ type oven to use, mostly 12 inch , which is not what I have. I got a used on in great shape and re seasoned it. It seems to be a 10 1/2 inch, 5 qt Dutch.
Anyone have a pie iron like in the recent isse of MJF?
I'm going to order a couple when I can.
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:18:10 AM  Show Profile
I have a pie iron. My sister gave my other sister and I each a pie iron and a pie iron cookbook one year for Christmas because when we were all little girls our family would go camping quite frequently. It was always a big treat when my dad would get out the pie irons. For each pie iron, he would butter each side of two pieces of bread and put one on either side of the iron. Then he would take a big dollop of strawberry jelly and plop it in the center of the bread and clamp it together. Then he cut the edges of the bread away from the iron that were sticking out and place them in the campfire. Those were the best "pies"!!
When we moved to our current home there was a fire pit and I turned the place upside down trying to find that pie iron. I thought it had gotten tossed out with all of the things you don't pack during a move. But I later found it in a bunch of stuff in the storage unit we rented for what didn't fit in the moving van or the multiple trips we made with our horse trailer. Whew!! Can't lose the pie iron!!!
-Paula

'Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift' - Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  09:37:49 AM  Show Profile
Is the 12-inch Dutch Oven larger than 5 quarts? I should think that if the volume were the same, it wouldn't matter what the diameter is. But I don't cook with a Dutch Oven, technically, anyway. I got a large cast iron lidded put and I figured it was a Dutch Oven. My friend informed me that without a flat, rimmed lid, it was just a pot. At least I have it.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  10:23:03 AM  Show Profile
well, I better get me some pie irons, then! Good thing Paula found hers, lol!
Traildancer, you are right, you are lucky to have a pot that passes for a Dutch. The dang things are $65 new!
The guy who wrote the book I have is very specific about using the pot he deems worhty, for each recipe. Maybe I just need to go for it, making something pretty affordable the first time around in case of error.
Any more ideas?
Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  12:04:48 PM  Show Profile
Here's a site with lots of recipes http://www.scoutorama.com/recipe/ - other camping recipes too.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  12:40:30 PM  Show Profile
If you get RFD TV station there was a dutch oven tv show on there. She had different recipes each week.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  2:45:50 PM  Show Profile
I picked up a collection of best dutch oven recipes at Cabelas last year that i really like. It speaks in language of using hot coals as if placing the oven in a shallow pit or on a oven ground area. (i built a small cook pit next to our outdoor fire pit and it works great. ) I love the history included with many of the recipes. There is also a nook book edition of 101 great dutch oven recipes that i enjoy. I have been looking through my old girl scout leader books getting ideas as well. Last turkey day we did the entire meal, turkey with all the fixings over the fire and in the cooking pit. Came out great! If it had not been snowing, or at least warmer than the 14 degrees it would have been perfect! Did you know deer like cranberry sauce? lol

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  9:13:19 PM  Show Profile
Mary,
We have had pie irons for about 30 years and love them. I found a fun cook book in Lehman's catalog with really fun and good recipes last year. I think if you buy pie irons they sell them and I think you would love the cook book too. I bought pie irons which our in laws called toastites for our grown children last year from Lehman's and they were even nicer than our old ones. We have had so much fun with ours. They make the yummiest dinners and desserts. Happy camping!

barnagainkristin

barnagainkristin

"Others Before Self"
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  3:21:53 PM  Show Profile
So many awesome replies!
Thanks everyone. We have a total burn ban here in Texas right now. I will have to get busy once the weather changes/ we get some rain. I also joined the Lone Star Dutch Oven Society.
Barnagain, Lehman's is soooo dangerous- on the pocketbook ! Cabellas, too. We have one nearby. I'll have to tread with caution, lol!
Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

Sadie Hawkins
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Sarah
Reno NV
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  12:33:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh I love reading new places to find recipes! Here is a site that we use that has really come in handy.
http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/dutch-oven-recipes.htm
Go to Top of Page

LaceMistress
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

New York
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  04:04:46 AM  Show Profile
Pretty much anything you make in a normal caserol dish or crock pot can be translated to Dutch Ovens. For ultimate taste, be sure to get Dutch ovens that have not been enameled. ;)

Too much thread, so little time!
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Dutch Oven Cooking and Pie Irons Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page